Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fancied hiring a decent sized battery EV for a few days in August (5 days)
I currently have a 24kw leaf that a week ago I took from Lancashire to Glasgow and back but it took hours to do it and as a treat I wondered about hiring a bigger one
Has anyone got any firms they would recommend I have a look at?
I've looked at E Vision and they look good until I read the add on extras and mileage limits
Enterprise have a few model S for hire and I need to look at their offer a little closer
But does anyone know of others I should consider
Thanks

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
525 Posts
If you are anywhere near Milton Keynes (UK's EV epicentre, imo), not sure who it is with but it would be well worth your while checking them out. i'm sure someone on here will chirp up quickish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy
I'm not near Milton Keynes unfortunately I'm in rossendale on the Lancashire Yorkshire border but if it's a decent deal I'm happy to travel 👍

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,287 Posts
Check out ONTO evezy. They’ve had issues over the last six months with getting hold of cars, but things seem to be improving. Not a traditional Hire Car company, but cheaper than EVision. One month minimum rental, and £1000 insurance excess (which you can buy excess insurance to cover) and a £49 delivery fee (due to Covid-19) could be the only drawbacks. Use my referral code and you’ll get £50 off your first month ;)

Prices start at £339 for a Zoe R110 with 1000 miles included. It’s a rolling subscription, so you can keep it for as long as you like. Just give 10 days notice before the end of the month. No deposit, except for the Model 3.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,273 Posts
Enterprise have Model 3, S and X, as well as a couple of ipace. You have to call central reservations and request it to a location near you that participates in EV rentals. If you are a standard rate customer you'll be paying an eye watering amout for it though. Their car club also have 24 and 40kWh LEAFs in their fleet.

Europcar, and their car club (E-Car Club) Have a few Zoe ZE40's. Unfortunately you can't specifically book them within the main Europcar rental brand, but are simply offered one if you book from the CCAR category and they happen to have one of the few remaining cars in their fleet.

EVision are pretty good to deal with, but they are anything but cheap, and their locations are limited. Everything seems to be an extra or you will be paying unreasonable amounts if you cause any damage last time I checked.

Co-Wheels Car Club have all sorts of EVs on their fleet. It just depends where you are as to what's around. They range anywhere from 16kWh Triplets, to 40kWh LEAFs. Zoes, i3's and ZS EV's and even a few 62kWh LEAFs. As well as some Hyundai ix35 and Toyota Mirai FCEV vehicles if hydrogen is your thing.

The EV Experience centre mentioned above is also an option for trying out a car for a few days from Milton Keynes, but they do have fairly strict mileage limits I believe.

Finally, Evezy as pointed out is worth considering depending on what you're looking for, despite a 1 month minimum term.

DISCOUNT CODES:
Enterprise - ECCm05 - 5% Off your booking
Enterprise Car Club - HM031 - £20 Driving credit and free registration
Co-Wheels Car Club - NE109 - £20 Driving credit, free registration and free membership
Evezy - See E7EV's Signature above for a £50 referral code

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
201 Posts
As above, I looked at Enterprise for a Model S experience. You'll def be able to pick one up in Manchester Piccadilly and/or Airport. or outside Leeds Train Station. Play around with the dates and duration, I think at that time it was cheaper to book a month or more in advance and cheaper per day if you rented for a few days. I seem to recall not all prices were the same all the time at all locations so worth testing them all. That was pre lockdown and winter tho, things may have changed since.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As above, I looked at Enterprise for a Model S experience. You'll def be able to pick one up in Manchester Piccadilly and/or Airport. or outside Leeds Train Station. Play around with the dates and duration, I think at that time it was cheaper to book a month or more in advance and cheaper per day if you rented for a few days. I seem to recall not all prices were the same all the time at all locations so worth testing them all. That was pre lockdown and winter tho, things may have changed since.
The only thing I'd add is not to book online at all and call to book it, as I mentioned above. The online bookings (especially ones made through third party websites) are typically more likely to lead to a last minute substitution on the day.

Especially if you are outside of London, it's important to mention that you'd be booking a 'Luxury Elite Electric' class of vehicle and not a Model S. You could end up with a S, X, 3, or a Jag ipace. And to manage expectations the cars are typically older, have limited features and look quite obviously 'well used'.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
Rented 4 or 5 times with ECC and here is my experience so far: I registered in July.
Pick my cars in Nottingham , as i learned its the biggest EV hub they have as there is some deal with City council.

Signup process and search in the iphone app is pretty strait forward . (4/5)
Customer service is very bad , usually 10/15min wait times on phone (1/5)
Unlock and lock the car also pretty fast and simple (5/5)

Big question i have as i never really used the charging card (seems to be different in every car) is, what is besides Polar the plugs you can use?
They have ecotricity in their manual but those dont take club card i think.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Rented 4 or 5 times with ECC and here is my experience so far: I registered in July.
Pick my cars in Nottingham , as i learned its the biggest EV hub they have as there is some deal with City council.

Signup process and search in the iphone app is pretty strait forward . (4/5)
Customer service is very bad , usually 10/15min wait times on phone (1/5)
Unlock and lock the car also pretty fast and simple (5/5)

Big question i have as i never really used the charging card (seems to be different in every car) is, what is besides Polar the plugs you can use?
They have ecotricity in their manual but those dont take club card i think.
Enterprise Car Club EVs are provided only with a CYC Card in all but two locations in the UK. The two others are Polar cards.

Polar cards can be used at Polar charging stations and CYC And their regional variants within England.
CYC Cards can be used at CYC Charging stations and their regional variants (D2N2 For example) within the entirity of the United Kingdom. This excludes Polar.

The reference of Ecotricity is old and outdated information. It should probably only be signage visible in the 24kWh cars and not the newer 40kWh LEAFs on fleet? A few years ago they used to be free to use with various RFID Cards, but this is no longer the case and you must use the app, which will be at your own expense.

Regarding customer service, they have been feeling the strain since the start of COVID-19 And still aren't quite back to normal and coping with the demand. For minor queries use Twitter DMs and leave your membership number and someone will get in touch with you. It's always been the best option for me.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
Enterprise Car Club EVs are provided only with a CYC Card in all but two locations in the UK. The two others are Polar cards.

Polar cards can be used at Polar charging stations and CYC And their regional variants within England.
CYC Cards can be used at CYC Charging stations and their regional variants (D2N2 For example) within the entirity of the United Kingdom. This excludes Polar.

The reference of Ecotricity is old and outdated information. It should probably only be signage visible in the 24kWh cars and not the newer 40kWh LEAFs on fleet? A few years ago they used to be free to use with various RFID Cards, but this is no longer the case and you must use the app, which will be at your own expense.

Regarding customer service, they have been feeling the strain since the start of COVID-19 And still aren't quite back to normal and coping with the demand. For minor queries use Twitter DMs and leave your membership number and someone will get in touch with you. It's always been the best option for me.
Thank you for this.

Actually noticed now that this car i got has a Chargeplace scotland card, should be same as CYC?
Should i ask for a Polar card?
Im not on twitts so far but i guess i have to start..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thank you for this.

Actually noticed now that this car i got has a Chargeplace scotland card, should be same as CYC?
Should i ask for a Polar card?
Im not on twitts so far but i guess i have to start..
Yeah Chargeplace Scotland, Charge Your Car, D2N2 etc. Are all the same company and access the same nationwide network of chargers. You don't need to worry about what brand is written on the card. Chargemaster have been a little weird about what cards they send out recently.

They won't give you a Polar Card. It's just whatever comes with the car is what you get. There are only 2 cars that comes with a Polar card and that's because they're needed for the charging post at the parking place that the car lives at.

You're of course free to sign up to Polar yourself at your own expense and use their app or RFID card, just like any other charging network of your choice. It really depends how far and how regularly you'll be travelling with the ECC Cars as to if its worthwhile or not.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
Yeah Chargeplace Scotland, Charge Your Car, D2N2 etc. Are all the same company and access the same nationwide network of chargers. You don't need to worry about what brand is written on the card. Chargemaster have been a little weird about what cards they send out recently.

They won't give you a Polar Card. It's just whatever comes with the car is what you get. There are only 2 cars that comes with a Polar card and that's because they're needed for the charging post at the parking place that the car lives at.

You're of course free to sign up to Polar yourself at your own expense and use their app or RFID card, just like any other charging network of your choice. It really depends how far and how regularly you'll be travelling with the ECC Cars as to if its worthwhile or not.
Now you have done it! You mention chargemaster.. I go and search for their network and I get to bpchargemaster.. which have Polar network on their website mentioned!!
so this oneworks as pôlar card as well?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Now you have done it! You mention chargemaster.. I go and search for their network and I get to bpchargemaster.. which have Polar network on their website mentioned!!
so this oneworks as pôlar card as well?
BP Chargemaster is the parent company of all of them. They own 2 different networks, but a ton of different brands. Polar cards allow acccess to both Polar and CYC (and their other brands within England)
But CYC Cards (The same as Chargeplace Scotland and D2N2 Cards for example) allow access to only CYC (and their other brands within the entire UK) but don't work with Polar.

Then there are the few weird Polar/Chargemaster branded units but are actually cross-compatible with CYC Network... But if I start talking about them things will get even more confusing!

Basically Chargemaster have waaaay too many different brands on the go at once, they are poorly organised and anyone who is new to EVs is set to have a nightmare of a time trying to work out what cards and apps can use different chargers.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
And i consider myself a EV literate after using a leaf 24 for a Year..

This basically proves that they (ECC ) are doing a poor job in guiding new people to EVs by just pointing to the car manual have having a outdated guide themselves. Anyway i dont think thats they main purpose as it doesn't look like they are expanding this fleet.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
And i consider myself a EV literate after using a leaf 24 for a Year..

This basically proves that they (ECC ) are doing a poor job in guiding new people to EVs by just pointing to the car manual have having a outdated guide themselves. Anyway i dont think thats they main purpose as it doesn't look like they are expanding this fleet.
I have contacts within ECC So will be feeding back about the outdated user guides to see if we can get something done about that one.

There are plans to further expand the car club fleet. They are hopeful to add more EVs to the fleet but have been struggling both with the availability of suitable cars, and being able to get the local councils to give more parking spaces with a charging post that they can make use of.

They have to compete with other car club operators like Hertz 24/7, E-Car Club, Zipcar and Co-Wheels for example. A lot of the council tenders have requirements for emissions and they've lost out a few times in the past as a result of not being able to deliver in some cities previously. They are trying to work on that one but the whole COVID-19 Situation definitely delayed any progress they hoped for.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I fancied hiring a decent sized battery EV for a few days in August (5 days)
I currently have a 24kw leaf that a week ago I took from Lancashire to Glasgow and back but it took hours to do it and as a treat I wondered about hiring a bigger one
Has anyone got any firms they would recommend I have a look at?
I've looked at E Vision and they look good until I read the add on extras and mileage limits
Enterprise have a few model S for hire and I need to look at their offer a little closer
But does anyone know of others I should consider
Thanks
UFO Drive. See my signature.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
Another rental with ECC, another Adventure!. So as i already used 4 or 5 rentals (EV only)i was thinking the cleaning process was efficient and smooth between each rental they say on the website. Today. i got to the car: Battery at 1% (car disconnected) , Charging cable tossed in backseat, rubbish in center console.

then, i call support because as i plugged in to the 7kw the blue light was bilking but not going up the %.. and a man was (reading from a manual obviously) trying to tell me to connect the blue cable to the car . Had to tell him at least 3 times , that was the chademo, the slow cables are black. At least gave me £10.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
Just finished my No car Experience as i cancelled ECC. Did 1250 miles Since June.
If i was in a big city with a big cluster of cars ill probably stick with them or a similar service.

Major issues i got is wait times on phone .
They should pay you the amount of electricity you charged during the trip, as otherwise , its not really all included..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
They should pay you the amount of electricity you charged during the trip, as otherwise , its not really all included..
ECC Charge you a small fee for your mileage (5p for most cities and rate plans but it does vary from 0p-50p) and in exchange for that you get a car that will normally have a full battery when you pick it up as well as access to the CYC Charging network and their other regional brands.

If you charge with other networks during your journey then that is your choice really. Any 'All Inclusive' company is the same. ONTO/Evezy for example include public charging by giving you a Polar Plus membership with the car from them, but if you then go and charge at home, or with another network it's optional and at your own expense.

Just finished my No car Experience as i cancelled ECC.
Did you get a confirmation E-Mail to say that your account had been closed after speaking to them? A Few people recently mentioned they didn't get this and ended up still being charged their monthly membership/insurance fees. Be sure to check you have a written confirmation and keep this just in case something goes wrong there.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
93 Posts
ECC Charge you a small fee for your mileage (5p for most cities and rate plans but it does vary from 0p-50p) and in exchange for that you get a car that will normally have a full battery when you pick it up as well as access to the CYC Charging network and their other regional brands.

If you charge with other networks during your journey then that is your choice really. Any 'All Inclusive' company is the same. ONTO/Evezy for example include public charging by giving you a Polar Plus membership with the car from them, but if you then go and charge at home, or with another network it's optional and at your own expense.

Did you get a confirmation E-Mail to say that your account had been closed after speaking to them? A Few people recently mentioned they didn't get this and ended up still being charged their monthly membership/insurance fees. Be sure to check you have a written confirmation and keep this just in case something goes wrong there.
1- Car will have a full battery .. you hope! as my last hire didn't! And they give you these subscriptions to chargers that may be located in a costly car park.

2 - I did get confirmation to say it is canceled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts