Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I’ve been following this forum (and others!) for a while as a prospective EV owner, so thought I’d just come and say hello.

I actually put down (and still have) a refundable deposit on a Tesla Model 3, but have been reluctant to pull the trigger on a purchase for a number of reasons. The “base” SR+ M3 model in the U.K. is well-equipped for sure, but is significantly more expensive than I had been anticipating for a so-called “affordable” Tesla. I certainly wasn’t expecting my first EV to be priced in luxury car tax territory!

Also, there have been the well-documented issues around Tesla quality control. As my nearest Tesla SC is over 40 miles away, I’m wary of turning up to collect my shiny new motor, only to find paint defects, panel gaps etc. haven’t been rectified in the rush to get new cars out the door as quickly as possible. I certainly wouldn’t be happy having to take a brand new vehicle back to have stuff fixed a matter of weeks after taking delivery as some customers have had to do. In their favour of course, is the supercharger network and the OTA updates.

I’ve been driving Mazdas for the last 14 years or so, and not one of them has let me down mechanically (apart from the usual unavoidable things like flat tyres, new tyres, battery etc.) Going from that to a car that not only costs more but might have to spend lots of time in the workshop having faults fixed would be hard to stomach.

All conjecture of course, as I may end up with a perfect example, but it did get me looking into the EV alternatives from other manufacturers, who might at least have honed their quality control systems after years of experience building ICE cars. Currently looking at the Ioniq (which seems a very capable car) and possibly the new Peugeot e2008. The biggest problem I’ve encountered so far is that none of the dealers local to me seem to have any of these available to even look at, let alone test drive. It’s almost like they don’t really want you to buy one!
(On a similar note, I asked my local Nissan dealer sometime last year if I could test drive the then new Leaf. They rang me half an hour before my appointment to cancel as the car had broken down. They never did get back to me to re-schedule!)

If Mazda had a good-looking EV in their line-up I’d probably buy one in a heartbeat, given the great experience I’ve had with their products to date, but they’re late to the EV party and I’m not sure I want to wait till 2021 for their MX-30, especially with its limited range. Perfectly adequate for most days, but for that occasional long trip???

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Hello everyone

I’ve been following this forum (and others!) for a while as a prospective EV owner, so thought I’d just come and say hello.

I actually put down (and still have) a refundable deposit on a Tesla Model 3, but have been reluctant to pull the trigger on a purchase for a number of reasons. The “base” SR+ M3 model in the U.K. is well-equipped for sure, but is significantly more expensive than I had been anticipating for a so-called “affordable” Tesla. I certainly wasn’t expecting my first EV to be priced in luxury car tax territory!

Also, there have been the well-documented issues around Tesla quality control. As my nearest Tesla SC is over 40 miles away, I’m wary of turning up to collect my shiny new motor, only to find paint defects, panel gaps etc. haven’t been rectified in the rush to get new cars out the door as quickly as possible. I certainly wouldn’t be happy having to take a brand new vehicle back to have stuff fixed a matter of weeks after taking delivery as some customers have had to do. In their favour of course, is the supercharger network and the OTA updates.

I’ve been driving Mazdas for the last 14 years or so, and not one of them has let me down mechanically (apart from the usual unavoidable things like flat tyres, new tyres, battery etc.) Going from that to a car that not only costs more but might have to spend lots of time in the workshop having faults fixed would be hard to stomach.

All conjecture of course, as I may end up with a perfect example, but it did get me looking into the EV alternatives from other manufacturers, who might at least have honed their quality control systems after years of experience building ICE cars. Currently looking at the Ioniq (which seems a very capable car) and possibly the new Peugeot e2008. The biggest problem I’ve encountered so far is that none of the dealers local to me seem to have any of these available to even look at, let alone test drive. It’s almost like they don’t really want you to buy one!
(On a similar note, I asked my local Nissan dealer sometime last year if I could test drive the then new Leaf. They rang me half an hour before my appointment to cancel as the car had broken down. They never did get back to me to re-schedule!)

If Mazda had a good-looking EV in their line-up I’d probably buy one in a heartbeat, given the great experience I’ve had with their products to date, but they’re late to the EV party and I’m not sure I want to wait till 2021 for their MX-30, especially with its limited range. Perfectly adequate for most days, but for that occasional long trip???
I'm a MAZDA fan too (and Lancastrian living down south now) - had a Mazda MPV from new for 17 trouble free years. We too couldn't wait for the MX30 so went for an MG ZS EV which we collect 2nd March. Agree range of MX30 may be an issue - depends on your driving usage.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
I'm a MAZDA fan too (and Lancastrian living down south now) - had a Mazda MPV from new for 17 trouble free years. We too couldn't wait for the MX30 so went for an MG ZS EV which we collect 2nd March. Agree range of MX30 may be an issue - depends on your driving usage.
...oh, and welcome !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello everyone

Hi and welcome I have a model 3 which is my first EV and whilst not a fanatic I can honestly say I'm very happy with it. In response to the points you raised:

• Yes they are not cheap! In terms of whether they are worth it depends very much on your point of view and what you want from your first EV
• I'm 100 miles from my nearest Tesla SC so when i picked mine up I literally crawled all over it for an hour before I accepted it. In the 6 months I've owned it needed only a couple of minor squeaks fixed which could have been done by a mobile tech but took it to Leeds SC (a bit traumatic as I'm from Bolton originally) and it was fixed quickly.
• Yes there are a number of issues with build quality you might want to read the model 3 thread on this forum from my point of view I haven't had any problems with paint or panel gaps
• The supercharger network is very good especially if your driving distance it removes a lot of the charging issues around time, reliability and availability. I've only once so far found a broken supercharger but as there were 7 others at the same location it wasn't a problem?
• OTA updates are for me a revelation although tbh not solely the remit of Tesla any more.

Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts