Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 11217 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Maybe I'm really dim but why does autonomous cars mean 90% fewer cars on the road? I see this sort of number being bandied around, but unless people autonomously stop going to work, you'll still have the exact same commute traffic - arguably more since instead of walking to my garage and directly driving to work, the autonomous car I've summoned first has to drive to my house to pick me up, thus actually increasing traffic, worst case two-fold !

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Maybe I'm really dim but why does autonomous cars mean 90% fewer cars on the road? I see this sort of number being bandied around, but unless people autonomously stop going to work, you'll still have the exact same commute traffic - arguably more since instead of walking to my garage and directly driving to work, the autonomous car I've summoned first has to drive to my house to pick me up, thus actually increasing traffic, worst case two-fold !
It is the other 14 people it picks up on the way that makes it special Joe!:eek:
You may have to leave at 4am to get to work on time, but we all have to make sacrifices!:confused:

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
VW
Sounds cheap seeing as VW was reported to be investing 84 billion USD (60 billion on the battery plant)!
VW Dan??
They have had that money a while now.
Their new Golf E should have a bigger battery pack but...
I was reading about a company in Austria that will fit a 55kWh pack to the Golf e.
A small company but they can do it!
I think it is Kreisel?
If I can find the article I will post a link to it.
VW are fiddling around like Nissan, it seems.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yes, we keep seeing that, but they mean less cars in car parks, not on the road. At peak time it could be worse, as if it's cheaper, more people may be tempted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
VW

VW Dan??
They have had that money a while now.
Their new Golf E should have a bigger battery pack but...
I was reading about a company in Austria that will fit a 55kWh pack to the Golf e.
A small company but they can do it!
I think it is Kreisel?
If I can find the article I will post a link to it.
VW are fiddling around like Nissan, it seems.
This was the VW article, hopefully they might actually produce something in quantity and try to sell it!

VW announces massive $84 billion investment in electric cars and batteries

Bit harsh to lump Nissan in with VW, in terms of fiddling around, IMHO!

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
This was the VW article, hopefully they might actually produce something in quantity and try to sell it!

VW announces massive $84 billion investment in electric cars and batteries

Bit harsh to lump Nissan in with VW, in terms of fiddling around, IMHO!
I am disappointed with Nissan and the NEW Leaf.
They have been playing with EV's longer than Tesla and look where they are.
Customer experiences at Nissan dealerships have varied with many having a poor knowledge and little interest in the Leaf.
The Leaf itself has stood still really, until now with the new model.
But even that is less than exciting and is not a patch on the concept.
They have a 60kWh battery now, that would shake up Tesla & GM but they are not interested.
It could be argued that VW have made more progress in less time??
Their NEW e-golf will have a similar range to the NEW 2018 Leaf.
Nissan have a great product with their E - NV200 van, but have done little with it.
It could have a 60kWh battery in it now making it really attractive, but no!!
Tesla are flying but Nissan EV's are crawling.

Just my thoughts Dan.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Exactly why we are leasing for now. Once i can get a 1 year old 60kwh leaf second hand i will buy outright and escape the monthly payment

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was speaking to a Nissan lad recently and he said there is a fantastic market waiting for the e-NV 200 van, with a 60 & 90 kWh battery option.
It would be fantastic, but Nissan have done nothing with it!!
Just think of all the local delivery vans, plumbers, carpenters etc etc who never go outside of a county. Mega bucks to be saved on them for fuel.

I actually had a pest exterminator fella come around last year to remove a wasp nest and he had an NV200 and loved it.

·
Leaf lover
3,696 Posts
I am disappointed with Nissan and the NEW Leaf.
They have been playing with EV's longer than Tesla and look where they are.
Customer experiences at Nissan dealerships have varied with many having a poor knowledge and little interest in the Leaf.
The Leaf itself has stood still really, until now with the new model.
But even that is less than exciting and is not a patch on the concept.
They have a 60kWh battery now, that would shake up Tesla & GM but they are not interested.
It could be argued that VW have made more progress in less time??
Their NEW e-golf will have a similar range to the NEW 2018 Leaf.
Nissan have a great product with their E - NV200 van, but have done little with it.
It could have a 60kWh battery in it now making it really attractive, but no!!
Tesla are flying but Nissan EV's are crawling.

Just my thoughts Dan.
At any one time things look as if they are standing still but look at the progress of ev over this decade and it has been great.
Tesla are the only company competing against ice sales and the ice rationale, all the rest are balancing their manufacture of ice vehicles and still assessing how best for them to introduce ev or more positively electrify their range.
Nissan made a great start but appear to be resting on their laurel leafs somewhat.
However the Tokyo Motor Show is coming soon and that's when I hope much more will be announced from them.

21 - 40 of 11217 Posts