Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to have a charger installed at home and I’m struggling to decide how to proceed and would value the input of some experienced hands.

My (current) requirements are;

• three phase (may as well as we have 3-phase installed?)
  • untethered - gives options for visitors/future additional charging requirements and I prefer the cleaner look when the cable is removed
  • integration with solar to charge from existing PV panels during the summer month
  • smart (potential to take advantage of octopus agile or similar in future)

In addition to the technical requirements I have one other, I want a tidy install.

I don’t want conduit running everywhere or blown brick faces. The house is only a couple of years old (I know shame they didn’t run the cabling during the build) and is currently very clean with no cables dangling down and I’d like to keep it that way.

I fired off a couple of quote request emails to Zappi installers about a week ago and received fairly similar information requests.

I’ve had one quote back so far at £1800+vat (£2163).

They’ve got a few photos but don’t appear interested in planning the cable route before coming to site.

Does anyone know an electrician in the Cambridge/Essex area who is competent to install these things and is prepared come to site and agree cable routing before starting the job?

I don’t mind waiting.

I don’t mind paying (a reasonable figure relative to the effort required).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm afraid I have no recommendations, but that seems very expensive. Perhaps double what it could be. Perhaps it's because you're requesting 3 phase?

I would also encourage you to reconsider a tethered unit, it is far more convenient.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
All your standard company’s will be a person behind a computer saying yes/no and sending an engineer. The engineer will likely choose the easiest way possible to get you up and running. If your bothered about looks and that makes it difficult then your better getting a local spark to run the cable the way you want it then apply via whatever company to complete. I get the feeling including mine they are not really wanting to get involved in a job that takes more than half a day.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
Not used this person - but have watched some of his YouTube videos of his work on EV point installations. Might be worth enquiring as he is in the Cambridgeshire area...
Electric Vehicle Charging Point Installers in Cambridgeshire - Artisan Electrics, OLEV Approved Installers in Cambridge

3-phase is a little more limiting... I actually have a 3-phase 22kW Schneider EVLink unit I am using as single-phase because I picked it up cheap on eBay. Nice unit - however not sure of it's PV capabilities.

Another consideration for PV and 3-phase would be a Tesla Chargepoint. That artisan guy has done both Tesla and Zappi installs so might be able to give you some ideas / choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m looking to have a charger installed at home and I’m struggling to decide how to proceed and would value the input of some experienced hands.

My (current) requirements are;

• three phase (may as well as we have 3-phase installed?)
  • untethered - gives options for visitors/future additional charging requirements and I prefer the cleaner look when the cable is removed
  • integration with solar to charge from existing PV panels during the summer month
  • smart (potential to take advantage of octopus agile or similar in future)
In addition to the technical requirements I have one other, I want a tidy install.

I don’t want conduit running everywhere or blown brick faces. The house is only a couple of years old (I know shame they didn’t run the cabling during the build) and is currently very clean with no cables dangling down and I’d like to keep it that way.

I fired off a couple of quote request emails to Zappi installers about a week ago and received fairly similar information requests.

I’ve had one quote back so far at £1800+vat (£2163).

They’ve got a few photos but don’t appear interested in planning the cable route before coming to site.

Does anyone know an electrician in the Cambridge/Essex area who is competent to install these things and is prepared come to site and agree cable routing before starting the job?

I don’t mind waiting.

I don’t mind paying (a reasonable figure relative to the effort required).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I know of a absolutely fantastic ok installer do you use intergram

1 - 5 of 5 Posts