Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve recently had a rolec pod installed. It states smart charging...I was under the impression we would be able to control when it charges and when it doesn’t though the app...there is an option that says only charge off peak hours...and only charge on or below a certain p/kWh which we’ve enabled.
Off peak hours for us is midnight to 5am...but it’s charging now? And there no option to turn the charge off until midnight. Can anyone help on how to get it where it just charges off peak hours?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hi - What car do you own ?.
Certain EV’s ( MG ZS EV ) have problems carrying out a delayed charge from certain wall boxes.
It does not have any inbuilt features in the cars infotainment screen to set a delayed charge also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi it is a mg zs and this is what I’m finding out 😫 but it’s annoying that rolec didn’t explain this to us before they installed it. We would have not gone with a smart plug if we knew this. They installed a trickler charge so the car doesn’t go to sleep..I’be emailed ev.energy and hoping they turn the trickler off as it’s not saving us any money having it trickling on peak hours. Before we had a 3 pin plug and was timed by Alexa and that was managing fine. Can you buy anything for timers etc for wall chargers?

·
Registered
25 Posts
We’ve recently had a rolec pod installed. It states smart charging...I was under the impression we would be able to control when it charges and when it doesn’t though the app...there is an option that says only charge off peak hours...and only charge on or below a certain p/kWh which we’ve enabled.
Off peak hours for us is midnight to 5am...but it’s charging now? And there no option to turn the charge off until midnight. Can anyone help on how to get it where it just charges off peak hours?
I've used the Rolec/ev.energy charger successfully for the past year with no problems. But it recently started to charge at peak rates although like you I had set it to charge off-peak and only below peak rates. I think they changed something. So I set an arbitrary upper cost limit rather than the one they suggested and all seems ok now.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used the Rolec/ev.energy charger successfully for the past year with no problems. But it recently started to charge at peak rates although like you I had set it to charge off-peak and only below peak rates. I think they changed something. So I set an arbitrary upper cost limit rather than the one they suggested and all seems ok now.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
we’ve set that up as well and it’s still charging on peak hours. We’ve asked them to turn the trickler charge off which they have done...we’ve opened the car door and locked it and it’s started charging and costing money even though the car is fully charged?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hi it is a mg zs and this is what I’m finding out 😫 but it’s annoying that rolec didn’t explain this to us before they installed it. We would have not gone with a smart plug if we knew this. They installed a trickler charge so the car doesn’t go to sleep..I’be emailed ev.energy and hoping they turn the trickler off as it’s not saving us any money having it trickling on peak hours. Before we had a 3 pin plug and was timed by Alexa and that was managing fine. Can you buy anything for timers etc for wall chargers?
Somehow I guessed that would be the answer !.
I know controlling the delayed timed charging with the Smart Rolec / Pod Point wall boxes have been an issue from day one.
I have the older dumb 7kw Rolec wall box.
Also on a cheaper off peak tariff, so delayed charging is vital.
Last year I installed a Sonoff Wi Fi switch / relay inside the wall box.
A free “App” can then be installed in your phone, that enables delayed charging.
This has been fantastic feature for the last 12 months and only costs about £12 and about 30 mins to install.
I believe a few Rolec Smart unit users have also gone down this road in the end out of pure frustration !.
Strictly speaking you should not have to go to these lengths now, as I though this problem had finally been resolved.
For me, it was a no brainier.
I did not want to be charging on a premium rate tariff.
Most Off Peak tariffs are around 5 to 8p / kw and the day rate can be anything from 13p / kw and higher.
It is nice to know, that in the worst case scenario, you have a back up plan should you need it.
You will find a lot of info on this subject after a quick search on the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts