Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

I only charge my London EV on the street

• I've flawlessly worked it into my life and don't notice it (please tell me how!)

• It's a minor inconvenience at times, but wouldn't stop me

• It's quite awkward at times - I wouldn't recommend it

• Don't do it!!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've had an EV itch that I've been wanting to scratch for years now, I built an electric bike years ago and was amazed by the torque and performance (10Kw motor on a 30kg bike). And a friend built a 300KW electric Mazda mx5, and recently I tested a Tesla P90D. The tech is incredible, no air pollution...I want in.

I live in a first floor flat in Westminster. I am limited to charging on the street.

Frustratingly, the charge point a few hundred metres away from my current parking spot has been permanently decomissioned (!) This is such a backward step. It seems there is some sort of argument happening between Westminster and Source London, resulting in no new charge points happening "in the near future" and Source London saying the Westminster the borough is categorically the worst for charge points in London.

The nearest charging point is 30mins walk away, I'm a busy man and this is too far to go to not be an inconvenience.

Before I jump into a two year lease, I really am unsure about how I can charge the car reliably, I wanted to ask for people's experiences with this.

I drive once every week, probably 40-80 miles, sporadically. Currently have a Porsche that I'd like to trade in for a BMW i3 rex.

What kind of real world experiences have people had with similar situations? Is it a massive pain??

I see my options as
1 - wait for situation to improve, while trying to campaign and pressure MPs
2 - move (seems excessive)
3 - get a hybrid car and try use the electric mode (although ironically this will require charging much more often to be pure-electric, as the range is only 25 miles (vs 120).
4 - Find a destination charging point (like a supermarket or cinema) that I could easily and reliably charge at, without too much inconvenience. Like a healthy new habit (ANY IDEAS AROUND W10 AREA??)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I lived in London for five years and the occasional zip car was generally enough but of course we all have different needs. I'd suggest driving to the nearest charging location once a week and buy a cheap bike you can throw in the back and cycle home when the traffic's light

The other thing you could do if, I'm assuming, you're driving out of the city on your weekly round trips is that on the way back stop at an Ecotricity rapid for half an hour, even at £6 it's cheaper than fuel, especially in the slow start-stop traffic of central London. You'll then have most of a full battery when you get home then rinse and repeat

Otherwise hope for the best that more charge points will be installed in the future. Like you've said they seem to have gone backwards in your locality recently but the overall trend is only going one way. I'm sure owning an EV, even in Westminster, will become much more convenient within the next couple of years

·
Registered
778 Posts
could you run a cable out the window over to a lamppost, down the lamppost and under a few paving stones to the kerb where you charge the car?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I bought my Ampera after 1st owner had it in London for 3 years, lived in Wimbledon in terraced house. Judging by the lifetime mpgs (56) I estimate it was run mostly on petrol during the 17k miles. But he obviously coped. I suspect he bought it to be diffferent from the crowd (he's Italian, car was red!), and for congestion-charge avoidance, maybe for zero annual tax & business-rate reductions (he was a company director). I think an i3 Rex would be better still; you have rapid charging when you do find a charger (unlike Ampera) , and good electrical range. Plus you'll never get stuck for lack of electrons. Any electric car is really nippy - on the few occasions I drive in London, I really like & make use of the ability to zip into traffic at the slightest sniff of a gap, manoeuvres I wouldn't dare in an ICE due to engine revving/clutch burning etc needed to achieve the same acceleration. Go for it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could you run a cable out the window over to a lamppost, down the lamppost and under a few paving stones to the kerb where you charge the car?
I live on one of the main artery roads into London unfortunately mate! The extension cord would have to be over 200 metres...but apart from that, totally doable :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lived in London for five years and the occasional zip car was generally enough but of course we all have different needs. I'd suggest driving to the nearest charging location once a week and buy a cheap bike you can throw in the back and cycle home when the traffic's light

The other thing you could do if, I'm assuming, you're driving out of the city on your weekly round trips is that on the way back stop at an Ecotricity rapid for half an hour, even at £6 it's cheaper than fuel, especially in the slow start-stop traffic of central London. You'll then have most of a full battery when you get home then rinse and repeat

Otherwise hope for the best that more charge points will be installed in the future. Like you've said they seem to have gone backwards in your locality recently but the overall trend is only going one way. I'm sure owning an EV, even in Westminster, will become much more convenient within the next couple of years
That's an interesting suggestion Sooms - although the fact of increasing journey times isn't a great incentive. I'd like to have it ready to ride.

Someone suggested "Vallie" - which is a courtesy car parking service, they will also charge EVs on a 22KWH. Costs £5/h - so potentially £15 for a full charge. But I'm slightly outside their zone, which means an extra £10...starting to get quite expensive to charge

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you intend to use public charge points as an alternate to home charging then I would suggest this is hogging a charge point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rex seems the answer. Grab a charge when you can otherwise you have the range extender to fall back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does this work in practice? Does anyone have unreliable patchy charging service (and no home charging) in a REX?

I'm warming more to leasing a Golf GTE for a bit, and using this as an "EV practice vehicle" while the charging in Westminster catches up (or I move) - without the penalty of not being able to dedicate a large amount of time to charging as part of my routine

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The best public charging experiences I have had are on 7 Kw posts when I am doing something else. Any supermarkets or shopping centre with chargers, a gym with a charger within 1/2 mile so you can run for a warm up and charge for an hour while at the gym ?. Rapids are o.k. for a journey but 15 mins is enough for a p and a coffee so they will be better when charge rates improve. Driving out of our way to find a rapid and waiting for 30 mins will soon become a PITA. Charge while you are doing something useful with your time such as work, gym, shopping is miles better. A REX seems ideal if you are doing relatively few trips as you might only need to charge once or twice a per week and can REX when no charger is available so ease into to the EV experience rather than the full fat BEV option.

·
Leaf lover
3,740 Posts
@Lost Track just buy the i3 rex. Do not delay the enjoyment of driving such a brilliant car. Do not feel guilty that you are using more petrol than the average i3 rex owner.
Once you have the vehicle you will find a charging set up somehow that fits into life.
What colour do you have in mind?

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you're only doing 40-80 miles a week, a longer-range EV like a Zoe ZE40 or Ioniq would only need charging every fortnight or longer, and an i3 94Ah would be just a little more often. If the Porsche sale facilitates buying a Tesla, it'd be more like every month.

With that sort of usage, you could justify hopping on a rapid for all your charging in my opinion, depending on how you feel about 40 minutes at a chargepoint's local facilities every few weeks.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I wouldn't even contemplate owning a car in your situation. Renting one, or even using a taxi for the journey, would be cheaper than owning a car, by a very long way.

·
EV Newbie!
42 Posts
Does this work in practice? Does anyone have unreliable patchy charging service (and no home charging) in a REX?

I'm warming more to leasing a Golf GTE for a bit, and using this as an "EV practice vehicle" while the charging in Westminster catches up (or I move) - without the penalty of not being able to dedicate a large amount of time to charging as part of my routine
I have home charging but patchy charging at some of the places I travel to for work. Same problem, just the other way round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think you'll end up never plugging it in because it's not convenient enough. The technology is advancing quickly so this decision might be very easy come 2020.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts