1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
558 Posts
I read this with interest - I was especially looking for reference to LHR. I reckon these roads are N, E and S of LHR. It was almost as if LHR contribution to air quality are not in scope. I know for sure that in light wind conditions the airports contribution to air pollution in Hounslow has been a cocern. It's not simply aircraft exhaust - its the vortex of vehicular activity - pax, freight and all ground services are just one polluting mess! I'm aware of concepts to decentralise airports. There is no reason why pax and freight handling is not done 30 miles and 'mass transit' links move everything efficiently and without pollution. It hasn't gone anywhere - because of the revenue to be made from airport shops, cafes etc!
Paul, you have a point on the rules to be applied to Zero Carbon Vehicles and certainly EVDA could articulate the EV community perspective - if they were so minded. My view is that having identified that Zero Carbon vehicles could be a 'special case', from a road safety point of view we should not be too forceful.
However, looking ahead when new incentives are needed to move EVs forward - then The Govt could replace bs lanes with Zero Carbon Lanes! Owning an EV would be would suddenly be an elite 'asset'. Expedited movement to from the inner city, which would, of course, be strictly a zero carbon zone!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am not sure you could exempt a particular class of vehicle from a speed limit on any road.
Many reasons spring to mind!

(I am not convinced that enforcing a 60mph limit will do anything for air quality anyway, but it's probably good for traffic flow)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure you could exempt a particular class of vehicle from a speed limit on any road.

(I am not convinced that enforcing a 60mph limit will do anything for air quality anyway, but it's probably good for traffic flow)
It will reduce local emissions, simple physics/chemistry say that will happen, but not in the case of EVs. Not local air quality anyway.

EVs are like the e-cigarette of the motoring world, they require a new set of thinking.

·
Registered
705 Posts

It would be simple to enforce by not prosecuting ev drivers. Traffic does not stick to 70 mph and I can not see all vehicles travelling at 60 mph

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It would be simple to enforce by not prosecuting ev drivers. Traffic does not stick to 70 mph and I can not see all vehicles travelling at 60 mph
Easier to have the EV drivers stick to the same limit as other traffic, than to try to work round issues like:
In which lanes can EV drivers be exempt from the variable limit?
What should the road signs say?
Should hybrids and other low emission vehicles be included? Or should they have their own limit of 65mph or something?
Is there an impact on traffic flow - or safety - of a small number of vehicles travelling faster than average on a busy road?
and others.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts