Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Hope you could help me with this. Got Zoe GT Line R135 Rapid Charge, we tried to charge it at home for the first time but the minute we plugged in the car the whole electricity in the house went off. Now we cannot charge the car at home or public places too.. any chance that the charger damaged the car so won't connect/charge now? Appreciate any comments and help. Thanks

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
552 Posts
A bit of background might help your thinking, but not solve the problem.

Your home charger is not a charger at all - just an intelligent switch that talks to the car, tells it what current it can supply, and having checked there is a car plugged into it (and therefore no terminals are exposed) closed a couple of relays to connect power to the car. So there isn't much that the charging unit can do to damage the car - it just connects 240 volts to it.

The charger is in the car, to convert AC to the DC needed to charge the battery.

It shouldn't trip the whole house. There should be a charge breaker (MCB/RCD/RCBO) dedicated to the charging unit and that should have tripped by itself, so there is something 'strange' about your home setup for the whole house to trip.

I presume that the charging unit is not being run from a breaker connected to the only RCD in the consumer unit. In that case, it could have tripped that RCD, cutting off the whole house.

It would help if you posted a photo of your consumer units and the DNO enclosure. And what home charging unit have you got?

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Who installed your charger and what is the Amp rating on your trip for the charger?

The Zoe will take the full power offered by the charger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts