Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm interested in purchasing an EV, or PHEV and my partner is seriously considering the i3 Rex if we can get charging installed. I live in a block of apartments with a private car park, to which my parking spaces are within 20m of the electrical distribution room that I have a key for (and I'm soon to become the director of the building management company too).

We also have a wall present that runs across the front of the car park in front of all the car spaces, so should be suitable for mounting a charger.

In my eyes, there's 3 options:
1) Have a shallow trench dug, with/without a duct to feed cables. Total trench length would be around 20m. This option would also allow other residents to have EV charging fitted later on.
2) Run the cable under the private pavement that is between the property and the car park wall (about 2m) and then clip the cable along the wall.
3) Take the cable high level and run along a reinforced steel cable to a pole and drop down.

Does any of these feasible from people's experience? I've used two websites now that contact suggested companies on your behalf for the work and had zero replies. I have however been selecting an electrician, and this might fall under more building work with an electrician after.

If anybody is aware of a company that can do the work around Lincolnshire that would be amazing, or offer insight into if I'm just chasing something that will never happen.

Many thanks,
James

·
Registered
331 Posts
Definitely feasible, depending on your set up inside your distribution it shouldn't be to big a job.

Have a chat with a number of electricians who have experience in installs of this size regarding future proofing.

When you say Lincolnshire what postcode? I may know someone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The electric room is very accessible and even has its door lead on to the car park so this is good!

I'm in LN58 so fairly near town. If your contact is willing to service this area that would be incredible. Thank you!

Edit: The electricity supply room also has 3-phase incoming and my meter has 25mm tails so should be plenty of juice available for what I want (2x 7kw universal chargers).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
As above, all three are feasible but 2 is the obvious choice (with a large diameter conduit under the path to allow for other cables in the future). If you ever want to change to buried that could be done later when there's sufficient demand to cable to all parking spaces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I agree that 2 is the obvious choice for me, but it would then mean exposed cables as such along a 20m or so length of wall if more than mine were done. I'm not sure how that would go down? There's about 10 parking spaces so I can't imagine later down the line there being 10x 32A cables along the wall. I think option 2 is good for me as a one off, but the long term is number 1. Just my opinion, and maybe I'm wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts