Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 mile round trip that I would like to hire a long range EV for, my wife refuses to use my 24Kw leaf for long trips after first experience of driving to Windsor and back. Anyone know if there are any reasonable companies that this can be done from? If not what BHEV would you recommend so I can at least have part of the journey clean.

Thanks in advance
Martin

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
You are probably looking at a Tesla, and that won’t come cheap.

I presume you meant a PHEV, not a BHEV, eg a plug in hybrid and you most likely overall wouldn’t be doing “part of the journey clean” because the electric portion of a long journey would be more than outweighed by the worse petrol/diesel consumption on the majority of the trip, because it’s costs energy to lug the additional gubbins of a hybrid around.

So if you don’t want to shell out for a Tesla then environmentally your best bet is a likely small diesel or petrol car.
Or depending on the journey, go by train.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've used White Car several times when I've had a long trip coming up. Absolutely fantastic service for Tesla rentals.

You might struggle with your location though, these kind of services are reasonably niche. It's also not cheap compared to your default Hertz, Enterprise etc normal rental. I still think it's worth the premium for the experience and zero emission journey but it's no good if you have to drive 300miles just to collect it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If it's just the two of you, why not hire an i3 REx or even a big battery Zoe?

You'd have to stop a couple of times (in current weather) in the i3 - not so sure about Zoe - to recharge & refuel but surely no great hardship on such a long journey. Would add say 1.5-2 hr to an ostensibly 8 hr journey (at average mway speed 50mph).

Not sure on general pricing but a company called Evision apparently rent these out at £30/day inc vat.

Edit: as pointed out above, I'd say the feasibility is really most dependent to where you live or work in relation to EV hirers

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
I presume you meant a PHEV, not a BHEV, eg a plug in hybrid and you most likely overall wouldn’t be doing “part of the journey clean” because the electric portion of a long journey would be more than outweighed by the worse petrol/diesel consumption on the majority of the trip, because it’s costs energy to lug the additional gubbins of a hybrid around.

So if you don’t want to shell out for a Tesla then environmentally your best bet is a likely small diesel or petrol car.
This isn't always the case. In the Ampera, I often charge at the end of a long journey, which means I don't use any petrol (or create local polution) when visiting friends and tourist attractions at the destination.

On a long journey I also try and and charge (e.g. lunch stop) on the journey, although I accept not everyone is able (or willing) to do that. On my last 200+ mile journey to North Wales I got over 80 MPG.

Personally I also prefer driving a PHEV or BEV to any affordable, rental ICE. We had a manual Polo 1.2 for 2 weeks in Spain in 2017 and both hated it.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
This isn't always the case. In the Ampera, I often charge at the end of a long journey, which means I don't use any petrol (or create local pollution) when visiting friends and tourist attractions at the destination.

On a long journey I also try and and charge (e.g. lunch stop) on the journey, although I accept not everyone is able (or willing) to do that. On my last 200+ mile journey to North Wales I got over 80 MPG.

Personally I also prefer driving a PHEV or BEV to any affordable, rental ICE. We had a manual Polo 1.2 for 2 weeks in Spain in 2017 and both hated it.
So, where can you hire an Ampera? Most (all?) other PHEVs have electric only ranges around half or worse than that estimable car. There are many posts here from people with PHEVs who report the range is significantly poorer on long drives than their old diesel fumemobile.

I also think its unfair to extrapolate from a manual Polo to an automatic anything (except possibly Mrs AJ's auto Aygo, which is execrable.)

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
So, where can you hire an Ampera?
I am planning on making mine available on Easycar club soon ;) Besides an i3 REX with DC charging could be even better than the Ampera in reducing fuel used on a long journey, especially if staying at destination a few days (e.g. UK holiday).

I also think its unfair to extrapolate from a manual Polo to an automatic anything (except possibly Mrs AJ's auto Aygo, which is execrable.)
Meh. I dislike turbo ICE autos too. Seem to take forever for turbo to spin up and gearbox to shift. Despite some EV assist, the C350e we had last year was an example. OK on motorway but not much good elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
Edit: as pointed out above, I'd say the feasibility is really most dependent to where you live or work in relation to EV hirers
OP is in South Wales and I don't think any EV rentals nearby?

I suspect it is difficult to make money renting EVs (except maybe Tesla?) as companies spring up and then disappear. There was one doing just i3 rentals a few years ago in Thames Valley, but they didn't last long.

Reactions: gaberone rex

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I have a 400 mile round trip that I would like to hire a long range EV for, my wife refuses to use my 24Kw leaf for long trips after first experience of driving to Windsor and back. Anyone know if there are any reasonable companies that this can be done from? If not what BHEV would you recommend so I can at least have part of the journey clean.

Thanks in advance
Martin
I am in Newport - if you are coming this way you are welcome to swap your leaf for my Ampera for as long as you need (subject to us both providing proof of insurance) . I would love to test drive one - and it would help you out too. Ill even charge your car fully for your return trip as I have a home charger.

I'm also only a few miles from the M4 J24. PM me if interested?

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
We don't have any around here. I have just asked Ecar Club if I can host a Zoe here - for that reason!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.