Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Are you expecting them to spend money they don't have to?

If you are buying a luxury house at inflated prices I expect you'll get better - but it would most likely be a recommended option along with the optional gold bath taps, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I like the way the product description says at the end "Can be used as an outdoor power socket", when all they've actually done is take an existing outdoor socket product, re-label it on their website, and no doubt add £20 to the price!!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
They've had those for sale for a very long term.
I'm pretty sure they don't meet the regulations for a real EV charging socket though.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I've been told that there is no such requirement and all the new houses I've looked at don't have chargers or any reasonable way to fit one in many cases.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My builder agreed to fit a number of ‘add ons’ to get a sale. Included in the contract was a 7kW EV charging point. Unfortunately, the sales team forgot to tell the electrical contractor. When we moved in, a charging point had been fitted simply by wiring the unit into the existing 32 amp garage ring main. There was no mention of the charging point in the Electrical Certificate. Rectification included running a new armoured cable from the house to the garage etc. I never asked whether the electrician got paid for this additional work.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
I like the way the product description says at the end "Can be used as an outdoor power socket", when all they've actually done is take an existing outdoor socket product, re-label it on their website, and no doubt add £20 to the price!!
And the rest.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There are quite a few new housing developments in the South Lakes area just now, and some I have seen in passing certainly have EV chargers installed from the word go. There are also some rather nice apartment conversions of former industrial premises in my nearest town centre, and these have Rolec chargers installed in each parking bay/space (I have looked). I think my local authority now has a planning stipulation that new builds are to have EV charging.

A little while back I also read something about all newly installed street lighting on new developments must also now have lamp posts with integral EV charging : a la Ubitricity........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts