Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Read Only
Discussion Starter #22
That didn't go too well! 馃槀馃ぃ
Hi, sorry for the confusion. I came here for some interviews and not to discuss if my dissertation subject is correct or not. I don't wish to proceed anymore, so if a member of the board wants to delete this thread or my account I have no issue with it.
(y)

Registered
2017 Golf GTE
That's a shame.

I'm sure at least three people on here would have agreed to be interviewed if the thread had lasted 24 hours!

Registered
As all forum members know there is a huge discrepancy between an EV owners 'perception' of this new technology and others who are massively influenced by the myths pushed out daily by poorly informed journalists.

That is reflected in post #5 - Quote "In reality, 80% of people (who do not own EVs) that I have interviewed don't believe EVs are the answer to a cleaner planet."

What influenced them when reaching that conclusion? In any case, anyone who carefully considers that question would agree that EVs are not THE answer to a cleaner planet. But for sure they are ONE solution. If they were asked if EVs were ONE solution would that same 80% be seen or 100%? Or are there still 20% rabid petrolheads out there who would die if they lost their petrol engines? Despite the entire EV drive solution being far superior in economy, speed, and efficiency.

Which is why the massive legacy motor manufacturers are scrambling to catch up. They have at last woken up and smelled the coffee.

The 'perception' of non-EV owners has been tainted by false myths and induced fears of being stranded by a lack of electrons. And by being asked misleading questions. One factor which has been demonstrated multiple times is that when such drivers are exposed to the normal use of an EV for an extended period they are reluctant to hand back that car and return to their noisy, smelly, vibrating and quite frankly inferior fossil fuel car. Quite apart from the huge running cost savings.

A dissertation examining the gulf that exists between those whos perception of EVs is causing them to avoid ownership against those who made the transition and will never return could be interesting. But it should really be undertaken by someone with personal experience of both sides of the study. Anything else risks asking questions re-inforcing the myths rather than dispelling them and attempting to allay the fears of those whose only knowledge of EVs has been gleaned from negative reviews.

Registered
2017 Golf GTE
As all forum members know there is a huge discrepancy between an EV owners 'perception' of this new technology and others who are massively influenced by the myths pushed out daily by poorly informed journalists.

That is reflected in post #5 - Quote "In reality, 80% of people (who do not own EVs) that I have interviewed don't believe EVs are the answer to a cleaner planet."

What influenced them when reaching that conclusion? In any case, anyone who carefully considers that question would agree that EVs are not THE answer to a cleaner planet. But for sure they are ONE solution. If they were asked if EVs were ONE solution would that same 80% be seen or 100%? Or are there still 20% rabid petrolheads out there who would die if they lost their petrol engines? Despite the entire EV drive solution being far superior in economy, speed, and efficiency.

Which is why the massive legacy motor manufacturers are scrambling to catch up. They have at last woken up and smelled the coffee.

The 'perception' of non-EV owners has been tainted by false myths and induced fears of being stranded by a lack of electrons. And by being asked misleading questions. One factor which has been demonstrated multiple times is that when such drivers are exposed to the normal use of an EV for an extended period they are reluctant to hand back that car and return to their noisy, smelly, vibrating and quite frankly inferior fossil fuel car. Quite apart from the huge running cost savings.

A dissertation examining the gulf that exists between those whos perception of EVs is causing them to avoid ownership against those who made the transition and will never return could be interesting. But it should really be undertaken by someone with personal experience of both sides of the study. Anything else risks asking questions re-inforcing the myths rather than dispelling them and attempting to allay the fears of those whose only knowledge of EVs has been gleaned from negative reviews.
Surely we have just lost an opportunity to influence and maybe persuade a young person to our point of view by attacking what he is trying to do.

He must think that we are a bunch ill-mannered bigots.

I hope that's not actually accurate.

Registered
He must think that we are a bunch ill-mannered bigots.

I hope that's not actually accurate.
I'm afraid freddym acts like a troll at times.
There's someone on another forum I frequent who is like that and often gives new arrivals a hard time. It's a bit annoying.

Registered
Surely we have just lost an opportunity to influence and maybe persuade a young person to our point of view by attacking what he is trying to do. He must think that we are a bunch ill-mannered bigots. I hope that's not actually accurate.
We know that's not accurate.

But if the OP reaches that conclusion from a spat with one member then so be it.

The problem with a 'three skype call' approach is that it may not reflect a true consensus of opinions due to such a small sample. And could be tainted by asking inaccurately framed questions. Much like asking climate scientists if man influences climate. That should elicit a 100% positive reply. But if the question posed was whether man is the prime influence we will start to tease out the nuances. Asking respondents if EVs are the answer to a cleaner planet is much the same thing. That should have received a 100% negative response. But asking if they are one answer then again a 100% positive answer could be expected. Huge turnaround by asking the correct question.

I'm sure that there will be a few who would be happy to have a skype discussion but I'm not sure how effective it would be when used as half of a dissertation evidence base.

Registered
The problem with a 'three skype call' approach is that it may not reflect a true consensus of opinions due to such a small sample.
Allowing self-selection is a no-no anyway. You'll always end up with people who have a strong urge to give an opinion whereas most can't be bothered. So the results will never be representative.

I'm not sure how effective it would be when used as half of a dissertation evidence base.
But it doesn't matter. These academic studies are purely to show-off (hopefully) the student's ability to gather, collate and analyse data.

It could just as well be "the buying preferences for cat litter in homes that also have a dog". EVs are just a current high profile 'thing' so every third student thinks it's a good subject. I actually think the ones who come here with these EV 'surveys' are somewhat lacking in imagination - but hey, if people want to help them out that's OK.

Registered
Your proposition is vague and meaningless. Sorry to be harsh but it needs some work.

Are you actually going to investigate the sustainability of EVs or just the public's perception of EV sustainability?
I鈥檓 surprised no one has said it, but you really are a nasty piece of work and that鈥檚 putting it mildly.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts