Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2020 Renault Zoe 100kW i GT Line R135 50kWh
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

We've just taken delivery of our first EV, an ex-demo Renault Zoe as a replacement for a Clio. So far very happy with it, although getting used to not having a clutch has been a shock for the SO 馃檪

We live just outside Bristol and had a Pod Point Solo fitted last week so we're raring to go.

Under normal circumstances SO works in Bath so this will be her commuting car, but I hope to make some longer journeys in the coming months.

Looking forward to learning a lot from these very informative forums.

Cheers, David.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
I鈥檓 still, gently, working with my SO鈥檚 range nerves. Took our Zoe on a trip to meet visiting friends recently, round trip of about 120 miles, so only used 50% of the battery. I still have to plan where we鈥檒l be able to charge just so everyone relaxes. Confidence is growing slowly.

Registered
Welcome to the club! Make this forum your first port-of-call as there is a wealth of friendly and knowledgeable EV nerds here waiting to answer your queries! BTW, you're going to love the EV experience and more than likely get one of your own!

Registered
Kona64
Out of interest does your car dashboard show the charging rate when it is plugged in ?
eg 6.8k, 3.4 etc
Are you getting 7.1 off of this unit ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of interest does your car dashboard show the charging rate when it is plugged in ?
eg 6.8k, 3.4 etc
Are you getting 7.1 off of this unit ?
Only plugged it in once so far so I'm not sure, but will try to remember to check 馃檪

Registered
Congrats!

Please ensure no coiling of the charge cable unless you want to melt it / cause a fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that was true, every public charger in the country would have burst into flames by now.

OP: welcome, looks like you鈥檝e got the right setup for EV ownership. So many folks turn up saying they鈥檝e just bought a 70k Audi and don鈥檛 have anywhere to plug it in (but there鈥檚 a broken rapid at Morrison鈥檚 across the road and the man at Audi said it鈥檒l be fine), and we tell them to go buy a diesel instead 馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @TJEV - strangely the Renault dealership (City Motors in Bristol) claimed they had a duty of care and would not allow us to drive away until we had a charging point installed.

Not sure that was true (and they didn't check!) but fortunately it only took Podpoint 2 weeks to schedule (and they brought the date forward) and 2 visits to hook us up 馃檪

Registered
I鈥檓 still, gently, working with my SO鈥檚 range nerves. Took our Zoe on a trip to meet visiting friends recently, round trip of about 120 miles, so only used 50% of the battery. I still have to plan where we鈥檒l be able to charge just so everyone relaxes. Confidence is growing slowly.
Great choice, we got our Ex Demo Zoe in Feb. Glasgow based and have been as far as Chester. I used Instavolt, no issues or anxiety. Enjoy

Registered
If that was true, every public charger in the country would have burst into flames by now.

OP: welcome, looks like you鈥檝e got the right setup for EV ownership. So many folks turn up saying they鈥檝e just bought a 70k Audi and don鈥檛 have anywhere to plug it in (but there鈥檚 a broken rapid at Morrison鈥檚 across the road and the man at Audi said it鈥檒l be fine), and we tell them to go buy a diesel instead 馃槅
Agreed, I coiled my type 2 and charged Zoe at 22kw for well over 1 hr and kept an eye on things out of interest. Mildly warm nothing to cause alarm.

Registered
2016 Golf GTE, over 100k miles, full vw service history, new hybrid battery in 2021
Hello everybody,

We've just taken delivery of our first EV, an ex-demo Renault Zoe as a replacement for a Clio. So far very happy with it, although getting used to not having a clutch has been a shock for the SO 馃檪

We live just outside Bristol and had a Pod Point Solo fitted last week so we're raring to go.

View attachment 146841

Under normal circumstances SO works in Bath so this will be her commuting car, but I hope to make some longer journeys in the coming months.

Looking forward to learning a lot from these very informative forums.

Cheers, David.
Hello,nice looking car, welcome to the forum, I鈥檓 quite new to it all too, how was the service from pod point, was the installation straight forward?

Have you tried the 鈥榋ap-Map鈥 app? It shows you where all the charge points are and helps you plan journeys and is especially helpful on the longer trips too and should also help with range anxiety.

Enjoy the car and the forum too.

cheers

Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello,nice looking car, welcome to the forum, I鈥檓 quite new to it all too, how was the service from pod point, was the installation straight forward?

Have you tried the 鈥榋ap-Map鈥 app? It shows you where all the charge points are and helps you plan journeys and is especially helpful on the longer trips too and should also help with range anxiety.

Enjoy the car and the forum too.

cheers

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! 馃檪

Podpoint were pretty efficient. The only issue was they were supposed to send a part out prior to the installation and didn't (I wasn't aware of this).

The installer turned up and couldn't complete the job, but said he'd come back with the part a couple of days later.

In fact a different installer turned up expecting to do a full installation and thankfully the part had arrived just in time so he was able to complete the job.

I have installed zap map and it seems pretty good. I've also registered on Co-Charger as I used to work with Joel, their founder. Worth a look if you're prepared to allow others to use your charger (for a fee!).

Registered
2016 Golf GTE, over 100k miles, full vw service history, new hybrid battery in 2021
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! 馃檪

Podpoint were pretty efficient. The only issue was they were supposed to send a part out prior to the installation and didn't (I wasn't aware of this).

The installer turned up and couldn't complete the job, but said he'd come back with the part a couple of days later.

In fact a different installer turned up expecting to do a full installation and thankfully the part had arrived just in time so he was able to complete the job.

I have installed zap map and it seems pretty good. I've also registered on Co-Charger as I used to work with Joel, their founder. Worth a look if you're prepared to allow others to use your charger (for a fee!).
goodo, I鈥檝e currently not got a charge point installed at home but have been using the granny charger occasionally at work and using the free charge point at the Tesco I live next door too, I suspect as the novelty wears off and the weather turns for the worst I鈥檒l start looking at getting one installed.
I have just downloaded the co charger app, thanks.

cheers

Mike

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
Please ensure no coiling of the charge cable unless you want to melt it / cause a fire
This isn't the problem people think it is. Having a few loops of cable doesn't mean things get hot. Having a long cable tightly wound around a drum means there's limited surface area for the heat to escape. This is the problem with extension reels. Most give two current ratings, wound and unwound, which is entirely about heat dissipation. With a really long wound cable you might run into inductive problems but I don't believe that's a concern.

In this case there's no problem as the cable isn't that long, isn't tightly wound or enclosed.

Registered
With a really long wound cable you might run into inductive problems but I don't believe that's a concern.
Unlikely as the inductance caused by the current flowing in the Phase lead will be balanced by the current flowing in the opposite direction in the Neutral Lead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts