Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It's not good, but then again around Milton Keynes this festive season I've never seen so many charge points out of action, there are MANY of them (13a and 32a) but VERY few have been operational over the past month or so. So it seems it's not just rapid charging for longer journeys we can't rely on, it's Chargemaster & Pod-Point "slow" and "fast" chargers too, so even "safe" destination charging isn't to be trusted.

Range (and/or range extenders as a stop-gap) really are the ONLY viable long term answer in my opinion, as it's unrealistic and unsustainable to rely on charging on-route, or even at destination as a the normal way of doing things.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I do agree Paul... however, we shouldn't ignore the fact that some forms of destination charging is very reliable... such as at hotels, restaurants, pubs, B&Bs that have ZeroNet charging stations installed. Whilst most of these are not open to the public without the purchase or patronage of a product or service of the proprietor many times those products or services are ones you might want to purchase anyway (breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, accommodation etc) but even if not then a polite request often results in them allowing you to charge anyway as, almost by definition, they support EV use in general and are unlikely to turn away a reasonable request, especially if you offer to publicise their kindness on Twitter etc :)

ZeroNet might be limited mostly to private locations but as EV range increases, and less charging is required on route, so destination charging such as ZeroNet will become more important.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Paul I actually believe it will go the other way, longer range EVs will make destination charging less important, when you reach a destination you wont be bothered faffing around charging if you can make it home again no problems. Only for longer distance drives will you need to destination charge

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
It's interesting that talking to Dutch guys, it's clear that ABB's chargers (which are actually Dutch from the former company Epyon that was bought out) are very reliable and over there they also have a network of the DBT chargers that are just as reliable as those in this country.

The red ones on this map of DBT sites are out of order.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Only for longer distance drives will you need to destination charge
IMO as range increases drivers will only bother charging when they really need it, or it's convenient because they are stopping anyway (assuming the charge rate is acceptable and the fee low).

I continually extend the range of my EV beyond ~200 miles by charging when away from home... for example, in the last week I charged overnight at my Hotel while walking on Exmoor. I also added range during a NT visit recently because at 32A I could gain a decent amount during a morning.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Kevin I agree, however if I am out for dinner and say have 100 mile drive home (sounds a lot but when on business it happens quite a lot) if my EV has 150 miles range remaining, I may not bother topping up, getting the cable out in the dark for a free charge becomes a choice at that point. Today I charge up every chance I get but thats because of smaller ranges

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@jontracey You are right Jon but that only really applies to trips that are a return trip that is within range. This last 2 days I did 265 miles each way. I would have still needed public charging even if I had a top-spec Tesla Model S.

I think that you are I are both right in a way... public charging will be needed less for return trips within range but destination and other public charging will still be necessary for longer trips such as my 530 miles over 2 days.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Agree however normal people don't do too many 300 mile trips a year so number of charges away from home should be limited. What happens when we see a 500 mile range EV ?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is a big range of what "normal" is Jon.

You can go on increasing range until you only need to charge one a year... or why not make it nuclear then only once per lifetime of the car!

Of course, I am being flippant but joking aside, of course there will be less need for destination or on route charging as range increases but it will always been needed and if you accept that then the question is where do you put the charging? If you are selective to where it goes then there is a real risk of it always being in the wrong place when you want to use it.

The only real solution to this in my opinion is to consider all charging important and to have lots of it. That way, for the few times you want to drive that 400 mile trip you can do so without it being a problem.

As for the 500 mile range car... ICEs do that now and yet I can't imaging that people would say there is a need for less petrol stations. IMO the same applies to EVs. The more there are the less the inconvenience when you need one.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
This is why there's not a petrol station couple of miles or so in every direction around Milton Keynes, because petrol and diesel cars have ranges of hundreds of miles...

But wait, there ARE?!

Perhaps the more range we get, the more "random" and frequent charge points will be, as people will just want to top-up and when it suits, rather than when they need to or it fits the journey. Like they do with regular fuel cars?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I use a combination of destination and en-route charging. Most is of course at home. My selection is of course influenced by my limited range (nissan leaf gen.1)

Destination charging I've used when visiting friends/family or taking son to uni (southampton->bristol). The only challenge is that it may mean the whole day (domestic) or most of the day (16A). 32A charging makes this much more viable (half the working day)

But I have to get to my destination in the first place. I tend to want to go point to point. WIth limited range this means rapid charging en-route (usually 1 or 2 RCs). I also use RCs near "destination" if I'm only on a brief visit.

So I need both

If my range were doubled I would likely still want rapid (and now at 2x the rate?) for longer journeys - but less frequently.

I probably only do a few RC-needing trips a month though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts