Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Wots a "Zappi" and how much is it?

A 7kW EV charger that has a clamp on the solar power lead and on the incoming power lead. It recognises the power produced from solar and if the house is using power or exporting power. It will charge in multiple ways,
1) fast 7kW
2) only on excess solar ( which otherwise would be exported)
3) using a % of imported power, so if less than 50% solar, stop.
4) at a low rate 1.6kW, but will increase with excess solar.
5) timed, at 02.00, for cheap night time power.

I plug my car in, no sunshine, no charge, sun out - charges, ASHP comes on at 14.00 - stops charging, 15.30 ASHP finished, sun out - charging recommences, sun goes down, - charging finishes. Charging varies according to the Solar PV output, starting at 1.6kW for me and up to my max of 3.6kW according to sun and balance of house power consumption.

·
The essence of good design is simplicity
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #303

A 7kW EV charger that has a clamp on the solar power lead and on the incoming power lead. It recognises the power produced from solar and if the house is using power or exporting power. It will charge in multiple ways,
1) fast 7kW

I plug my car in, no sunshine, no charge, sun out - charges, ASHP comes on at 14.00 - stops charging, 15.30 ASHP finished, sun out - charging recommences, sun goes down, - charging finishes. Charging varies according to the Solar PV output, starting at 1.6kW for me and up to my max of 3.6kW according to sun and balance of house power consumption.

1) fast 7kW

Sounds like an excellent charger, better than what I described. The kind of charger car manufacturers should bundle as standard with their overpriced EVs that cost tens of thousands. I see the Zappi is from sevenhundred quid upwards.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
zappi is a smart EV charger with a difference. Not only does it operate as standard for electric car charging, it has optional charging modes to utilise 100% GREEN energy generated from your Solar PV or wind generation. Increasing the Return On Investment (ROI) for your panels and electric car, the zappi is easy to install and user friendly.

An electric car needs multiple components to enable the battery to recharge, the car certainly has special components to enable the Lithium battery to get DC current from AC supply, but in the words of Myenergi.com, the zappi is a "smart EV charger".

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Well, it looks like i may at last have a feasible choice to an MG ZS EV.
A DACIA SPRING, also tipped to be the cheapest electric car in Europe.
Watch me being vindicated here when it becomes a big success.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
44 bhp FWD with 300 litres boot the size of a VW up! was what you were asking all along? I didn't find the clearance on it, but considering the size of the car and the pictures, it doesn't look all that high. Are you sure you want to get that one in a wet field?

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
44 bhp FWD with 300 litres boot the size of a VW up! was what you were asking all along? I didn't find the clearance on it, but considering the size of the car and the pictures, it doesn't look all that high. Are you sure you want to get that one in a wet field?
No, I don't, but seeing there is no small 4wd EV in the pipeline at all, not even an electric Fiat Panda 4wd, what choice do I have?
It's supposed to have 15cm clearance and a 4.8m turn radius.
I may be able to raise this a few centimetres and if I put slightly bigger knobbly tyres on the front and drive around the field backwards, it might not get stuck.
BTW, what's the point of the roof rails?

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
LOL, very good!
I suppose the large boot capacity would be useful for filling up with firewood, sand or rocks for drystone walls.
It's a pity snowflake car designers are too stupid to have designed the roof rails so that you can turn them through 90 degrees for use as roof bars for carrying ladders, planks and other large items.
The Dacia Spring is advertised as an SUV (but I don't actually do sports or require a utility vehicle for that),
so why not do a version that is raised another 5cms to make it 20, or supply optional raiser blocks and the ability to use bigger diameter wheels as standard?

BTW, Anybody know which utter Cretin came up with the term "Sports Utility Vehicle"?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
... BTW, Anybody know which utter Cretin came up with the term "Sports Utility Vehicle"?
Possibly the brother of the one in IBM who had to come up with a new name for the Human Resources dept latest "All-HR-stuff-in-one-friendly-place" internal app some years back. He chose the name You* .

Presumably he couldn't spell "YouStar" which might have been ok. Frankly, working in an IT company, this person should have been sacked on the spot. It's well known (or should be in IT circles!) that * matches any set of characters&digits etc, including no-characters-at-all (less well known though).

So internal searches for "YouCretin" matched this perfectly, much to general merriment! Along with other, less printable searches... YouPillock, YouWazzock, ... :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Old video and not sure if it’s been mentioned here but how about a lightly modded Leaf along these lines?

Cheap, cheerful, robust, reliable etc

301 - 313 of 313 Posts