Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
Outlander
4,042 Posts
The vast majority of cars are simple 2wd city ICE cars, and getting rid of those is the immediate priority.

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
You seem unaware of countryside conditions in bad weather. I suppose Townies only go there when it's sunny
You are completely unaware of my driving experience. You also seem unable to read and understand what has been written.

It's quite a window on human nature that you and at least one other on here have been going on and on for months about some idea that you think shows carmakers aren't doing something that is clearly vital to humanity - and yet no-one agrees. A variation on the "It's them, not me" syndrome I guess.

I'll leave you to it now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You are completely unaware of my driving experience. You also seem unable to read and understand what has been written.

It's quite a window on human nature that you and at least one other on here have been going on and on for months about some idea that you think shows carmakers aren't doing something that is clearly vital to humanity - and yet no-one agrees. A variation on the "It's them, not me" syndrome I guess.

I'll leave you to it now.
True. This dude seems to think he knows more than the billion $/£/€ marketing departments of Tesla and big auto. They all seem to think the world wants hatchbacks, SUV's and pickup trucks, so that's what they put the most effort into making. Even the humble "townie" estate car is a dieing beast.

If the majority of the car buying world needed a high ground clearance 4x4 crossover, that is what they would make. But that market sector is tiny (and quirky) from what I can see even in the legacy Auto's current ICE models. As i said, they sell more 4x4 SUV to yummy mummy's than for country folk.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There seems to be a fair bit of resentment against 'townies' on here, and rather too many assumptions.

Where I used to live in the Italian Alps there were an awful lot of non-4WD Pandas which could go anywhere and my Fabia with decent tyres was equally adept at handling bad conditions. Plenty of three wheel Api as well, with their loads of firewood or couple of goats on the back! To be honest there's probably a bigger world wide market for electric three wheelers than 4x4s, so I hope that poster doesn't get upset when they get priority..

·
The essence of good design is simplicity
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
How weird that the SUV has such massive popularity then, a fact which the last few posters seem to have completely missed.
What I describe is essentially a lightweight SUV, the thing that some environmental groups say Governments should be encouraging to take the place of heavy, fuel guzzling SUVs. I am, however, not surprised that those who are the problem can't see the solution.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hang on, just who is part of the problem? I would not think that is many on here. More those who are holding off getting an EV because no one makes one that matches their exacting requirements. The carmakers know very well what the most popular and, perhaps more importantly, the most profitable vehicle types are and will base their production on those factors. For example, I expect to be waiting a long time for an electrified Austin Ambassador.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Hang on, just who is part of the problem? I would not think that is many on here. More those who are holding off getting an EV because no one makes one that matches their exacting requirements. The carmakers know very well what the most popular and, perhaps more importantly, the most profitable vehicle types are and will base their production on those factors. For example, I expect to be waiting a long time for an electrified Austin Ambassador.
Another one who is unaware of the massive scale of demand for SUVs and the environmentally friendly answer of a lightweight electric SUV. YOU are part of the problem.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
848 Posts
Another one who is unaware of the massive scale of demand for SUVs and the environmentally friendly answer of a lightweight electric SUV. YOU are part of the problem.
A Volkswagen e-Up weights just 100kg short of a Suzuki Jimny. Your aspirations are just unrealistic. Electric precludes lightweight by definition.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Yes, EVs are heavier than equvalent ICE cars. It's about pollution, not weight.
If you could buy a huge, heavy electric SUV and charge it only from solar and wind, it would most likely pollute less than the lightest SUV you could buy of any class. That's what it's all about! Thing is that Car makers don't even supply chargers with the necessary direct solar/wind inputs I go on about, so it's almost impossible to save any electricity cost or be greener! I therefore want a "relatively" light electric 4wd SUV, if you want to be pedantic. "

The mistake gullible people make is to trust the "wisdom" and "environmental friendliness" of car makers when history has shown that they are solely interested in fleecing you. You only have to look at the inanity of their ads. They don't even bother with promoting any technical advantages any more. It's almost all about appealing to ego and vanity. Loads of ads don't even tell you the ...ing price!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A Volkswagen e-Up weights just 100kg short of a Suzuki Jimny. Your aspirations are just unrealistic. Electric precludes lightweight by definition.
Only to a certain extent. There isnt a huge difference between an i3 and equivalent sized cars like a fiesta, a bev ioniq is lighter than the phev version and some classic conversions dont weigh too much more than the original either..

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
848 Posts
That's a pretty poor example though, @Hairy Leafer - the i3 is light because BMW went to extreme (and very expensive) lengths to use materials like carbon fibre. PHEVs are heavy because they're the worst of both worlds.

@Marcusx, it must be exhausting going through life so cynical.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
Hmmm.

CF is expensive. Batteries are expensive and heavy. SUVs are expensive and heavy.

Let's look at some numbers:

e-up! 1230kg **
i3 1270kg £34,000 (120Ah 42kWh / 38 usable)
ID.3 1600kg* £35,880
LEAF 40 1600kg £27,000
LEAF e+ (63kWh) 1720kg £33,295
Model 3 SR+ (54kWh usable) 1750kg £40,490
Model 3 LR 1850kg (75kWh?) £46,990
iX3 £58,000 2260kg

The £58,000 iX3 is 1000kg heavier than a £34,000 i3.

Prices MSRP OTR after £3k Plug in Car Grant.

*according to wikipedia. Doesn't say which battery.
** not availble in UK no price on vw.co.uk

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
There are some Ev mfrs trying to do what Marcusx wants. Lucid Air is one such, carrying its panels with it. But those panels won't generate enough electricity for someone doing long commutes, there just isn't the area of panel required for that. Also see Sonomotors Sion - this last is supposed to be diy-serviceable etc. But again will need plugging in for serious commuting.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes, EVs are heavier than equvalent ICE cars. It's about pollution, not weight.
If you could buy a huge, heavy electric SUV and charge it only from solar and wind, it would most likely pollute less than the lightest SUV you could buy of any class. That's what it's all about! Thing is that Car makers don't even supply chargers with the necessary direct solar/wind inputs I go on about, so it's almost impossible to save any electricity cost or be greener! I therefore want a "relatively" light electric 4wd SUV, if you want to be pedantic. "

The mistake gullible people make is to trust the "wisdom" and "environmental friendliness" of car makers when history has shown that they are solely interested in fleecing you. You only have to look at the inanity of their ads. They don't even bother with promoting any technical advantages any more. It's almost all about appealing to ego and vanity. Loads of ads don't even tell you the ...ing price!
Beginning to sound a bit like King Canute.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Seven years ago I bought solar panels - 4kwp on my little terrace house. I've recently bought an EV and so far have used my solar power to charge when at home. As the season goes on I shall use a time of day tariff when it is cheaper due to an overnight excess of wind power. As a low cost and reasonably environmental solution I'm happy enough with it. I also don't use my car for all journeys and have legs, a bicycle and a railway station within 0.6 miles. Not sure that the OP will ever be happy, or with other people's solutions.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Marcusx, you would like an EV that accepts solar dc directly, are these panels to be fixed to a roof, transported in the boot or what? When they are not charging the car, what will they be used for?
Mine are on the roof and connect via the house grid, so can power the house or car as appropriate.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Marcusx, you would like an EV that accepts solar dc directly, are these panels to be fixed to a roof, transported in the boot or what? When they are not charging the car, what will they be used for?
Mine are on the roof and connect via the house grid, so can power the house or car as appropriate.
On the house roof or in the garden.
As I said, the ideal setup would be if there were a Solar OUTPUT as well as an input, so that you can select the priority of what gets solar power, house or car, and when.
Electronically, what gets solar power could be decided by a separate unit or timer, but the important thing is that there is a solar input on the car charger for solar (and wind) to be usable directly but supplemented by mains simultaneously as needed depending on sunshine.
You could describe it the other way around: a solar supplemented mains charger.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Beginning to sound a bit like King Canute.
Thanks for your useful input.
BTW.Tata Motors seem to have something, still ugly and apparently 2wd but at least it has 8" ground clearance:
Not available in Europe, sadly. Can anyone work out the cost?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
On the house roof or in the garden.
As I said, the ideal setup would be if there were a Solar OUTPUT as well as an input, so that you can select the priority of what gets solar power, house or car, and when.
Electronically, what gets solar power could be decided by a separate unit or timer, but the important thing is that there is a solar input on the car charger for solar (and wind) to be usable directly but supplemented by mains simultaneously as needed depending on sunshine.
You could describe it the other way around: a solar supplemented mains charger.
Exactly what a Zappi does, my solar feeds into the house system, the Zappi is set to charge when there is excess solar, or to charge if I need it to regardless of solar. Other household appliances run as needed. If nothing is using it, then to the grid as green energy. There is no choice of it going to the house or car, it is your choice of how to balance your home and car charging against the available solar PV. If you want both, then more grid power.
You need to clarify what a solar output vs input are.

281 - 300 of 313 Posts