Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

261 - 280 of 313 Posts

·
The essence of good design is simplicity
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
I want the EV equivalent of a Daihatsu Terios (8") or Suzuki Jimny (8.3") but preferably lighter.
Virtually all today's EVs are overpriced townymobiles that wouldn't cut it in places I (or the average farmer) go to regularly.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
848 Posts
So, still no small 4wd EV on the Horizon for me?
BTW, have any of the chargers that come with EVs have a Solar Panel input?
How small do you mean? It looks like the ID.4 and it's variants (such as the Enyaq) will have AWD on some versions. Alternatively, Twisted will convert your Defender to electric for a genuine off-roader.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,128 Posts
I want a 600 mile range luxury cruiser that recharges in 5 min. What's wrong with those stupid manufacturers?
I reckon you will get one before Marcusx gets his little 4x4.
You'll be paying top dollar, of course.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #268 (Edited)
How small do you mean? It looks like the ID.4 and it's variants (such as the Enyaq) will have AWD on some versions. Alternatively, Twisted will convert your Defender to electric for a genuine off-roader.

As above, about the capacity of a Suzuki Jimny.
Not been able to find the ground clearance of the Skoda Eniaq, which does not bode well.
An electric version of the Fiat Panda 4x4 might do it:

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
I want a 600 mile range luxury cruiser that recharges in 5 min. What's wrong with those stupid manufacturers?
I want a smallish E.vehicle designed for the countryside, where a large part of the world population lives. What's wrong with those stupid manufacturers?

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
HEV/PHEV no good?
HEV defeats the object of the excercise, which is to recharge from solar panels as much as poss.
Just looking at the Fiat Panda 4x4 but it's only hybrid. I want to get away from fuels altogether.
Still waiting for a reply to the question of which EVs include a charger with a solar panel input? Seems to be a kind of obvious feature to include for any car designer with half a braincell.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,849 Posts
HEV defeats the object of the excercise, which is to recharge from solar panels as much as poss.
Just looking at the Fiat Panda 4x4 but it's only hybrid. I want to get away from fuels altogether.
Still waiting for a reply to the question of which EVs include a charger with a solar panel input? Seems to be a kind of obvious feature to include for any car designer with half a braincell.
You could just improve your driving skills to drive a city car off road.

I took a Cortina mark 3 up an unmarked track once, admittedly a lot bumpier than I thought it might be, to be accosted at the other end by a military chap who basically said 'how the hell did you manage to get here', to which I said 'there were no signs not to' and he said 'we didn't think we needed to put up any signs, wasn't expecting anyone to make it'. The surprise and possibly admiration was sufficient that he left us to our picnic! ;)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,372 Posts
You could just improve your driving skills to drive a city car off road.

I took a Cortina mark 3 up an unmarked track once, admittedly a lot bumpier than I thought it might be, to be accosted at the other end by a military chap who basically said 'how the hell did you manage to get here', to which I said 'there were no signs not to' and he said 'we didn't think we needed to put up any signs, wasn't expecting anyone to make it'. The surprise and possibly admiration was sufficient that he left us to our picnic! ;)
Many years ago I went up the 'drive' (dirt track) to a farm where my Mother in Law lived as a child in Northumbria. In a T reg Focus. Almost a year later the MOT tester (my brother) pulled an oblong plug of dried mud and grass, about 1m long, out of the front cross member. Needs must when the devil drives.

Reactions: Jon72

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
???
So, only Townies can afford, and buy, new cars? (or is it because virtually nobody makes EVs for reliable countryside use...?) In overcrowded GB alone over 20% live in what is classified as rural areas. Most country's percentages are much higher. I live in the Azores Islands which are said to be the lowest income in Portugal and many farmers here have new pickup trucks which cost more than townie cars.
I suggest you go and spend some time outside of suburbia, towns and ... the UK.

There is no "Standardised Solar panel output".
Panel output is (obviously) DC and varies in voltage from zero to over 100V depending how much sunshine there is.
That is why there needs to be a separate solar panel input on an EV charger.
The electronics are relatively simple and low-cost. It would actually not be much more complicated for it to double as a wind generator input.
But if you prefer there to be no such input, just don't use it and pay for all of your electricity and supply infrastructure instead.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,128 Posts
???
So, only Townies can afford, and buy, new cars? (or is it because virtually nobody makes EVs for reliable countryside use...?) In overcrowded GB alone over 20% live in what is classified as rural areas. Most country's percentages are much higher. I live in the Azores Islands which are said to be the lowest income in Portugal and many farmers here have new pickup trucks which cost more than townie cars.
I suggest you go and spend some time outside of suburbia, towns and ... the UK.

There is no "Standardised Solar panel output".
Panel output is (obviously) DC and varies in voltage from zero to over 100V depending how much sunshine there is.
That is why there needs to be a separate solar panel input on an EV charger.
The electronics are relatively simple and low-cost. It would actually not be much more complicated for it to double as a wind generator input.
But if you prefer there to be no such input, just don't use it and pay for all of your electricity and supply infrastructure instead.
If you are after a big pickup that costs more than a townies car you will be spoilt for choice in maybe two years time.

Assuming that you can get the vehicles that are available in USA .

·
Registered
635 Posts
???
So, only Townies can afford, and buy, new cars? (or is it because virtually nobody makes EVs for reliable countryside use...?) In overcrowded GB alone over 20% live in what is classified as rural areas.
I think you answered your own question. They have no interest in the 20% who live in the rural areas, until they have supplied the easy 80% who dont. Also, as a Salesman who has sold a lot to farmers over 30 years, i have never come across a Farmers home i couldn't reach via a tarmac or concrete road surface.

Sure the Farmers all had 4x4 , or Tractors, but access to the Farmers living space, to the road network , and the shops where then "townies" live, no problems. You will have to have two vehicles, or wait for 100% electric pickups like the FORD F150 pickup coming to the USA soon.

A small agricultural 4x4 will be years off because there is bugger all demand for them, Landrover dont make a agricultural model anymore, they sell more "Discoveries" to mummy's in London than they do farmers. You best hope is that Subaru make a BEV version of the Forester, but dont hold your breath as it is such a small car company.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Not after a BIG anything. Just something small, EV and designed to cope with rough tracks that may have been washed away by torrential rain. The farmers here use big things like Mitsubishi L200s because they MUST be able to see to their animals even in bad weather. I just want a small electric 4WD.
BTW, WTF is a "Sports Utility Vehicle" anyway??? People who buy one use it for Sports? What does the "Utilty" mean?
What is a "Sports Utility" and why would you want it??? It seems like terminology aimed at Townies.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I think you answered your own question. They have no interest in the 20% who live in the rural areas, until they have supplied the easy 80% who dont. Also, as a Salesman who has sold a lot to farmers over 30 years, i have never come across a Farmers home i could reach via a tarmac or concrete road surface.

Sure the Farmers all had 4x4 , or Tractors, but access to the Farmers living space, to the road network , and the shops where then "townies" live, no problems. You will have to have two vehicles, or wait for 100% electric pickups like the FORD F150 pickup coming to the USA soon.

A small agricultural 4x4 will be years off because there is bugger all demand for them, Landrover dont make a agricultural model anymore, they sell more "Discoveries" to mummy's in London than they do farmers. You best hope is that Subaru make a BEV version of the Forester, but dont hold your breath as it is such a small car company.
In the UK it's only around 20%. In most of the world the number living in the countryside is much higher.
I really want to get a 4wd EV but the higher price and lack of choice takes away the incentive. The extra 10-20k spent on petrol instead is years of running costs for us. If we drive down a track or normal road where cows have just been moved it gets covered in cow5hit.
In most of the world people in the countryside use other vehicles than just Landrovers.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
So, only Townies can afford, and buy, new cars? (or is it because virtually nobody makes EVs for reliable countryside use...?)
Pretty much, yes. As others said, why would the embryonic EV industry service a minority who want something really hard to do cheaply just for you?

In overcrowded GB alone over 20% live in what is classified as rural areas.
But few of that 20% actually go off-road. Rural doesn't mean there is no tarmac like it might in, say, Africa.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Pretty much, yes. As others said, why would the embryonic EV industry service a minority who want something really hard to do cheaply just for you?

But few of that 20% actually go off-road. Rural doesn't mean there is no tarmac like it might in, say, Africa.
Eerm... 20=30% of the population is a hugely significant market share.

Well yes, many do need to have the capability to drive down a muddy track, through snow or through a field, on a bad day normal roads can have what you describe as "off-road" conditions.
You seem unaware of countryside conditions in bad weather. I suppose Townies only go there when it's sunny because their no ground clearance cars can't cope in bad weather. Not doable unless they have a "Sports Utility Vehicle (whatever TF that is supposed to describe? Most people don't even do sports.).

261 - 280 of 313 Posts