Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,907 Posts
@h8ten - Even the current Zero might not quite manage the 92 miles round trip unless you ride economically, which might imply keeping the motorways and dual carriageways to around 50 to 60 mph. Which is why I think the promise of solid state batteries with 3x the energy density of Lithium Ion is the next required step change to get EV totally mainstream.
Motorway round trip is 110 miles, I go cross country in the Ampera so that I can, usually, get there on a charge in summer and use petrol for around 5 miles. So I think I can take it easy on a bike too.

·
SU-EV convert
352 Posts
I am going to try this

V120L

My commute is 23 miles round trip so definitely suitable. I rode behind one after a traffic light and my Honda pcx 125 was no match for its acceleration.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@ch477 - I'd say that those Chinese machines would be wholly unsuitable in Europe, certainly outside of an urban area. .
Why is that, purely range?

I've never been a "biker" in the sense that at one stage my MZ250 was my only transport and I saw it as purely functional. 65/70 miles to visit friends in my old uni town in all weathers, and no posh leathers either! I tend to regard most bikers in the same way as Sunday drivers..

But if I were to get back on two wheels I'd need a bit more than the current offer and again it's range not speed. For local pottering I've considered an electric cycle but can't even justify that as my legs are fine if I ignore the sciatica twinges in the left!. Perhaps the real market is higher ranges for the urban/suburban market with 60/80 mile ranges?

Interesting what SicilySimon was saying. I saw a few in N Italy a few years ago, and I read an article in La Stampa about Vespa getting one this year. I'll go and try and find the link.

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
@SueH - Yes, range is a big issue for extra-urban motorcycles. My Zero has a quoted urban range of 110 miles and a mixed suburban/urban (ie. commuter) range of around 85 miles which I can attest to.

The MZ250 was a bit of a classic in its own day. I never had one, by then I was on bigger machines, but I knew plenty who had them.

EV two-wheelers need to cater for all requirements, in the same way as their ICE counterparts do today. But the sheer variety of EV motorcycle/scooter just doesn't exist yet. One wonders if the bikes will be ages behind the cars, mostly because there's no pressure for the makers to switch. Yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just been reading a report in La Stampa about Bosch supplying their technology to small manufacturers so they can develop their own bike versions. A couple of different manufacturers have produced their own implementations with different power outputs and ranges, with varying battery sizes. The batteries are those developed for four wheeled EVs.

It's my time for bed after a post footie training bath, but if anybody is interested I'll put up more tomorrow.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts