Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone else get frequently stopped and grilled about electric cars and electric car ownership when parking and/or charging their cars?

I got it a few times when our Leaf was new, but it seems to be more and more common these days in Milton Keynes.

I don't mind, in fact I quite enjoy it, people are genuinely keen to learn more about EVs and clearly don't either want to go into a dealer to be sold to, or seem to get the information from mainstream media either. So yes, I'm happy to "do my bit".

I assume this happens to fellow EV drivers too?!

·
Registered
96 Posts
"sold to"?

looking at GM and Nissan main dealers in Northampton, neither have any Volt or Leaf on the forecourt nor marketing suggesting they maybe interested in selling one!

Planning to go in and quiz them. Chances are they won't know what an EV is let alone have one in stock. Sales bots are sales bots, and I doubt they are incentivized sufficiently.

//end prejudice

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks for the tip. will pop in at some point soonish no doubt ;)

how well do you find EV cars are promoted generally?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How well do you find EV cars are promoted generally?
Not well. Lack of knowledge, and a perceived lack of interest, seem to be the main barriers. I firmly believe that a few enthusiastic sales and PR people could change the face of EV sales, just need people to buy-in to it and they will easily sell to others. But it seems the dealership environment just isn't made for this, for some reason that I can never fathom.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how can you effectively promote the tech?
How political do you want the answer to that to be? I think it's more a case of promoting a cheaper, cleaner, more fun way of driving.

The tech is easier to understand the traditional ICE vehicles, the infrastructure easier and mechanics more basic and efficient.. It's just "new".

There's a lot of politics and vested interests at play at the moment, but personally I believe most things in this world can be consumer-lead. In saying that, it's clear more people are buying EVs at quite an incredible rate, adoption probably faster now than the manufacturers expected and "big oil" would ever wish... I think the tide can turn quickly if it's allowed to flow free.

Elon Musk and Tesla have it right in many ways, and I get the feeling Nissan/Renault's Carlos Ghosn is NOT going to want to drop any perceived lead his company has any time soon. So with any luck a real EV-centric push for cleaner, better vehicles could be on the way.

Pretty sure if Elon and a few others could go to each and every car dealership in the World and talk for a while, there'd be far more EV-enthusiastic sellers out there!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So again yesterday, pulled up a motorway rapid charger, one guy asked a load of questions (seemed to be half-interested in a future purchase) and we sat and ate with the car in view... it was like we'd put a naked person in the parking spot, the amount of stares and people gathering around it got was amazing.

I've driven several pre-production and test vehicles before, and the only car I've seen get close to this interest was the "original" new MINI back in 2001, and the LEAF has been around for a few years now!

The kids love it. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is still a fairly new thing to see. I can't remember walking past anyone about to charge an EV before we got ours. I'm not sure I would have approached anyone to ask them, but would defo have stopped and watched what they were up to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts