Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Founder of Franklin Energy
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We are currently assessing a roll-out strategy of what locations will work best for our LiFe charging network. Does anyone have access to data showing EV and PHEV ownership in the UK and the demographics of drivers?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Robert.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Why the demographics of the drivers? Do you have to be married with at least 2.4 kids before you can use one of your chargers? Or are the chargers so cumbersome that folk over 55 can't handle them?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hello all,

We are currently assessing a roll-out strategy of what locations will work best for our LiFe charging network. Does anyone have access to data showing EV and PHEV ownership in the UK and the demographics of drivers?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Robert.
Who is "we" in this context. Should you be declaring commercial interest in your signature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
WTF has the demographic got to do with it ? If you are planning rapids (43-50kw DC), put a chip and pin or contactless payment method on the side and charge 25-30p per min or 25-30p per kWh with no connection fee or subscription club or card membership and you'll have a runner.

The cynic in me assumes from you question you are hoping for some subscription (£20 pa) on the basis you can gain SAGA holiday vouchers or free delivery of the Guardian for each rapid charge. Wake up call, no one wants that s**t.

No one wants clubs, apps, cards, bonuses, or any other restrictions; they want easy access to a charger for any desired length (quick or long), and they seem to be prepared to pay roughly 3 times the cost of domestic energy to rapid charge. If the sums do not work on the above figures and payment method, you are barking up the wrong tree for a route to the loot. @donald has a thread on here with the basic economics which I cannot find at the moment, but it is not the money spinner you had hoped.

In answer to your question, mid 40's, 3 kids, above average income, professional/degree level education if that has any remote influence on a "role out strategy"....ffs.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Try OLEV. But you need to move a bit quicker , your web site appears to have not been updated since 2014 (and could do with a few less apostrophes ;)).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,756 Posts
The demographics of ownership now won't necessarily be the demographics of ownership going forward so it's potentially flawed thinking.

I wouldn't personally use a charger somewhere like a KFC or Mcdonalds as they're not places I'd visit. Is that what you're getting it? If you have the choice of the M & S/Waitrose type location vs the Asda/KFC type of location?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys, come on. It's perfectly reasonable for a company considering a new venture to research who their customers are likely to be, which includes demographics along with various other factors. New chargers should be encouraged, not met with derision.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By demographics, I am referring to geographical location of EV owners. Any information on EV per capita would also be helpful. We are trying to de-risk this as much as possible by carrying out due diligence on potential locations to host our charging points before we commit to a multi-million investment into a charging network.

Many thanks.

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try OLEV. But you need to move a bit quicker , your web site appears to have not been updated since 2014 (and could do with a few less apostrophes ;)).
Our website is being updated as we speak. Our new site will be launched in late February.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
By demographics, I am referring to geographical location of EV owners. Any information on EV per capita would also be helpful. We are trying to de-risk this as much as possible by carrying out due diligence on potential locations to host our charging points before we commit to a multi-million investment into a charging network.

Many thanks.
It's an interesting question about the relationship between EV home location and charger demand. For instance I live in Worcester Park in south west London but am completely uninterested in any rapids within 50 miles of home. My most frequent personal travel is also in only a couple of directions: westwards along the M4 and north-east up the A12. The former is well-served by chargers in Reading, while the latter is much more problematic.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,756 Posts
Birmingham is quite high up the EV ownership list.

How about busy routes where there aren't any rapid chargers at all already? The East/West Midlands routes between Shropshire and Norfolk have sod all. Derbyshire has next to sod all. Sheffield has next to sod all. Shropshire has next to sod all. Telford is a key location with one Ecotricity. Shrewsbury. Again one ecotricity. Whitchurch is on a key route. Belper, Chesterfield, Derby, Alfreton, Bakewell, Buxton, Macclesfield Uttoxeter, Stamford. All on busy routes, commonly visited towns, through towns to other places, key interchanges and there is either no rapid or one motorway Ecotricity rapid. Chester doesn't have a town centre rapid at all. Stoke On Trent is another. One rapid at a Nissan dealer and a bunch of 7kw posts in some multi storey in a town centre miles from a sensible route. The A500/A50 is a hugely busy route. So is the A54 and the A34. Naff all chargers on the A50 apart from one at Shardlow, which is the wrong side of the A38 for a lot of people.

It's where people visit or want to visit in an EV that is important not necessarily where they actually live. If there are rapids every 20 miles on major routes then you have so much more choice of where you can go and how.

If you just concentrate on where EV owners live now you end up with a load of chargers in Milton Keynes and London and no where else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Robert,

I would ask Zap-map if they can share their charging update comments from their users with you. Their website seems to be used by a broad spectrum of the EV car owners (I think)

Regards
Phil

·
The best there is at what I do
10,268 Posts
Anywhere except Milton Keynes, Wales or the West Country would be a good place to put chargers.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts