Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Peugeot Partner EV
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a free Pod Point charger installed a few years back, which was fed with 2.5mm Twin & earth, so its capacity is around 3kW.

I'm in the process of getting a different EV that has 7kW charging. Obviously I'd need to install a fresh bigger supply cable for the 6kW, however does anyone know what settings I need to change inside the Pod Point, so it knows it can up its output to 7kW?

I've not looked at the flexible cable yet, of which I suspect I'll also have to change that as well.

Before I posted this, I've had a look at the pcb inside the Pod Point, I suspect it's wholly unsuitable, as all the terminals look to small for high currents and the relays are only rated at 15A. So it looks like I'd have to ditch the OEM pcb and install my own current protection.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge on this please?

·
Peugeot Partner EV
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stumbling block already... Just checked the plug on my Pod Point, and its a type one, so that's not compatible either :(

I had to set up a special charging system for my current EV with a 4 pin and earth 32A style red plug, hence not noticing what the Pod Point had.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I was going to say that PodPoint can change the charge rate remotely via the WiFi connection providing your installation is up to it. But then I read that you will need the (tethered) cable upgrading to a Type 2 connector, so I don't know what that would cost. It might be cheaper to buy a whole new unit. It's worth checking with your electrician what's needed.

Your fuse on the incoming main may need upgrading by your DNO - PodPoint restricted mine to 3.6kW until my 60A fuse was replaced by 100A, after which they upgraded it to 7kW down the line.

I'm assuming that the Peugeot Partner is your replacement EV, as looking at the specs, that's the one that has the Type 2 socket. Interesting that the DC rapid charging port is located in a completely different place on the vehicle, so is that CHAdeMO? Otherwise if CCS that would be integrated with your Type 2 socket. (I know this isn't relevant to your question, but I was just intrigued - I don't know why the specs don't actually say what system is used.)

·
Peugeot Partner EV
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming that the Peugeot Partner is your replacement EV,
The Pug is the outgoing EV, to be replaced with a Leaf.

The supply to the Pod will have to be completely replaced, right from the meter as the present cable is jut too small.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts