Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lad is now 17 and waiting for his prov licence to come through. I have been telling him for the last couple of years just how easy ev are to drive but now he wants to do his instruction and test in yesterdays technology, a manual ice.
Anyway, one of the things in applying for his licence that we hadn’t realised (not even contemplated) was he could have had a licence just before his 16th to drive a motorbike.
So seeing as ev are so easy to drive and the ease with which monitoring could be with them (someone will shoot that down) why not allow 16 year-olds to drive (solo) in ev before taking their test at 17 or thereafter?

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Twizzy yes, any thing bigger NOOOOO. My Youngest has her test booked in a few week, when she first started driving her observasion at junctions and rounderbouts was terrible. It took weeks to get her to look for motorbike's in blind spots, I nearly had a nervous brake down

·
Registered
439 Posts
Or even a Twizy 45. Classed as a Moped on the continent. I don't know of any over here though, appears to be a few selling in France.
They can not be upgraded to a standard Twizy, but some tweaking is possible as with a normal Twizy.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
At the lowest pragmatic level, If an inexperienced Moped rider makes a mistake it is normally only the rider who is killed or injured. If an inexperienced car driver makes a mistake, the results can affect many more people. On one day in the early 1980's I went to three very serious 'accidents' in which young man had put themselves into very dangerous positions through both lack of experience and youthful bravado. One lost a leg , the other two spent months in Hospital for internal injuries.
Much of the fall in fatal and serious injury road incidents has come from restrictions placed on younger drivers , learner motorcyclists and especially moped riders. There is serious consideration by some in authority that the age to drive a car should rise , and that there should be restrictions on passengers carried, etc. I think 16 year olds driving an EV car is a none starter.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
At the lowest pragmatic level, If an inexperienced Moped rider makes a mistake it is normally only the rider who is killed or injured. If an inexperienced car driver makes a mistake, the results can affect many more people. On one day in the early 1980's I went to three very serious 'accidents' in which young man had put themselves into very dangerous positions through both lack of experience and youthful bravado. One lost a leg , the other two spent months in Hospital for internal injuries.
Much of the fall in fatal and serious injury road incidents has come from restrictions placed on younger drivers , learner motorcyclists and especially moped riders. There is serious consideration by some in authority that the age to drive a car should rise , and that there should be restrictions on passengers carried, etc. I think 16 year olds driving an EV car is a none starter.
Would a restricted Twizzy not be better than a moped?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't agree, after all it's a car no matter how easy they are to drive, though tbh I think the whole new driver thing should be more closely monitored regardless of age and a cc limit imposed that's increased with yearly experience....

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I don't agree, after all it's a car no matter how easy they are to drive, though tbh I think the whole new driver thing should be more closely monitored regardless of age and a cc limit imposed that's increased with yearly experience....
I ask you the same question as I asked @BarryP.

Is it safer to let a 16 year old out on a moped or a restricted Twizzy?

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Personally, and having done the moped, then the bike thing, I can say with certainty that it made me a better driver...

In my opinion a year on a moped ought to be done, it teaches you how vulnerable your are and instills respect for the other traffic on the road. After graduating to four wheels inexperienced drivers should only being able to have a small car, with speed governed to sensible levels, and obligatory telematics insurance policy/monitoring.

By the time a driver has three years experience, providing they have kept a clean licence, then allow them freedom of choice to look at larger and more powerful cars.
There is no way I would encourage anyone I love to get on any motorised two wheeled death trap. My wife used to be a nurse and they genuinely belive that transplants would become a real problem without motor cyclists.

I do agree that most bike accidents are cause by car drivers not seeing motor cyclist and therefor bikers probably make safer drivers. I am teaching my youngest at the moment and it took weeks to get her to undestand the concept of looking for the "invisible" biker

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,863 Posts
It's not EVs that are easy to drive, but simply autos in general.

An auto licence is practically too limiting here in UK in the wider scheme of things. Getting much easier now to find autos to rent, loan, or as pool cars at work, but you need the 'manual' part really to be properly flexible.

I think everyone should be instructed in an auto car to start with. It allows the driver to concentrate on road/traffic/danger awareness without any big effort on the physical controls. 16 year olds have simply no road awareness at all to start with, it is a wonder any survive their 'moped' stage at all! But they can be taught, and can be taught safely, and in my opinion being taught earlier makes them better drivers.

Driving should be a lesson in school. In the US it is, and they get provisional licences at 16. Making driving a school lesson demystifies driving and makes it very mundane. This is a good thing. Turning cars from social-status-symbol to the status of a domestic appliance is all good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've always said if drivers had to have a year on a moped to get thier car licence the roads would be full of much better drivers.

Most bike accidents are caused by idiots in cars not looking where they are going and inappropriate speed (the bike)

I'm a biker and I'm a better car driver for it.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
The worst bike accident I ever had (and one of the most painful experiences I've ever experienced) was caused not by another road user, nor poor weather or visibility, and not by mechanical failure or rider error either...

It was a bee that caused it... damn thing flew straight into my face, and was forced up one nostril by the impact, and of course it began stinging me, even as it died... and I literally let the bike slide from under me as I clawed at the intense pain inside my sinuses as it stang me inside my head... :oops:
I have about 11 bee hives and know exactly where you are coming from, there was a scientific paper in a resent bee mag talking about a medical student who did a study into bee stings. He got himself stung over several months on every part of his body, and I do mean every part. His study showed that the inside of the moth and nose are by a long way the worst place to be stung.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I can vouch it... and it was far worse than a hornet that got me on one nipple... :mad:
Hornet sting on the nipple, what on earth were you doing?
On second thoughts perhaps I should not ask:p

·
Registered
535 Posts
IIRC my original moped licence also had entitlement to drive electric vehicles at 16yo. I wonder when they removed that entitlement?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I ask you the same question as I asked @BarryP.

Is it safer to let a 16 year old out on a moped or a restricted Twizzy?
The likely hood of an incident would probably be about the same, the danger would come from the greater mass of the Twizzy as it struck innocent passersby, etc.

That said, The difference between when I learnt to ride a moped, 1964, and now is a 5 fold + increase in traffic. It used to be said that you were not a real motorcyclist until you had crashed at least once, it was normal for young motorcyclists to be injured, (two of my school mates died) , and motorcycles were the 'peoples transport'.
Things have moved on somewhat, it no longer acceptable to allow people to endanger themselves, let alone others. Car design has come a long way, and has in itself led to a considerable reduction in deaths and injury. There is more likely hood of moves to phase out mopeds and small motorcycles than any chance of allowing younger car drivers.
There are multi-wheeled varieties of mopeds on the market, but they are quite simply 'not cool'. Changing Licensing Regs to allow anything else would require a sea change in Euro wide Safety policies.

My personal thought is that every car driver should be compelled to cycle for at least one year before applying for a learner Moped licence, and then after a further year allow them to progress to cars, and road awareness should be part of a GCSE course required before grant of that licence.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
The likely hood of an incident would probably be about the same, the danger would come from the greater mass of the Twizzy as it struck innocent passersby, etc.

That said, The difference between when I learnt to ride a moped, 1964, and now is a 5 fold + increase in traffic. It used to be said that you were not a real motorcyclist until you had crashed at least once, it was normal for young motorcyclists to be injured, (two of my school mates died) , and motorcycles were the 'peoples transport'.
Things have moved on somewhat, it no longer acceptable to allow people to endanger themselves, let alone others. Car design has come a long way, and has in itself led to a considerable reduction in deaths and injury. There is more likely hood of moves to phase out mopeds and small motorcycles than any chance of allowing younger car drivers.
There are multi-wheeled varieties of mopeds on the market, but they are quite simply 'not cool'. Changing Licensing Regs to allow anything else would require a sea change in Euro wide Safety policies.

My personal thought is that every car driver should be compelled to cycle for at least one year before applying for a learner Moped licence, and then after a further year allow them to progress to cars, and road awareness should be part of a GCSE course required before grant of that licence.
There is no way I would have allowed my kids anywhere near a motorbike of any description, it's was even part of the interview process for prospective boy friends

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
There is no way I would have allowed my kids anywhere near a moterbike of any description, it's was even part of the interview process for prospective boy friends
That was the attitude of the father of my first serious girlfriend. I suspect that my Dads van was more dangerous to her than a motorcycle!

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I just think that there should be more control over learners in general, not particularly what means of transport they choose, just my opinion not right or wrong :)
With both of my girls they were kept on a short leash which was extended as they grew older, I now have a 17 year old and a 23 year old that everyone tells me I should be very proud of (and I am) Once kids know right from wrong they generaly grew into teenagers that also know right from wrong

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
That was the attitude of the father of my first serious girlfriend. I suspect that my Dads van was more dangerous to her than a motorcycle!
You can't fall off a van at 30 mph, well :eek: erhm :confused: I dont want to go there

1 - 20 of 31 Posts