Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, myself and my partner have just ordered 2 EV vehicles Peugeot and Kia.

Looking around for home 7kw chargers (of which we need 2 due to car useage), they are much more expensive that I though at £519 each minimum with the OLEV grant applied thus £1040 for both.

Has anyone any experience of a lower price they may have for 7kw chargers to be home installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Suggest you speak to a charging company that can sell you ONE charger with TWO outlets that can load share and charge both cars.

Do the job properly, you will need to spend some serious money for the total job. Presumably you are going to stick with EVs for ever.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Suggest you speak to a charging company that can sell you ONE charger with TWO outlets that can load share and charge both cars.

Do the job properly, you will need to spend some serious money for the total job. Presumably you are going to stick with EVs for ever.
For example, a charging company called Ecotap make a charger called Duo which has two outlets.
You really want to get an electrician around to survey the electrics in your house and start some of the planning.

·
Registered
428 Posts
As above. You need to do some checks here so it will be worth spending the money for a professional. The load balancing charging station with 2 sockets sounds like a wise idea as 2x7kW chargers is going to be 64 Amps... That's more power than some entire houses have access to! You'll need to see what you have coming in to the house, and if it can be upgraded.

You can pick up cheap chargers but they won't be smart so won't qualify for the grant. By the time you have had a good electrician do the work to do the install you really won't be saving anyways, and will probably end up spending more in the long run on repairs or replacements.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
What is your average daily mileage?

You’ll probably find you can cope with one charger just fine. Unless you are both driving 100 miles per day.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
A home brew charger, if you have any electronics and practical skills, would be much better let alone cheaper than any off the shelf purchase.

Obviously not for everyone.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
A home brew charger, if you have any electronics and practical skills, would be much better let alone cheaper than any off the shelf purchase.

Obviously not for everyone.
Also, just in case you are not aware, you really need to make a list of your existing daytime and overnight loads. At some stage, you will need to engage with your DNO, both to confirm your existing supply arrangement, cable size, cutout fuse rating and earthing, AND to get their permission for potentially 64A of EV charging.

If you are not competent to grapple with the above, you need an electrician pronto.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,714 Posts
1x 32A Podpoint/similar
1x 32A commando socket fitted by a local sparky + £199 Ohme charge point for if/when the 2nd is needed..this should bring the total price down a bit.

Know your house load and fuse size..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. If I did go for a single charger, any recommendations as ego to get to install at a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
Considering most of the cost is in running the cables and ensuring the house wiring and consumer unit is up to spec, I would speak to an installer and see what the cost of an additional unit would be that can load balance to share a 32 Amp feed.

·
Premium Member
10,643 Posts
Podpoint fit load monitoring as standard so they should be able to fit one at 32A fixed and the second will drop down from 32A as necessary. Assuming you have at least 80A supply then overnight both should run at 32A. Load balancing isn't normally needed at home - monitoring is usually preferred. You do need DNO permission for two EV chargers, but Podpoint would arrange.

I do recommend getting both done at same time, it may be expensive but will be cheaper in long run. They will need to split your supply and fit a small CU to accommodate both - they shouldn't go through your existing house CU. We got this done to accommodate our second charging point in 2017 - we had one initially. On Octopus Go or Agile there are significant savings to be made by charging both cars off peak.

Other half baked solution will soon get tedious, could be less safe or risk nuisance tripping if connected to a single house RCD.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
You have spent presumably a lot on deposits and ongoing monthly payments so not a good idea both wrt safety and convenience to scrimp on charging arrangements.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We get by with a single point for 2 cars, but usually one of them sits at home during the day. It does become a bit of a pain when you want them both charged for the following morning or when you're trying to charge them both on a cheap-rate tariff overnight.

·
Premium Member
10,643 Posts
Also bear in mind that by 2025 many house buyers will be looking more favourably on properties that have car charging. We plan to leave one point and capability for 2nd when we sell in (probably) 2022.

·
Registered
188 Posts
To my mind the capital cost is dwarfed by running costs. If you are buying an EV do the job right first time. You only qualify for that OLEV grant once!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
To my mind the capital cost is dwarfed by running costs. If you are buying an EV do the job right first time. You only qualify for that OLEV grant once!
Often faced with a situation entirely out of one's experience, the fallback position is I need a cheap solution. Often because the requester had no other measure of assessing VALUE.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
They changed the rule so you have to have a more expensive smart charger to get the grant now.

Cheapest option is get a used one off eBay and a local sparky to fit it for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts