Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We currently have a 2009 Hyundai i20 which is showing signs of slowly dying and have started to think about our next car, and we both quite like the idea of an EV from an environmental point of view.

Our situation:
  • We've recently dropped down to only one car, so the EV would need to cover all bases
  • Would largely be used for my commute, which is 3 miles each way (yes, three. haha)
  • Occasional site trips during working hours, unlikely to be more than about 10 miles each way
  • May occasionally be used for husband's commute which is 11 miles each way
  • On about a monthly basis will likely be doing one of the following: drive to airport (50 mi each way), family (140 mi e/w) or friends (90 mi e/w)
  • Weekends will frequently be driving 15-20 miles e/w for assorted day trips/activities
  • Most of this driving, aside from the longer journeys, is largely country roads rather than motorways
  • We have driveway parking so can install a charging point at home, but no workplace charging (though hardly necessary with such a short commute ha)
We're in West Sussex, it's just the two of us for now. A bit of luggage space is nice of course as the husband is a mountain biker, but he makes do with the current vehicle well enough, so something of similar size would likely be fine. Don't need anything particularly flash or high end, budget is flexible but mostly after value for money.

Would appreciate your suggestions!

I'm still getting to grips with the difference between PCP, PCH, HP, subscription models or even just outright purchase. As we don't do a huge amount of miles I'd assume depreciation is unlikely to be too bad so would we be better off 'buying' in some form rather than 'leasing'?

Also have every intention of keeping the car for a good while (don't need to upgrade to have the latest and greatest every couple years), although obviously am conscious that with constantly improving battery tech and just the pure number of new EV models coming out at the moment it's all evolving quite rapidly at the moment, so would it be prudent to go for a temporary measure for a few years then upgrade?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,614 Posts
Hi - I’d start by seeing if you can get a new Zoe for a month from ONTO

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,614 Posts
I’m not too sure but know they have ordered a bulk load of new Zoes - my suspicion is they’ve currently got more than they have people waiting for, but if you gave them a quick call hopefully they can confirm straight away.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's a buyer's market, I'd say buy. I'm on my third EV and it's been cheaper than leasing. There will always be a flashier model in the future but so what?
All but the top end cars will need charging for that 140m each way trip, worth checking what rapid chargers exist for that journey on zapmap.
Budget?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,176 Posts
Do you know what the waitlists are like at the moment?
I Just talked to them at lunchtime out of curiosity to see what the deal is and now have a ZE50 coming from them on Monday!

ZE40 Is fully booked and you're looking at 3+ Months realistically.
ZE50 Iconic has a very small number of cars left and only one color (gray) remaining.
ZE50 GT they appear desperate to get people in right now and have 3 or 4 colors remaining.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I Just talked to them at lunchtime out of curiosity to see what the deal is and now have a ZE50 coming from them on Monday!

ZE40 Is fully booked and you're looking at 3+ Months realistically.
ZE50 Iconic has a very small number of cars left and only one color (gray) remaining.
ZE50 GT they appear desperate to get people in right now and have 3 or 4 colors remaining.

They are desperate for the ze50 as lots dropped out of the waitlists

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. While I expect something like on.to is good for initially trialing an EV and seeing if it works for us for a few months, I can't imagine its a very cost effective way to have an EV. Even PCLs seem a fair bit cheaper?

What vehicles/approaches might suit for longer-term ownership?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you can find a first gen Hyundai Ioniq, I would very seriously look at that...

Reactions: HandyAndy

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks for the advice. While I expect something like on.to is good for initially trialing an EV and seeing if it works for us for a few months, I can't imagine its a very cost effective way to have an EV. Even PCLs seem a fair bit cheaper?

What vehicles/approaches might suit for longer-term ownership?
It can work out to be a good deal depending on your circumstances. Remember that they give a more generous mileage allowance than your basic lease deals, the flexability to swap between cars and upgrade to the newest vehicles if you desire or simply cancel and return it whenever you want, as well as giving you inclusive insurance, servicing, charging etc. which can be great if you are considered higher risk by insurers due to age or location for example but of course you have to work out what will be the best value for money for your own situation.

As has been suggested above, if you are happy to stick with Hyundai, then the Ioniq seems like the logical upgrade path. It's a bit bigger than your i20, but they are a brand you will be familiar with, and they are well respected in the EV community due to their above average levels of efficiency. Their prices hold well and you'll pay more for a first gen. Ioniq than you would for the competition with a comparable battery size (for example 30kWh LEAF) but it is arguably well worth the extra money.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,189 Posts
Just curious, but how did that desperation manifest itself? They’ve always seemed pretty laid back in the past and not really into the hard sell.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just curious, but how did that desperation manifest itself? They’ve always seemed pretty laid back in the past and not really into the hard sell.
I explained what car I was after (ZE40 or next cheapest option, even open to something like a high mileage, old 94Ah i3 that they don't even advertise anymore if the price is right) and they instead started telling me about the ZE50 being available right now. I reluctantly agreed to upgrade to the ZE50 and asked for the Iconic. He then explained that availability of the GT was better and that I would get it sooner, how it has extra features and I would get a choice of colors. I pushed a little further and he then explained that there were actually some Iconics available and said they would book me in.

BUT as you're seeing over on the Evezy forums right now I haven't actually got my confirmation email, so getting a little worried and suspicious now.

He seemed to want to guide the convestation back to the ZE50 GT and it's benefits even though I had explained I was looking for the cheapest possible option, despite there being cheaper options available when I pushed for it.

(oh, and I somehow forgot, they offered a discount to go ZE50 too)

·
3,189 Posts
I explained what car I was after (ZE40 or next cheapest option, even open to something like a high mileage, old 94Ah i3 that they don't even advertise anymore if the price is right) and they instead started telling me about the ZE50 being available right now. I reluctantly agreed to upgrade to the ZE50 and asked for the Iconic. He then explained that availability of the GT was better and that I would get it sooner, how it has extra features and I would get a choice of colors. I pushed a little further and he then explained that there were actually some Iconics available and said they would book me in.

BUT as you're seeing over on the Evezy forums right now I haven't actually got my confirmation email, so getting a little worried and suspicious now.

He seemed to want to guide the convestation back to the ZE50 GT and it's benefits even though I had explained I was looking for the cheapest possible option, despite there being cheaper options available when I pushed for it.

(oh, and I somehow forgot, they offered a discount to go ZE50 too)
Are they worried they won’t find homes for these 1100 Zoes they’ve ordered? They offered the first 150 to reserve a ZE50 £150 off over three months. Was that what you were offered?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Are they worried they won’t find homes for these 1100 Zoes they’ve ordered? They offered the first 150 to reserve a ZE50 £150 off over three months. Was that what you were offered?
Yes. £50 discount for 3 months. I might still go back on the ZE40 waitlist and try to swap down after that point to save money depending on how much I like the new model.

They ordered 1100 of them!? I can see why they may be getting desperate now then. That seems excessive even with the levels of demand they had.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,228 Posts
The corsa E seem to be discounted. Cheapest on autotrader is now under £25k for an ex demo with under 1000 miles.

Longer journeys will mean charging probably once on the 90 mile each way and probably twice on 140 mile each way I'd think. Just depends on route and speed really.

·
3,189 Posts
Yes. £50 discount for 3 months. I might still go back on the ZE40 waitlist and try to swap down after that point to save money depending on how much I like the new model.
That’s a bit naughty really, as that was presented to the first 150 (may have been extended to 200 because of interest) current evezy subscribers as an exclusive offer. Also, if you hadn’t initially resisted, would they have signed you up on full price?

They ordered 1100 of them!? I can see why they may be getting desperate now then. That seems excessive even with the levels of demand they had.
They’re not getting them all at once, but deliveries will be spread out over several months. They may have just negotiated an option to buy up to that figure at a certain price. They then can call on them as and when they need them! That’s over £20M if they’re able to get them for £20k per unit. Perhaps Renault are just leasing them, and ONTO are not buying them at all.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It can work out to be a good deal depending on your circumstances. Remember that they give a more generous mileage allowance than your basic lease deals, the flexability to swap between cars and upgrade to the newest vehicles if you desire or simply cancel and return it whenever you want, as well as giving you inclusive insurance, servicing, charging etc. which can be great if you are considered higher risk by insurers due to age or location for example but of course you have to work out what will be the best value for money for your own situation.

As has been suggested above, if you are happy to stick with Hyundai, then the Ioniq seems like the logical upgrade path. It's a bit bigger than your i20, but they are a brand you will be familiar with, and they are well respected in the EV community due to their above average levels of efficiency. Their prices hold well and you'll pay more for a first gen. Ioniq than you would for the competition with a comparable battery size (for example 30kWh LEAF) but it is arguably well worth the extra money.
The Ioniq 28 range is comparable to the Leaf 40 (esp at speed) and has much faster charging - which is why they go for more money.
My 2016 Ioniq is still available- see the classified ad here. £15900 or offers.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hello!
We currently have a 2009 Hyundai i20 ...

Also have every intention of keeping the car for a good while
Same model and year of car and same intentions as me, and I live on the Hampshire/Sussex border. There's not many of us jumping from an old car like that (worth ~<£1500?) to an EV, but you obviously keep cars for a long time like I do. I'm not quite ready to buy yet but am also tempted by the Ioniq. First I'm having some hard-standing installed with ducting ready to take cable, and perhaps I should consider an earthing spike as well before the blocks are in position.

Incidentally I recently bought an electric bicycle: ideal for a 3 mile commute!:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same model and year of car and same intentions as me, and I live on the Hampshire/Sussex border. There's not many of us jumping from an old car like that (worth ~<£1500?) to an EV, but you obviously keep cars for a long time like I do. I'm not quite ready to buy yet but am also tempted by the Ioniq. First I'm having some hard-standing installed with ducting ready to take cable, and perhaps I should consider an earthing spike as well before the blocks are in position.

Incidentally I recently bought an electric bicycle: ideal for a 3 mile commute!:)
Ok seriously are you me.....? I am also v close to Hampshire and in the process of getting the driveway installed at the moment. 😆 And realistically the i20 does have some life left in it yet so not necessarily making a decision tomorrow.

I am actually a bit hesitant about the Ioniq though, I have owned two Hyundais now and have to admit I've been a little underwhelmed by both. Nothing dramatic - I obviously keep ending up with a Hyundai as they're always well reviewed and good value, and in terms of practicality they've been fine and no real issues, but I've enjoyed driving other cars more (most notably the Suzuki Swift I had prior to this vehicle which I loved) and I'd prefer not feeling a bit meh about my next car! That's not to say I'd totally discount it but at this stage I do want to keep my options open.

From reading around the forum a bit more in the last few days I'm sort of getting the impression that due to Coronavirus there's been a lot of demand and not a great deal of supply, so prices across the EV market generally aren't particularly amazing at the moment. There also seem to be a lot of new models in the pipeline from a large number of makes due to be released in the next 6 months to a year. I wonder if with more competition prices might have to get keener? I think I might sit and keep an eye on things for the next little while...

And maybe in the meantime look into an e-bike? 🤣

·
Registered
380 Posts
Spooky! Very similar to my view of the situation. The i20 is still going well, touch wood, and I've no actual need to change beyond wanting an EV. All my cars have been meh but I resent spending money on them and modern 10+ year old cars have always got me to and from the Alps fully loaded (especially on the way back!).

Once my blockwork goes in in September I'll be able to charge via granny cable and exploit my PV panels even if I'm waiting for a charger install.

I was going to jump on my electric bike and go and look at the MG EV at Portsmouth as I could afford it although resent buying new, but it's hissing down with rain again..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts