Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just to introduce myself im from south glous and have recently placed an order for a cla 250e phev. My house on the pic is the one with the red highlights ive added on where i think i can place the charger with the wall position needing a rubber wire cover across the path. The parking space i own is right outside the house where the orange nissan note is and both the space and the paths to either side of the car are in the deeds as part of the property with access for neighbours also part of the deeds I also have the added dilema that the house has a 6w electric central heating system and the house has a single phase 100a fuse.As you can see from the pic i have i dilemma with where to site the box and am not sure if im eligible for the grant if i were to use the post option. Also with the central heating system am i just better off with a 3kw charger of even an outdoor socket?

Any advice would be great

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, just to introduce myself im from south glous and have recently placed an order for a cla 250e phev. My house on the pic is the one with the red highlights ive added on where i think i can place the charger with the wall position needing a rubber wire cover across the path. The parking space i own is right outside the house where the orange nissan note is and both the space and the paths to either side of the car are in the deeds as part of the property with access for neighbours also part of the deeds I also have the added dilema that the house has a 6w electric central heating system and the house has a single phase 100a fuse.As you can see from the pic i have i dilemma with where to site the box and am not sure if im eligible for the grant if i were to use the post option. Also with the central heating system am i just better off with a 3kw charger of even an outdoor socket?

View attachment 140586
Out door plug and granny charger would suit me am retired the 12 hours
To charge no problems.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply, i forgot to add im looking at a wallbox as i want to take advantge of low electric prices on octopus agile/go so the shorter charging time the better. Ive looked at an outdoor socket but the chargetime would be too long to take advantage of variable rate electric.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,748 Posts
I'm not sure that I understand the problem over siting a wall box where your red blob is showing as that would be perfect ( perhaps a foot higher) to charge your car in your allocated parking space. I presume that the new EV would park where the orange Note is at present. Why would you be concerned about covering a cable from there to the car?

The issue of existing power load in a house before a 32 amp wallbox can be sanctioned is one for the installer and the DNO to rule on. But there have been many houses where it has been allowed already. Much depends on the initial audit. But even if it is resisted there would probably be no issue over installing a 16 amp unit which would most likely be enough to replace power needed for normal commute needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks fr the reply, im veering towards the wallbox but my only concern is trailng the cable across to the car. As mentioned its within my property boundry but neighbours have the right to cross to access thier property which i think would mean no grant. Im thinking one of these Rubber cable protector to keep safe?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,748 Posts
What about mounting the wallbox near to the front door? A CLA 250e PHEV has its chargeport on the rear drivers side. If you then reversed into the space to leave a small gap between car and wall that would prevent anyone walking there and even being involved with the cable. That wallbox position would also enable you to park nose into the space and still connect to the chargeport with the cable tucked under the car. I would actually be more concerned about reversing in and the plug poking out sideways into that walkway than the cable under the boot on its way to the port door. Perhaps parking more towards the front door rather than sat on the driver side white line would solve that access poking out issue though.

That cover is a bit large for the task and there are numerous much cheaper alternatives around that would do the job. Loads around like this - 20mm Yellow High Cable Cover Many people just throw a piece of old carpet over as well, after edging it with yellow tape. But from your photo I don't really see a problem.

Another thought. As the PHEV battery is so small it should be capable of charging overnight inside a small time scale and even a 16 amp unit would cope to fill it up ready for next morning's commute.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many thanks for the reply, i forgot to add im looking at a wallbox as i want to take advantge of low electric prices on octopus agile/go so the shorter charging time the better. Ive looked at an outdoor socket but the chargetime would be too long to take advantage of variable rate electric.
Ohme commando cable 7.2 kw perfect for agile half price to octopus
Customers just get a 32a commando
Outlet installed is a good option.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I take it that is your electric meter box to the right of you front door?

Assuming there is space in there to install the connection for your charge point it should be a straight forward install, assuming you are happy for the installer to run the cable near ground level across the front of your house (can't see if there is space for this under your front door)

The other possibility would be if there is space for the wallbox on the same side of your front door as the meter box - even simpler install then.

I would think you will be fine with cable across the 'pavement' to your car as it is your property with access rights for neighbours rather than a public access.

I would go for a 32A charger for future proofing. There are a number of chargers (EVSEs to give them the correct name) that can be power limited by monitoring the current draw for the house and modulating their power output to avoid an overload.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
As someone else said, the CLA has a long tail. You could hang that backside over the path easy and the cable run would be non existent.

You literally have the perfect layout for EV charging, don’t overthink it

Reactions: Mattster1974

·
Registered
5,151 Posts

View attachment 140586
Just install a non tethered charger to ensure no out of use trip hazard from the cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take it that is your electric meter box to the right of you front door?

Assuming there is space in there to install the connection for your charge point it should be a straight forward install, assuming you are happy for the installer to run the cable near ground level across the front of your house (can't see if there is space for this under your front door)

The other possibility would be if there is space for the wallbox on the same side of your front door as the meter box - even simpler install then.

I would think you will be fine with cable across the 'pavement' to your car as it is your property with access rights for neighbours rather than a public access.

I would go for a 32A charger for future proofing. There are a number of chargers (EVSEs to give them the correct name) that can be power limited by monitoring the current draw for the house and modulating their power output to avoid an overload.
Thats correct regarding the meter box with the fuse box straight above this inside. There is a small gap between the house and path filled with gravel (inch wide) which runs ubder the front door step so no issues with routing to the meter box. Im looking at the ohme and will speak to them to see if there is current overload protection built in which will be great. Many thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats correct regarding the meter box with the fuse box straight above this inside. There is a small gap between the house and path filled with gravel (inch wide) which runs ubder the front door step so no issues with routing to the meter box. Im looking at the ohme and will speak to them to see if there is current overload protection built in which will be great. Many thanks all for the advice.
The ohme has ac and DC RCD protection built in overcurrent will have to be external

1 - 12 of 12 Posts