Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today at SFO parking structure I saw numerous EVs parked in EV spots that were not plugged in. This is really annoying and inconsiderate for those of us that need to charge. Please share this post as widely as possible. I'd like to see legislation that makes it a citation worthy offense!!!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I tried to educate someone recently. They just parked their BMW i3 at a rapid charger and walked off. They didn’t plug in or anything and there were plenty of normal parking spaces available.

My "The etiquette is that these are charging bays and not for parking" didn’t change their attitude.
The response I got was "We’ve had this car for 2 years" and "There’s another bay free if anyone wants to charge"

I gave up as they’re obviously in a world of their own where no one else is important.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Perhaps what is needed is a sign at chargers to make this seemingly obvious common sense issue clear to a small number of users... Although I bet they'd just plug in even if they didn't need to theno_O The issue of people not considering others in my experience is on the rise as a whole :(
I always leave a note in my EV with my number on if I'm charging so I can be contacted if needed:)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Some people just see it as a handy close parking space.

In the same way, now i have a child, i often see people park in the parent and child bays in a vehicle thats fitted with a child seat, but doesnt actually have a child in it... Obviously once they've parked and walked off, no-one would think anything of it as the childseat is proudly on view.

What makes it even more retarded, is surely those same people have driven round a carpark WITH their child in the car, and found the spaces full and had to park elsewhere then struggle to get kids in and out etc... So they must recognise how useful that extra space is, yet they are so self centred and arrogant that they dont give a shit.

·
9,719 Posts
Today at SFO parking structure I saw numerous EVs parked in EV spots that were not plugged in. This is really annoying and inconsiderate for those of us that need to charge. Please share this post as widely as possible. I'd like to see legislation that makes it a citation worthy offense!!!
I am not sure this needs sharing pretty sure you get a ticket for it at SFO. They certainly put notes on vehicles as it’s been posted various places a couple of times.

Issue being people park for a long time there is nothing to stop car next door swapping the cable to your vehicle. Making it look like you parked button never charged when infact you did.

**context note: In the USA public level 2 Charging is tethered Type-1 connectors which the car automatically unlocks at 100%/set SOC.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,336 Posts
..... I bet they'd just plug in even if they didn't need to theno_O ......
oooofffff...

I have got into a lo..o..ot of trouble saying that around here.....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Perhaps it's simply the human condition?
Spot on, what a totally pointless thread! Strewth.
I might as well say something like today hundreds of drivers were queuing for a roundabout and got in my way as well.............

There are circa 5 billion too many people on the planets so its only going to get worse.
We will never ever all get on well with each other and the selfish ****wits must not be seen to be getting the upper hand, so whinging about something we will increasingly have sod all control over is simply demoralising.

Just chill out, breathe and move on.

HTH

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Some people just see it as a handy close parking space.

In the same way, now i have a child, i often see people park in the parent and child bays in a vehicle thats fitted with a child seat, but doesnt actually have a child in it... Obviously once they've parked and walked off, no-one would think anything of it as the childseat is proudly on view.

What makes it even more retarded, is surely those same people have driven round a carpark WITH their child in the car, and found the spaces full and had to park elsewhere then struggle to get kids in and out etc... So they must recognise how useful that extra space is, yet they are so self centred and arrogant that they dont give a shit.
Maybe they are collecting their wife and kids who are inside shopping? That's what I always say when challenged (and yes have a 3 yo so have a car seat) ;)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Maybe they are collecting their wife and kids who are inside shopping? That's what I always say when challenged (and yes have a 3 yo so have a car seat) ;)
Sure, sometimes theres an exception, and theres no point challenging anyone, because if they're genuinely parking there they will be pissed, and if they're not, they'll just lie anyway. Last time at Morrisons (which usefully have a huge section of P&C) we're getting the wee one in the car, and the folk next to us returned with their shopping. Mother and Daughter, sure enough, but the mother was in her 60s and daughter was in her 30's at a guess. No child in tow, but the car did have a baby seat in the back.

I also get annoyed when parents with older kids park there. The intention is to provide room for young children where your fighting with buggys/prams/child seats etc etc. The local shopping mall only has about 5 P&C spaces, and invariably they are always full. Last time i visited there i did manage to get a space, but as i got out i noticed a car on the other side who'd also just parked, and the two adults and two kids jumped out. Kids were probably 8-10 years old, and they had no need for that space at all, and could have easily parked in any number of spaces that are just as close to the door.

I just find it funny that people will do it, despite knowing what a nuisance it is when you cant find a space, just because they're lazy inconsiderate bastards.

In some ways its even worse with EV spaces. If a space is ICEd, you can sort of make excuses, people have their head up their arse and dont notice the signage, or are "just nipping in and no-one ever charges anyway" etc etc. But for an EV driver to "ICE" a space by parking and not charging is just full wanker mode, as they fully understand how annoying and problematic it can be to get somewhere and be unable to charge because some dick has parked there that shouldnt have.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yup... signs are necessary but ultimately ineffective. Most people don't read signs or if they do don't think they apply to them.

If we want EV charge bays to be kept clear for charging only then it firstly does need signs that say words to the effect of "EV charging only. Vehicles not charging will be prosecuted" and then, and this is the most important thing, it needs to be enforced! Without that second part we are always going to be wasting our time getting upset and hot under the collar about it... because people will always ignore signs.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We need to stop pussy footing around with all the PC garbage
something like.

"Oi you selfish barsteward sod off and park somewhere else pronto otherwise that 20 stone illiterate bloater over there will take great delight in doing as much damage as possible to your vehicle whist towing it off the premises YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

Problem with that is it assumes said 'selfish barsteward' can read :(

maybe a simple picture will get the point across better.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Aghhhh see you lot have now got me all lathered up............

Previously I said
"Just chill out, breathe and move on."

Where's my sledge Hammer.
Thinks, now need a suitable excuse if I am stopped en-route

That's not a weapon Occifer I am a prison hard labour and chain gang instructor....... that might do it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts