Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dedicated car park in front of my terrace house and wanted to get a charger installed.

Has anyone got an idea as to how this can be done cleanly? Have been advised by our management company that I will probably need permission to dig up the sidewalk to ensure the cables are concealed and do not cause a trip hazard. I suggested heavy duty cable protectors but they have essentially said no.

Anyone got a clever way of concealing cables or running them from the house to the car?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately had the same situation although the path between the house & car parking is owned by the council. In essence, no digging, no cables even with the “protective hump” cover and signs would suffice. Effectively a total no-go but if your road is privately owned you may have more luck.

Considering a dipped kerb is something like £1k where my council is I doubt they’d tear the path up for less than £2-3k.

Also noted a colleague struggled to get a home charger installed due to his lack of driveway not being attached to the house it wasn’t eligible for a grant?

I’ve now personally negotiated a street charger in my area instead.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have a dedicated car park in front of my terrace house and wanted to get a charger installed.

Has anyone got an idea as to how this can be done cleanly? Have been advised by our management company that I will probably need permission to dig up the sidewalk to ensure the cables are concealed and do not cause a trip hazard. I suggested heavy duty cable protectors but they have essentially said no.

Anyone got a clever way of concealing cables or running them from the house to the car?

Thanks in advance
Just curious, but is it fairly common with terrace houses to also have a management company. How many stories is the terrace house? Are their different owners for each floor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately had the same situation although the path between the house & car parking is owned by the council. In essence, no digging, no cables even with the “protective hump” cover and signs would suffice. Effectively a total no-go but if your road is privately owned you may have more luck.

Considering a dipped kerb is something like £1k where my council is I doubt they’d tear the path up for less than £2-3k.

Also noted a colleague struggled to get a home charger installed due to his lack of driveway not being attached to the house it wasn’t eligible for a grant?

I’ve now personally negotiated a street charger in my area instead.
Might need to do the same although because I bought an Etron, I received a free podpoint charger.
Will see what the management company says but not looking good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might need to do the same although because I bought an Etron, I received a free podpoint charger.
Will see what the management company says but not looking good.
Ah, likewise also purchased the E-Tron.

Depending on the area you live, you might be lucky and the council may be on your side. Some seem to be proactive in supporting on-street charging others not so much. Mine were fairly against it and I even managed to sway their decision using a letter and some basic explanation about lack of charging in the area yet the city is still pushing to be eco friendly etc.

Alternatively if a relatives house has a driveway it might be worth installing the charger there. Think you’ll struggle to get the installer to actually commit to installing it on a terraced house but it’s worth a try!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
A VW GTE owner @GTEJesper in Oxford had a similar problem and found that the best solution was to install a drain slot across the path into which he put the cable. This didn't allow him to access the OLEV grant but provided a workable solution.
Normally overhead solutions are not recommended except on your own property.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
A VW GTE owner @GTEJesper in Oxford had a similar problem and found that the best solution was to install a drain slot across the path into which he put the cable. This didn't allow him to access the OLEV grant but provided a workable solution.
Normally overhead solutions are not recommended except on your own property.
Is it a thing that terrace dwellers can willy nilly install drain slots across presumably council owned footpaths ( sidewalks)?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Is it a thing that terrace dwellers can willy nilly install drain slots across presumably council owned footpaths ( sidewalks)?
If you don’t give anyone a reason to complain to the council, they wouldn’t know. Don’t make it a trip hazard, and make sure any work is at least tidier than the horrific mess that Virgin Media somehow get away with, and you /should/ be fine.

Is that the correct way to do this? Not at all. But do I know of many people who have dodgy EV charging arrangements? Absolutely. And considering most of these people have been doing so for years it’s probably safe to assume they got away with it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If you don’t give anyone a reason to complain to the council, they wouldn’t know. Don’t make it a trip hazard, and make sure any work is at least tidier than the horrific mess that Virgin Media somehow get away with, and you /should/ be fine.

Is that the correct way to do this? Not at all. But do I know of many people who have dodgy EV charging arrangements? Absolutely. And considering most of these people have been doing so for years it’s probably safe to assume they got away with it.
I do admire the can do attitude and agree that a motivated terracian might well do a better job than say a cable installer
Unfortunately there are too many jobsworths at council's etc who may not agree.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I do admire the can do attitude and agree that a motivated terracian might well do a better job than say a cable installer
Unfortunately there are too many jobsworths at council's etc who may not agree.
The problem with any sort of groundwork like that is that it could shift/settle. A frost could lift an edge, an old lady trips and falls, and no insurance in the world will cover you for the result.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The problem with any sort of groundwork like that is that it could shift/settle. A frost could lift an edge, an old lady trips and falls, and no insurance in the world will cover you for the result.
Why a cable cover (ramp) in a bright yellow colour, only present when charging is a better idea. No need to worry about frosts. Removed when not being used.

Not really sure that anyone has the power to prevent the use of a cable cover (in the UK). Is there specifically a bylaw preventing their temporary use? Do construction companies have to apply specifically for each and every use?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I believe that an approved contractor had to install it.
Why a cable cover (ramp) in a bright yellow colour, only present when charging is a better idea. No need to worry about frosts. Removed when not being used.

Not really sure that anyone has the power to prevent the use of a cable cover (in the UK). Is there specifically a bylaw preventing their temporary use? Do construction companies have to apply specifically for each and every use?
Construction companies have public liability insurance in the £Millions that cover this. Generally a householder will only have cover for on their property, hence not including the footpath if it is communally owned.

Some Local Authorities (Dorset for example) have been proactive in producing policies as to what is allowed. However, if this is land privately owned by a management company it is their rules. The key is to deal with the right people and make them see their responsibility to provide an adequate solution - EVs are here to stay for the foreseeable future (about 1 hours time in BoJo's case ;) ) and whilst this may be the first time they have come across the issue it will be by no means the last and "No" is not an acceptable answer.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I would first of all track down the LA person tasked with all 'green' issues. Ask for a meeting and go armed with much data and info about grants, lampost charging, and how other councils are grasping this nettle.

In my experience, such low key department heads are always keen to expand their empire, and influence within their council, and if the government's avowed intent to extend EV charging is stressed to that person it gives them a lever to press for the beancounters to release funds or at least apply for grants.

Then pester that person weekly for updates - with a subtle threat that if they are not responding then both the local press and his CEO will be the next call made. There are numerous grant aided street charging schemes available and at some stage each council will be putting a toe in the water with trials. The aim is to get your street designated for that.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Good approach. Sadly now may not be the time as Councils have something else going on and a huge budget shortfall that may not be covered by Central Government.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts