Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Disagree with number 3: nothing wrong with top up charging. Also disagree with number 7, just because I have a petrol engine doesn't mean I want to use it.

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yes, if the lock is set to Auto then 5 mins after charging is complete it'll unlock the J1772.

I would also disagree with the "charge only when necessary" piece. The whole point of a BEV, especially a short range one is that you take a charge whenever you can.

For example if I pull into an ASDA to buy some provisions I'll put the car on charge. I cannot imagine waiting until the car is reading LBC and then spending 4 hours in ASDA.

Equally if I'm on the motorway an need a pee then I'll plug in - the 15 minutes will give me a good, reasonable charge.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
1. Your average person is going to have their own set of EV Rules in their head, and they're going to be skewed towards the selfish attitude average motorists display towards just about everything!

2. I wonder if there is a market, especially in the US where this article originated, for a discreet sticker on the charging port that says 'DO NOT UNPLUG - ARMED RESPONSE'.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Like @TeslaChallenge said, I didn't think you could unplug a car during charging.
Seano

A rapid charger typically has 2 bays but a charger that can only service one car. What on Earth do you think the second bay is for if not to allow for a second user to wait?

Now at the end of the charge the car will release the charger (mine has a lock button set to Auto just for this). If the charge had finished and I still had not returned to my car I would expect the next person to come along and unplug me. I would be saddened if my lack of time keeping or my not getting the car's email to say it was cooked delayed someone else.

Personally I would be quite happy for a rapid charger to have a 30 minute timer attached so forcing a driver to return and check for others. In such a circumstance were a driver having received 80% but wanting to go to 100% should hand over to a second needing 80% and then wait.

If the charger however is still delivering electrons to the car then unplugging a third party is a big no no.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Personally I would be quite happy for a rapid charger to have a 30 minute timer attached so forcing a driver to return and check for others. In such a circumstance were a driver having received 80% but wanting to go to 100% should hand over to a second needing 80% and then wait.

If the charger however is still delivering electrons to the car then unplugging a third party is a big no no.

Agree the rapid chargers unlock the car when they have finished and show on the screen the charge is complete. I dont see any problems unplugging someone at that point.

You cannot unplug them mid charge as the charger requires you to present their RFID card to stop the charge

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In fact if I saw someone had parked after me with their flap up (so to speak) but not around I'd be tempted to put them on charge myself - were it not for the knowledge that I'd be locking them in to the charge on my RFID

I guess one could assume 80%
Nice idea, but please don't do this. On a trip from Bristol to Langley this week I had to make multiple stops on each leg anyway (no destination charging) so my strategy was to quickly ride the 40kW charge rate for 10-15 mins to around 70% then move on.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Correct Jon.

In fact if I saw someone had parked after me with their flap up (so to speak) but not around I'd be tempted to put them on charge myself - were it not for the knowledge that I'd be locking them in to the charge on my RFID

I guess one could assume 80%
Yes thats a difficult one, I am sure if they left the flap up they want to charge but what happens if they have to leave in an emergency and they are stuck until the car completes the charge, difficult one

·
Registered
394 Posts
Everyone has their own ideas about public charging etiquette so compiling a meaningful list of 'guidance' is an almost impossible task IMO.

Saying that, I do like point 5 in this list and I think it's often forgotten. Some of the obnoxious comments on twitter regarding this have really made me cringe at times.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Saying that, I do like point 5 in this list and I think it's often forgotten. Some of the obnoxious comments on twitter regarding this have really made me cringe at times.
Agree the type of person who parks in a bay designated for others fall into two categories

1. Those who genuinely made a mistake and a polite conversation will get them to move and make it unlikely they will do it again.
2. Those who really don't care about anyone other than themselves, and any form of interaction is only going to get you a mouth full of abuse, and more likely they will do it again next time just to annoy you.

I usually just ask a simple "excuse me mate can I ask you to move along to one of those bays so I can use the charger" if I get any form of unhelpful/abusive response I walk away and report it to the site manager, no need for a slanging match in public. I wont get you anywhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Jason Wallace

Apology accepted :) I am new to this site and the whole EV world so I may have asked a stupid question.

I am pleased to report I am awaiting delivery of my brand new Leaf this week though. Have nbeen a convert in theory for a while now but only just able to afford the puchase.

The reason for posting was that I genuinely thought you needed the RFID card to "unlock" the cable regardless of what car you had. I was thinking along the lines that if I had just parked and plugged in, desperately needing to charge, and then someone else came along and unplugged me so that they could charge, I would be very angry. I have no problem with being unplugged if charge is complete (or at least to a level that I will need).

Does anyone know if the cables get locked in on a 2nd gen Leaf?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts