Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning my first EV a Vauxhall Ampera for two weeks I must say I am loving it BUT.

Maybe I think to much, but when you own an EV (or in my case the half way house (or should that be car)
don't you think it changes the way you think about the car ownership.

With the common ICE you get in switch all the mod cons on, drive it and then once, twice or however many times a month you put your fuel in and just accept that is what it costs.

When you get an EV it seems at the moment I am evaluating everything I do while driving, the heating systems, the demisting systems, your acceleration, your braking, every other system in the car, it will all have an impact on your range and you know immediately what that impact is...

In some ways I think owning a smart phone is a good starters guide to owning an EV because the more you use all its functions the quicker the battery dies..

Now I read a review that Chris Evans wrote this year about the BMW I3 and at the time I didn't think to much about it just thinking he is a typical Petrolhead (or whatever the term is) - link below for the review (is this allowed)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/eve...-looks-shes-just-bags-trouble-shes-worth.html

Now I think he is right, up to a point.. I think owning an electric car is exactly as he describes, BUT

We have been using ICE for so long that we have become blinded by the fact that everything you do in an ICE car effects the range but you just do not see it so clearly.

To move forward and embrace EV ownership you need to reprogram your mindset.

You ARE aware that everything you do in your effects the range but electric is cheaper then petrol/diesel and providing you can get to where you want to go it will be a good thing.

Ok the cost of the car in the first place (at the moment (usually, looking at the Mitsubishi PHEV here) is more expensive but you are buying something that feels special.

Then theres the environmental issues, a few people at my workplace are saying that EV's are actually more damaging to the environment then ICE however, as I primary reason for buying an EV was never the green issue I have not done to much study on this so have not argued this case to much.

So why did I buy an EV, well the reason was is because I want to live at cheaply as possible, my salary is not the greatest but I am good at saving and I like to pay more and then reduce my monthly outlay.

Therefore not so much to pay on bills, i.e. got Solar Panels to reduce electricity bills, now the car to perhaps use some of that energy and also stop paying for the diesel etc, anyway you get the picture...

Anyway I hoping that soon I will just accept (like I do my Smartphone) that this is the way it now works and just getting on with enjoying the new car like I did all the other cars before it.

Anyway I am probably talking utterly tosh but just thought it was worth reflecting upon.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Opposite of tosh! Very much to the point. You could describe it as precision transport: gearing your energy usage to precisely what you need to get from A to B in a particular set of conditions, as opposed to sloppy transport: just get in the car, put your foot down and damn the externalities!

Unfortunately we're never going to convert a majority of people to care enough to adopt this attitude, short of a cataclysm that is severe enough to bring the truth home to people yet, improbably, not so severe that they can't afford to buy an electric car...

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
You're right, being immediately aware of your energy consumption when driving does change one's thinking. I'm very protective of my range remaining and delight in eking out the battery capacity as far as I can. An EV range of 60-80 miles is akin to driving an ICE with the low fuel warning light always on.

There's no question that once you have laid out your capital on an EV the ongoing running costs are predictable and relatively low.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Absolutely spot on. I also went the PHEV route, as I didn't think the charging infrastructure worked for the journeys I did. However, the 16A slow charging and 'small' battery on the Ampera do frustrate me at times, especially when you end up using a mile or so of petrol!
I was surprised that my wife liked it so much. If I could get the leaf running gear into an Ampera body, she would love it !
So the little hints about swapping her ICE for an BEV have started. As she only does 6000 miles a year I think we could probably cover the cost of a pcp on a leaf or Zoe for the amount it costs to run her ice (£180-200 per month)....

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Totally agree with the change of thinking that EV's create. With a pure BEV this is enforced due to lack of back-up option. You get into a more planned lifestyle.

Even with PHEV you will begrudge the need to resort to the fossil fuel.;)

especially when you end up using a mile or so of petrol!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Strangely since I went EV my mileage has gone up. Mainly due to the sheer pleasure of driving a fun car. After 48 years and 750000 miles I was getting jaded with driving but the LEAF is such fun. The fact that each mile is so cheap has had some effect, but I havn't had such a great car for years.(Not since a Daf 44 for those with long memories and a sense of humour)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Strangely since I went EV my mileage has gone up. Mainly due to the sheer pleasure of driving a fun car. After 48 years and 750000 miles I was getting jaded with driving but the LEAF is such fun. The fact that each mile is so cheap has had some effect, but I havn't had such a great car for years.(Not since a Daf 44 for those with long memories and a sense of humour)
Only 42 ICE years for me but I also find I now drive more. Its low cost and doesn't use oil and I enjoy it. The old Prius was a great car but my best long distance result was only 73mpg.
I think I have got to the point where I feel I have used more than my share of the oil reserves.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
(Not since a Daf 44 for those with long memories and a sense of humour)
From my long memory, Daf 44.

Acceleration "Like a Leaf in Eco mode"
Gears Select forward or back "Like a Leaf"
Used to make a strange whistling sound "Like a Leaf pedestrian warning"

I think I am starting to understand your choice of car;).

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Daf 44.
Just like a LEAF the gear lever acted 'backwards' . push forwards for reverse and pull back for going forwards. I discovered that on day one when I reversed into a wall as I started the engine. (You couldn't engage drive if the engine was in neutral, that was for pre-warming the engine only,) Maybe I like perverse technology?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
For a period of about 6 years up to 2012 I used to cycle further every year that the car travelled - and there are three drivers in my house. I think we visited the petrol station 13 times in the whole year. We were running at 1 visit per month but then went to see my wife's family, who live about 250 miles away. We filled up twice that month.

I have had the Leaf since February and we have done about 14000 miles in it so far. True, our lives have changed in that my wife and I spend one day a week looking after grandchildren and that involves a round trip of at least 120 miles. Also, about this time last year my wife's mother died and this has necessitated a number of trips up north to sort out her estate (she didn't make a will). Add to that the fact that I tore a calf muscle in August when on a cycle camping tour and that has meant that I haven't been on the bike for almost 3 months.

So yes, after something like 42 years driving I too find myself lured by the temptress that is the Nissan Leaf.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have two home built EV's and been driving them for around 5 years.
I also owned an M3 for around 12 years but the last few years actually hated filling it up so seldom used it.
After finding my Ampera for a really attractive price, I have to say I am blown away with the "off the line" performance but find I then glide along at barely over the speed limit where safe.
Similar to @The_Wiggster 's opening post, I also juggle with climate control to juggle as many miles as possible from the battery pack. Its like an ongoing game and I reached 48 miles once but it was a nice day.
ICE's are so last century but with the OEM and oil companies help are hanging on by their fingertips.

It will take time and need more than a few positive reviews from less biased journalists to sell the numerous virtues of electric driving.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I sympathise with everything The_Wigster says, and have made my decisions for almost the same reasons including the solar panels etc? The difference for me is I like being more aware of the energy I'm using. It is the Ice vehicles in my past that are wrong to hide it from me in my book. Also it didn't take very long to just use the car and not worry about the energy use. I like to know and understand it, and predict when I should hypermile it to avoid petrol usage if possible, and then floor it because I can afford it at economy seven or solar PC produced costs. I enjoy having "a new game to play" on long journeys instead of how soon can I get there, now I work on how little petrol I can get away with using. I drive more safely as a result and arrive a few minutes later but less tired and stressed. So I think these are all GOOD THINGS. Isn't that why few people go back to non-EVs after having an EV?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Tell me about it..I based the 7500 range figure for the Zoe agreement on my former Panda's mileage of 24k over 4 years..not even 5 months in yet,and I just passed 4k!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Same here. Previous ICE was doing 4k a year. Leaf has just passed that on 5 months on a 7.5k contract.

Still, excess of 10p a mile is cheaper than running the ICE and if we trade it for a new one we don't have to pay it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts