Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe it's just me,but I feel a lot more relaxed on the road in My Zoe (feel free to substitute your own EV here!)
And I swear I'm sleeping better in the 3 weeks since I took the plunge and traded in my ICE with Alarm bell loud decibel levels in the cabin...(there's a free db meter app that showed me that..I wanted a quieter car next,and Zoe is that...)
Anyone Else? Do you think an EV could possibly be a cure for road rage?

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
Agree completely:)

My problem is, I have to drive an ICE van everyday which is a bit like having found the cure for a decease and only being able to take it at night and weekends. Will someone please build a EREV van so I can complete my recovery from the dangers of ICEitus.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree completely:)

My problem is, I have to drive an ICE van everyday which is a bit like having a finding the cure for a decease and only being able to take it at night and weekends. Will someone please build a EREV van so I can complete my recovery from the dangers of ICEitus.
And possibly Tinnitus! ;-)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I agree with this. Not that I ever had a lead foot, but after 3 years of EV driving I am definitely more relaxed now. I would also recommend a (used) Leaf for modern parents buying their kids their first wheels ... for exactly this reason. Fast enough if required, but teaches good habits.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree with this. Not that I ever had a lead foot, but after 3 years of EV driving I am definitely more relaxed now. I would also recommend a (used) Leaf for modern parents buying their kids their first wheels ... for exactly this reason. Fast enough if required, but teaches good habits.
As a first car? No way!
Leaf is too quick off the line for a new driver (IMHO) - the potential for slamming into the back of the car in front because you've assumed he's gone, especially at roundabouts is too high!

Reactions: Mark Sanders

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
As a first car? No way!
Leaf is too quick off the line for a new driver (IMHO) - the potential for slamming into the back of the car in front because you've assumed he's gone, especially at roundabouts is too high!
On the other hand, there's no gears, nothing at all, so simple to drive.

EVs are going to kill "stick shift snobs" eventually aren't they?! If DSG and the like don't do it first.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I also find it very cathartic, wafting along in my leaf however if I am doing 55-60 on a dual carriage way and a truck comes up behind me flashing his lights because "im not going fast enough" it does make my blood boil. Especially when he finally gets past me at 65-70mph and he has a sticker on his trailer saying "limited to 56mph"

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It was the one difference I was not pre-enlightened about before I got mine, but I agree 100% that it is more relaxing and I finish a long journey much fresher than before and just a few mins later by cruising at 55 ish to save fuel. The Ampera's range extender engine is hardly noticeable at that speed and you can avoid much of lane changing and boot-bumping stress of the overtaking lane on the Motorway. It's all about having a new game to play: "how little energy can I use? " instead of "how soon can I get there?" different mindset from road rage entirely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting to read the comments about a Leaf as a new-driver's car... I'm hoping to re-take my driving test next year - my first attempt was 6 years ago in a (manual) mini and I failed when I made a mess of trying to overtake a truck in Bletchley, just after the evil double roundabout which I navigated without issue, bah ;)

If I do ever pass, the only car I'll be driving will be the Leaf. Here's hoping that being that bit older and definitely not lead-booted will help...

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It's all about having a new game to play: "how little energy can I use? " instead of "how soon can I get there?" different mindset from road rage entirely.
That said, on my self-inflicted "eco April" challenge if someone jumped into my drift-zone when approaching a stop or zoomed around a roundabout meaning I had to apply the brakes... Gah!

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
Interesting to read the comments about a Leaf as a new-driver's car... I'm hoping to re-take my driving test next year - my first attempt was 6 years ago in a (manual) mini and I failed when I made a mess of trying to overtake a truck in Bletchley, just after the evil double roundabout which I navigated without issue, bah ;)

If I do ever pass, the only car I'll be driving will be the Leaf. Here's hoping that being that bit older and definitely not lead-booted will help...
We went to a Robert Llewellyn Ev talk 12 months ago in Bedford and there was a driving instructor there that teaches in a Leaf. http://nissaninsider.co.uk/pauls-the-uks-first-ev-driving-instructor/. Dont know if he covers MK but might be worth asking

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Definately more relaxed. A lovely place to be.

I also find driving at round 61 mp h on busy roads is so much more relaxing that all the hassle/lack of gaps/constant lane changing. It just needs careful anticipation of what's head (55 mph trucks) and behind. And I sometimes drive fast for a change too, distance allowing. But local journeys are the norm and the consistency, lack of lag, ability to overtake smoothly, lack of noise/vibration all go to make it such a more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Agree totally with the sentiment until someone stops unnecessarily at the roundabout you intended to carry your hypermiling energy around.
I much prefer driving long distances cross country at night with the great LED headlights, added external quietness and the ability to guess what other vehicles are likely to effect your smooth onward progress by remote early warning of their light beams in the distance.
The serenity is not diminished by the additional time you have to focus on getting the best out of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts