Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should be taking delivery of my e208 September first

What apps should I be downloading In anticipation for charging locations and charging companies

Plan on charging at work for free on Saturdays but when I had a leaf on 5 day test drive a few years back I remembered having to down load numerous apps to be able to use different chargers and see if they were working or not

Thank you

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
3,432 Posts
Get Zap-Map. It's an app and a website.

Have a look along your regular routes. Find out what networks cover them. Download apps if necessary.

Almost all chargers should offer contactless payment, so you might get away without any apps. The two major networks at the moment are Instavolt and GridServe: both available contactless.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Get Zap-Map. It's an app and a website.

Have a look along your regular routes. Find out what networks cover them. Download apps if necessary.

Almost all chargers should offer contactless payment, so you might get away without any apps. The two major networks at the moment are Instavolt and GridServe: both available contactless.
I'm not sure "almost all" is correct.

Anyway, get a Shell Recharge (NewMotion) RFID card/fob or (probably better) an Octopus Electric Juice RFID card. Both have a lot of networks they allow access to. One of those plus contactless should satisfy most of your charging needs.

·
Registered
MG5
1,100 Posts
Hi,
I use Zap-map and have the Electric Juice card from Octopus. They dont add any pre- authorisation and it goes onto your energy bill.
Some do have contact less payment but even free ones at supermarkets need to be started with an app like Pod Point.

Reactions: Malcs and Meevee

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,202 Posts
Instavolt, Osprey and, on motorways, to an increasing degree as they upgrade the network, Gridserve - these all take contactless payment routinely.

Podpoint app, because you'll find many of their destination 7kw chargers in supermarkets (and more examples now of their rapids)

Electric Juice card from Octopus as others have said - most of networks on there are little ones you may never encounter but they do cover Ionity (who you would only use in an emergency because of the eye watering price) and Osprey (which gives you another option if your contactless card fails to authenticate)

As Todor says, it depends on what chargers cover your normal routes but my policy is to only use those that accept contactless payment as that is the standard we should be forcing them all to adopt. Fortunately, the ones that take contactless routinely above are also the ones that prove to be most reliable and come top of the ratings surveys. I'd only use others in an emergency. Saves a lot of grief.

You do need a good 'find a charger' app though. ZapMap is top dog, but check out A better route planner (ABRP) or Plug Share.

·
Vendor
Honda E
44 Posts
Hi @Malcs , if you are still looking for recommendations, we'd just wanted to flag our app. We're a London based startup focused on making EV charging easier, faster and more affordable for everyone. We already have 2500+ chargers in the UK and 55000+ in Europe - by the beginning of 2022 we are aiming to have more than 70% UK coverage (around 17000 chargers).

Bonnet users can use our app at any charging point - this means no more RFID cards and no need to download a new app every time you use a new charge point.

In the UK we work with companies like ESB, Char.gy and Shell, offering competitive prices in both a Pay As You Go option and a subscription based option, which you can cancel at any time. So if your Audi e-tron needs a rapid charge, you’ll pay as little as 25p/kWh - no matter what type of charger or company you use.

To top it off, if you run into any issues we have live support via the in-app chat and live information on all chargers, which is cross checked with suppliers and other sources before being published.

Here is a one month free of charging with any of our monthly refilling packages (worth up to £50/200kWh). All you need to do is download Bonnet from the App Store or Google Play, sign up with the code SPEAKEVBNT and redeem the monthly refill you'd like to try. In the unlikely chance we’re not for you, you can cancel at any time before the renewal date.

To find out more about us, check out joinbonnet.com or search for us on the usual social channels on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for updates and offers.

We’re confident you’ll love Bonnet as much as we do. Let us know in this thread your thoughts and if there are any improvements you would like to see as we grow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.