Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, just got my renewal notice and it's gone up 25%... not happy. They are saying their underwriter has changed and they no longer offer a EV specific policy.

Who's the best at the moment to insure a Leaf, apart from the usual suspects on confused/comparethemarket?

cheers.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,858 Posts
I use LV, they are based in Bournemouth and I have always been please with their quotes which I find are competitive although a tad more than quotes on the comparison sites, I prefer to pay a tad more in the knowledge that in the event of a claim, then it will be professionally handled and reasonably hassle free.

However they have recently been taken over by ALLIANZ and as such I am bracing myself for a possible change next April when my next quote is due.

LV do offer EV friendly products such as recovery to a charge point should you run out of charge but quotes are very much individual and I have seen in other threads on here, they are not competitive if a potential customer doesn't fit their good risk profile.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ours is on an Admiral policy, you do need to ring them each year at renewal to stop the price rising for no good reason but other than that they have been fine and competitively priced. That said, I have never needed to make a claim......

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
294 Posts
Have been looking as well. So far Churchill and John Lewis (even cheaper via Quidco) coming out best for me. Not specific EV policies (only LV seems to offer that]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Churchil came through for me so far with the best numbers vs provided services, so might go with that. Will call the current insurer first of course to haggle...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I use LV, they are based in Bournemouth and I have always been please with their quotes which I find are competitive
. . . .
However they have recently been taken over by ALLIANZ and as such I am bracing myself for a possible change next April when my next quote is due.
I was very pleased with LV last year. However, renewal notice (received early Dec for renewal on 1st Jan) showed a considerable rise (in spite of having had an email when I changed car from 40kWh to e+ that forecast a reduction at next renewal !).

No problems with shopping around to find an alternative quote; my best was from 'esure'.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
LV wanted over £600 for my Honda e last month, got it for half that with Hastings Direct.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I was very pleased with LV last year. However, renewal notice (received early Dec for renewal on 1st Jan) showed a considerable rise
I found the very same thing as @EricM with my LV insurance myself.
The renewal notice I received via e.mail about month before the renewal date.
Somehow foolishly, I had expected either a notice of a refund due to the lack of use or even a freeze on the price of my renewal cost for this year.
Oh..... No such luck, dream on fella an £85 increase thank you very much !.
I was absolutely flabbergasted and angry in equal measures.
It was also giving me notice it they would automatically renew my policy unless notified otherwise.
I guess you know how that telephone conversation went !.
Now switched to G.A. and saved the increase, with the same level of breakdown cover with the RAC.
This will necessitate moving insurance company next year again, I am fairly sure of this.
Main companies offer higher discounts for the first year only, at renewal time they tend to hike the price WELL over the rate of inflation.
Be prepared to move company each year or suffer the increase.
Loyalty discounts do not exist anymore in the eye's of insurance company's.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,349 Posts
Saga - fixed my premium for 3 years for less than previous insurer. As usual the previous insurer's renewal was even higher.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Direct Line here. Renault Fluence added in addition to diesel car last year, only cost £250.
Direct Line too, and just yesterday actually. I was with them last year when I bought this car. Guess there are various good offers out there. My renewal quote seemed okay but then was a bit higher than Go Compare. A call to Direct Line knocked £65 off. Very happy with the new price but could have done without the call to 'haggle'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts