Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,315 Posts
My opinion is that you need to make it clear what your research objectives are if you are going to tie people's time up.

(I thought we'd set up a forum for people with questionnaires?)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Question 7 would be better split into separate questions.

Some people are willing to pay a subscription and some people are not. Some people may not be willing to pay for a subscription, but would be happy to pay for electricity used on a PAYG basis.

7. How much are you willing to pay per month to charge at public charge points? (including both subscription and electricity costs) Required
- Less than 10 GBP
- 10 GBP to 20 GBP
- 20 GBP to 50 GBP
- More than 50 GBP

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Q7 needs a selection to offer unwillingness to enter into any subscription plan whatever the price. Many drivers only need very occasional charger access away from home or work so that any monthly subscription plan is a waste of money. They will even refuse to register and lodge funds for future use. But they will always be happy to pay an enhanced fee per kWh for ad hoc access. Your questionnaire gives those people no option other than the lowest monthly- which still gives a false impression and will distort your result considerably.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
"vehicle performance" - what do you mean by that? do you mean 0-60? standing 1/4 mile? efficiency?smoothness of ride? immediate response? Something else?

Q6 are you serious?
Do you really think people plug electric cars in every time they see a charge point? Do you plug your phone in to charge every time you see a socket?

Q7. How about "never" (as said by others). Q "Would you rather pay £500 or £100 a month for mobile charging" - result = headline reading "100% of users of EVs said they would pay £100 a month to charge a car"

Q8. Nonsensical. "Assuming you can still charge at home, at work places and during long journeys, would you still be able to drive your EV as usual if there were no other charge points accessible to you?" By definition, of course you could since you could charge at the start, during a journey, and at the end. What else would you need? Or did I miss something?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
so my PHEV (as GE call it an EREV) with a greater electric range then early BEV's is ruled out, I guess this also rules out the i3 rex.

Hmm you did notice the goverment has mandated ad-hoc (IE no subscription) charging....

I think from the questions this is not well thought out.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
This is information gathering for an MSc dissertation. It reveals a deep and worrying lack of understanding of the subject. The sad part is that the resulting paper will be assessed by someone with even less knowledge and probably be marked as satisfactory. And from such filed papers a future government will base decisions. What chance do we have?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
7. How much are you willing to pay per month to charge at public charge points? (including both subscription and electricity costs) Required
- Less than 10 GBP
- 10 GBP to 20 GBP
- 20 GBP to 50 GBP
- More than 50 GBP
I'd missed the point that the amount bundles subscription AND electricity together !

That's ridiculous, because the amount of electricity used depends both how much you are driving, and how much charging you can do at home. So knowing that one person says they would spend "less than £10", and another "more than £50" doesn't leave you any the wiser about what that means, it might even be that the high spender does fewer miles than the low spender since teh high mileage users does trips return from home or work and doenst need to use a public charger. And of course one may be reimbursed by their company and another not.

Imagine if you surveyed ICE drivers and asked "How much are you willing to pay per month for petrol/diesel" The answer would basically be dependent upon how many miles a month they drove and the efficiency of their car and if soemone else (a company) was paying them. Meaningless.

Basically another idiotic survey questions posed by someone who obviously understands nothing about the subject.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,315 Posts
That makes no sense to me at all. Different modes of travel warrant different rates. Even the same mode but at different times, and whether the payment covers the convenience of missing traffic and getting there quickly or not.

So, could you expand on this a little more?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts