Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
o_O tax on the stupid anyone...?...can't imagine where they're going with that one!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yep, you make a good point jeffrey. I'd suggest you start by offering 20% off and see if you can come to a compromise in the middle at 10% off.
:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Ha. I guess they will change soon so captured below :)

Screenshot_20200516-114330_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
241 Posts
Forget the purchase price... focus on those fuel and tax savings.... think of all the petrol costs you are saving... oh and that it needs no maintenance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wonder if you could claim the VAT back if you bought it for "business" purposes, nice saving there too!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I offered them my19 plate Kona Premium 64 in part exchange at £360,000 - I'll let you know if they bite. 🤣

John.

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
They’ll sell them at £30k, then the AT data will be screwed up and someone will report EV depreciation as 90% in one year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
IMO EV's are definitely OVERPRICE, since they have the 'quality'(space/inner decoration/suspension etc) that equals to the petrol counterpart which only costs about 1/2 to 1/4 of the EV version. And it would literally take you huge amount of distance/range travelled to cover(money saved from using electricity) the price difference between EV and petrol version.

Though that's just my opinon o_O.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
IMO EV's are definitely OVERPRICE, since they have the 'quality'(space/inner decoration/suspension etc) that equals to the petrol counterpart which only costs about 1/2 to 1/4 of the EV version. And it would literally take you huge amount of distance/range travelled to cover(money saved from using electricity) the price difference between EV and petrol version.

Though that's just my opinon o_O.
That sort of comparison only matters in a some bizarre universe where you buy a car, spend money on running it, then never sell it.

The total cost of ownership includes the resale value of the car, and whilst more expensive, EVs have proven to have stronger resale values than ICE. So when you compare depreciation costs, rather than purchase prices, you get a completely different conclusion. More often it's already cheaper when you look at depreciation before you even get to running costs....

This to me is far more relevant, as it is what happens in the real world (i.e I buy used cars, run them for a few years, then sell and buy another).

Of course there is a strong argument that the higher prices of EVs are a barrier to entry for a lot of people. I agree with that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here we have alot of EV cars running, but the resale value of EV is still pretty sad, it's about 40% of its original value after 3 years, and it's only about 10%-20% after 5-6 years of service, which is very poor compare to its petrol counterparts.
That sort of comparison only matters in a some bizarre universe where you buy a car, spend money on running it, then never sell it.

The total cost of ownership includes the resale value of the car, and whilst more expensive, EVs have proven to have stronger resale values than ICE. So when you compare depreciation costs, rather than purchase prices, you get a completely different conclusion. More often it's already cheaper when you look at depreciation before you even get to running costs....

This to me is far more relevant, as it is what happens in the real world (i.e I buy used cars, run them for a few years, then sell and buy another).

Of course there is a strong argument that the higher prices of EVs are a barrier to entry for a lot of people. I agree with that.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Here we have alot of EV cars running, but the resale value of EV is still pretty sad, it's about 40% of its original value after 3 years, and it's only about 10%-20% after 5-6 years of service, which is very poor compare to its petrol counterparts.
Bit different in the USA and pretty much mirrored in the UK

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
Bit different in the USA and pretty much mirrored in the UK

Also the problem is exaggerated in the UK and elsewhere as most EVs early on had large dealer contributions under PCP. If you take that into account, some EVs were even appreciating.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My P ION is worth more than i bought it for 3yrs ago and my brand new E Golf is worth what i bought it for 1.5 yrs ago admitedly after the grants. EVs are cheaper than ICE -end of, they just cost more to buy initially.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Blimey! Your local scrappy must be incredibly generous!:)

I know you've made the point before regarding TCO, but we still haven't got down to the market I've been in until now. £4000 on a car in 2013 and no major servicing expenses since (wear and tear items such as brake pads, suspension bushes, tyres excepted). That has been the pattern of my car ownership, depreciation has hardly been a factor and my current one is effectively fully depreciated even if I could get £1k+ for it.

Now I appreciate an early Leaf might be a good buy as a second car if it were to be used for a regular commute within range (I exclude an old Zoe due to the never ending battery lease costs), but for an only vehicle we aren't there yet in the second hand market.

I'm indeed looking, and deeply tempted, but guilt holds me back from spending X3 or more than I've ever spent before on a car, particularly when the current one is still healthy. The current situation is also a consideration.

This whole debate on here is still influenced by the constituency of people who are interested in EVs and tend to spend more on vehicles, and I don't mean that as a criticism. But I don't think there is much awareness of other groups. It always makes me smile when I read about people fussing over colour/stereo/screen display etc. whereas for me it's been reliability, economy and capital cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts