Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does such a thing exist? I'd love it if I could plug in start at point a, finish at point b and "desired" max stretch (often different to "actual" or "quoted" range). Also with an option for "destination charging, yes/no".

Then this thing does the leg work for me, tells me a couple of route options, and then suggests all types of chargers available closest to my destination (hotels, car parks, the lot).

Does this, or anything close to it, actually exist? If not, why not?! Come on clever folks, make it happen! ;) :D

*** EDIT: List of planner/planner type apps ***

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Does this, or anything close to it, actually exist?
OVMS is aware of your range and location at any moment in time, it also knows the details of charging locations stored in OCM. What it can't do (yet) is help you plan a route or display a route in a user friendly way.

We really need upgraded OVMS hardware with more storage and interfaces to allow it to communicate with the cars CAN bus(s) and BT/WiFi devices in the car (including devices like the Parrot Head units). I've tried to get some traction for some new hardware with both the OVMS and GEVCU developers but haven't got very far :(

I suspect @Lee Howard and his team will need to provide the lead and get the new hardware developed... if anyone is interested in an open source solution to this problem then let us know :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So it still seems that the answer is no. We do have the following "sort of do some of it" options which are new or new to me:
Any others?

For what it's worth I fired off an email to the Waze team asking about charging points (slightly different thing) and live availability... no response at all yet (week or so later).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello,

I would like to plan a route from Southampton to Birmingham but cannot find a route planner that can incorporate chosen chargers every 60 miles or so, what do you all use or do you all magically know how far is between all the rapids on the motorways?

Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is another one I use

I like the one that @BlackLeaf suggested, as you can choose which charging points to use.

I like the one I suggested as the interface is nicer, some people prefer fewer options.

AFAIK, neither one will report the status of a charger, so you'll need to check this manually.

·
Registered
367 Posts
EV Route Planner as previously mentioned, also Plugshare can also do directions with charge points.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks all, I'll give those options a try, I have TomTom on my phone, would be good to have a way to import EV charge points into it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just for info, you should make Oxford Peartree from Southampton if you drive carefully (grab a 10 min charge at Chieveley to make sure) then up the A44 to Evesham CYC rapid there, then up the A46 and A435 to Birmingham would be my choice for the route. Cheers

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
I think that trying to plan an entire route with more than one charge is an act of faith. On route issues may take you along an entirely different string of chargers.

On a long trip I use Zap Map to list my intended charge points and the plan b locations with postcodes on some extremely low tech paper.
I then just add the next charge point while charging at the current one.

For serious trips I check the mileage to the next point (with appropriate safety margin) and then I only need to stay on the rapid for the minimum time at each stop.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm still using a paper format - pages of Plan A with back-up options, very tedious. It is annoying that Nissan hasn't built a decent route-planner into their own software, but as my Leaf map is now five years out of date, I'm not sure how much use it would be . It's an obvious area for TomTom to develop.

Reactions: Paul
1 - 20 of 73 Posts