Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 11161 Posts

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
At any one time things look as if they are standing still but look at the progress of ev over this decade and it has been great.
Tesla are the only company competing against ice sales and the ice rationale, all the rest are balancing their manufacture of ice vehicles and still assessing how best for them to introduce ev or more positively electrify their range.
Nissan made a great start but appear to be resting on their laurel leafs somewhat.
However the Tokyo Motor Show is coming soon and that's when I hope much more will be announced from them.
I felt just like you Richard hearing all the promises, but it is all 'jam tomorrow'.
Nothing has actually happened apart from Tesla!!
The Roadster ( great investment for members who have one ). 54kWh battery
Model S 100kWh battery
Model X
Model M
Model Y in the pipeline
New Roadster in the pipeline.
June 2012 since the Model S launch!!!

The frog eyed Leaf Launched in 2010. 20 kWh battery
" " " " then 30Kwh battery.
Nissan E-NV200 80 mile range tops!!
Image Tesla bringing out a van with 80 mile range, and thinking it was 'Amazing'???

Sometime next year for us the NEW 'Amazing' 40 kWh Leaf - the Tesla killer, if you listen
to the top brass at Nissan!!
That's it!!!!

Kia have gone to sleep.
Hyundai are as rare as Rocking horse droppings.
Back the Nova with the Leaf.
Golf-e
notorious bad deliveries and less than 40 kWh battery.

OK my Leaf Konked out today!!!!!
12v battery appeared to be dead.
Red 12v battery light on bit the car would not allow drive or reverse!!
Tried many times.
Called the Garage "not our problem away from their garage.
Rang Nissan Rescue.
Chap turned up who said 'they told me it was a diesel'.
Knew nothing about EV's but established that the battery was fine!!
It is working now, for no reason I can fathom so Nissan want it in to check!
Booked in for Tuesday!!!

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just think of all the local delivery vans, plumbers, carpenters etc etc who never go outside of a county. Mega bucks to be saved on them for fuel.

I actually had a pest exterminator fella come around last year to remove a wasp nest and he had an NV200 and loved it.
That was his point Jim!!
Big market waiting!!
Imagine if it had 150 or 200 mile range!!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Strange that with 40,000 jobs under threat at Uber this is not the headline the bbc are running with - are 4000 unionized steel workers in South Wales of import but 40k drivers in London collateral damage?

Re Nissan: I read mention that Mitsubishi may be announcing an EV SUV at the Tokyo motor show, hopefully for 2018?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Booked in for Tuesday!!!
I predict that they will replace the 12v battery and send you on your way.

Most likely it will be yet another example of the car's system failing to keep that 12v battery healthy. There are numerous examples of this type of fault but Nissan refuse to even acknowledge the possibility of such things. I have declared UDI on this issue and now place the 12v battery on a smart charger once per month for as long as possible to not just ensure a full charge but also to condition the cells. A case of preventative maintenance to avoid any such issues.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Maybe I'm really dim but why does autonomous cars mean 90% fewer cars on the road? I see this sort of number being bandied around, but unless people autonomously stop going to work, you'll still have the exact same commute traffic - arguably more since instead of walking to my garage and directly driving to work, the autonomous car I've summoned first has to drive to my house to pick me up, thus actually increasing traffic, worst case two-fold !
I suppose that the car could be programmed to pick up folk going in the same direction and route accordingly, maybe.

·
Registered
554 Posts
He's been talking to James Cook, who has received a special bed for his Tesla as part of the referral programme. (See James' Vlog)
James has been doing very well out of the tesla referal programme and his youtube channel. On his vlog in just the last month or two hes had two ride on toy Model S's, 2 leather bags, a set of alloys and now this sleep thing! Time to get the video camera out i think!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was speaking to a Nissan lad recently and he said there is a fantastic market waiting for the e-NV 200 van, with a 60 & 90 kWh battery option.
It would be fantastic, but Nissan have done nothing with it!!
A 90kwh e-NV200 would do the job for our company. If it was on sale now we'd be snapping one up no problem. I've been told to keep my eye out for a hybrid or electric van but there, at least at the moment, is very little choice, especially if any distance is involved.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I predict that they will replace the 12v battery and send you on your way.

Most likely it will be yet another example of the car's system failing to keep that 12v battery healthy. There are numerous examples of this type of fault but Nissan refuse to even acknowledge the possibility of such things. I have declared UDI on this issue and now place the 12v battery on a smart charger once per month for as long as possible to not just ensure a full charge but also to condition the cells. A case of preventative maintenance to avoid any such issues.
It was really odd as the 12v battery was fully charged???
I was hoping it was a flat battery!!
I have a trickle charger I could use.
Praying they can find something!
My wife is not happy as I was going to get her a Goldfish and tank but had to cancel!!:eek:
She has lost confidence in the Leaf!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It was really odd as the 12v battery was fully charged???
I was hoping it was a flat battery!!
I have a trickle charger I could use.
Praying they can find something!
My wife is not happy as I was going to get her a Goldfish and tank but had to cancel!!:eek:
She has lost confidence in the Leaf!!:rolleyes:
I bet it that wasn't fully charged at all. The call-out guy would have just checked that juice was there probably. A Leaf seems to be highly sensitive to voltage. The traction battery is meant to keep it full but there seems to be some sort of circumstance where it fails to do that at random times. It's not like an ICE where the battery only needs to crank the engine into life and then the alternator takes over to provide full voltage. That cranking can happen with a low voltage - just a bit of a struggle but still works. In a Leaf full voltage seems to be required to persuade the car's electronics to function.

I would strongly recommend Leaf owners to invest in a decent 12v DC 'smart' charger that will condition the battery as well as charge it in a controlled manner after it has run a diagnostic check. The charge session should be run regularly and for at least 12 hours if possible to allow it to complete it's charge cycle and then conditioning process. The session should be at least monthly as a matter of routine and irrespective of whether any problem has occurred. It should be part of a monthly tyre kicking and screen wash top-up routine. It shouldn't be necessary but many threads in here have shown that it could prevent a lot of concern - and make for successful goldfish buying trips, and marital harmony. Noooooo not that sort............

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I bet it that wasn't fully charged at all. The call-out guy would have just checked that juice was there probably. A Leaf seems to be highly sensitive to voltage. The traction battery is meant to keep it full but there seems to be some sort of circumstance where it fails to do that at random times. It's not like an ICE where the battery only needs to crank the engine into life and then the alternator takes over to provide full voltage. That cranking can happen with a low voltage - just a bit of a struggle but still works. In a Leaf full voltage seems to be required to persuade the car's electronics to function.

I would strongly recommend Leaf owners to invest in a decent 12v DC 'smart' charger that will condition the battery as well as charge it in a controlled manner after it has run a diagnostic check. The charge session should be run regularly and for at least 12 hours if possible to allow it to complete it's charge cycle and then conditioning process. The session should be at least monthly as a matter of routine and irrespective of whether any problem has occurred. It should be part of a monthly tyre kicking and screen wash top-up routine. It shouldn't be necessary but many threads in here have shown that it could prevent a lot of concern - and make for successful goldfish buying trips, and marital harmony. Noooooo not that sort............
I have a conditioner so that will be a good routine for me.
He tested the battery and said it was reading 12volts so I assumed it was fully charged?

The missus is not happy.
Her family live by the feud!

Here they are posing for a group photo:-

orQXuNoXXrP1hNEM3SwRPUEB.jpeg

41 - 60 of 11161 Posts