Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bought a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV a little while ago, now that it's time to replace my wife's car a Nissan Tekra EV will arrive next week and it's time to think through the case for a 7kW charger!

However, we have a second home in a remote rural location, which is on an Economy 7 tariff, and it struck me that we might make best use of the OLEV grant if we have the new charge unit there instead. As we occasionally let it out, is there a charging unit that has a built-in timer facility to prevent charging during the hours that the supply is on the peak-rate tariff? If not, is there one that can be externally disabled by a timer for the same reason?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I don't think you read the post properly. Isn't the question the poster is asking whether there is a charge point with a built in timer, rather than use the car's, since the property will be let out to other people there. It also needs to be one that can't be fiddled by visitors.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Even with the OLEV, is the likely additional cost of such a unit going to be offset by the lowered cost?
Suppose you had someone who stayed there and did 100 miles a day. (unlikely probably to be that much ?)
At 4miles/kWh, thats 25 units a day. At a 10p differential between off peak and peak, £2.50.
Why not just charge say a fiver a day for charging and keep it simple and much more friendly for your customers who set their car timer to charge at off peak hours, find theres an issue beween your timer and theirs, come down in the morning to find their battery near to flat with no way of charging and no way of getting around that day despite the fact you advertised your accom as being EV friendly?
(plus then then they probably use their granny charger all day and most of the night at peak rate costing you more than if it worked on off peak).
Just ask them if they can to set their timer to charge overnight between X & Y to enable you to continue keeping costs down. I'm sure most would.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't think you read the post properly. Isn't the question the poster is asking whether there is a charge point with a built in timer, rather than use the car's, since the property will be let out to other people there. It also needs to be one that can't be fiddled by visitors.
Oops. Zappi had the feature but locking the timer would be harder.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, both. When I asked the question I was thinking more about encouraging guests to charge overnight from the ecological perspective rather than for financial reasons, but - particularly as the short answer to my question seems to be "no"! - having thought it through, it's likely that anyone taking an EV/PHEV to the Highlands will already be "EV friendly", so Joe's final point about asking nicely is the best solution.

It might help to dispel some "range anxiety" if we add the charging point to Zap-Map as well! :)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You could very reasonably put the 3.3 kW charger at the holiday site. That will allow charging at around 12 miles per hour charging, easily 100 miles on an overnight charge which should be plenty for holidaymakers. At the same time you'ld be limiting, to some extent, the power drawn at peak rate as you'ld be "encouraging" the charge to take longer & use the E7 rate more often, statistically. I've found even a single 13A socket to be adequate for local holidaying at B&Bs, and I only have a 10.4 kWh capacity! Keep your fast 7 kW one for your own personal use - I would!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oh... Whereabouts in the Highlands? If you get a chargepoint put in to your holiday home make sure to mention it on here. Targeted advertising ;)

And back on topic, I agree. Let visitors charge anytime but encourage overnight on the economy 7. I'd certainly happily do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts