Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate that this will be highly unscientific, but, does anyone have any views or sense of how the experience differs as an EV driver in your part of the UK?

Is there any significant differences when you compare Scotland to England, for example?

I’m aware that the Scottish Government targets for new ICE vehicles are 8 years ahead of the UK Government, does this have an impact?

I also get the sense that there are more free charging points in Scotland (although this may be biased based on my paying more attention here).

Or is your local regional/county council more relevant to your overall experience?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
My main impression is: Scotland free, England not free.

Scotland is also much more forward-looking, judging by the Dundee hub people have posted about. Maybe London is ahead of the the rest of England, but I wouldn't know about that.

And I don't think I'd like to be an EV driver in Wales at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Is there any significant differences when you compare Scotland to England, for example?
The biggest difference is in the rapid charger infrastructure.

The network in England is a like Jackson Pollock painting. There is a big blob of government funded rapid chargers around Milton Keynes and the rest is incomprehensible.

Scotland is reasonably well served by a single government supported network. A handful of privately operated rapid chargers add redundancy.

Wales is mostly empty. Ecotricity with help from Nissan and the EU provide a sparse East -West network that covers North and South Wales. Mid- and West-wales have nothing at all.

NI -- I have no idea. We should be paying more attention.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Or is your local regional/county council more relevant to your overall experience?
Leaving rapid charger policy up to local councils in England was an error and waste of taxpayer money.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@john_mmm Just interested why are you asking?

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, to be honest.

Currently a one car (ICE) household with no off street parking.

Considering a second-hand Zoe, as a second car, that as needed would be charged at one of a couple of different park-and-ride train stations on my commute.

Parking and charging both free due to the Chargeplace Scotland network being put together by the Scottish Government.

I realise that when I need to go further afield, drive into the city etc. it may be necessary for me to pay for parking and occasionally charging.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Considering a second-hand Zoe, as a second car, that as needed would be charged at one of a couple of different park-and-ride train stations on my commute.

Generally I don't recommend owning an EV if you do not have a reserved spot for charging.

It can be done and has been done but most of the time it isn't painless.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I concur with @andrew*debbie that you either need your own or guaranteed residential charging. Taking your chances on the availability, reliability and affordability of public charging is somewhere between brave and foolish.

An exception might be a large battery EV and good, nearby availability of ultra rapid charging. Today that means a Tesla, but in future perhaps Kona, iPace, etc.

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
My own estimation for the South East (Kent, Essex generally) is that its all a bit of a lottery in terms of there being a Rapid Charger site and whether it works or not. That said, the infrastructure is definitely fleshing out and the relatively recent entry by Shell and BP are promising. The smaller independents need to get a move on with their Rapid Charge sites, particularly along major routes (the A12 is a case in point).

For England, at least, it all looks and feels a bit (!) disjointed and opportunistic ... No sign of coherence either from government or even the independents, who really should form an association of to help ensure they can collectively optimise deployment.

Local government is an utter shambles, with policies varying from pro-EV to a continued entrenched hatred of anything that is car. My own local council has stuck up a small row of 13A sockets in the town car park. I really don't fancy putting out a £350 EVSE for some urchin to nick to sell on EBay. There's not a single L2 public charge point within 10 miles radius of the town.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps by all accounts, it seems, that I’m actually quite well served, particularly for someone who lives out in the sticks.

It seems that there’s a fairly joined up approach; in my experience just about all of the Scotrail Park & Ride carparks (and some of the Glasgow Underground too) have, working and available charge points.

My usual commute involves a 5 mile drive to the station where there are two rapid chargers, in the last year of undertaking this journey they have been in use <10% of the time. At another, slightly further away station there are four fast charging points.

A guess that I’m trying to remain optimistic; I appreciate that most EV ownership advice recommends access to charging at home, however this is often followed by “or charging at work”. While a carpark isn’t perhaps quite as secure, I am thinking it is in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I guess you're planning to leave the car plugged in all day, which only leaves one free for anyone else for the rest of the day. If someone else decides to do the same, that's no chargers free for the whole working day, while the cars would be charged in a few hours.It's not really a sustainable way to use rapid chargers

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, don't think so, I was probably going to only use the other station (4 fast charging posts), if leaving all day; would only use rapid if attended.

I guess you're planning to leave the car plugged in all day, which only leaves one free for anyone else for the rest of the day. If someone else decides to do the same, that's no chargers free for the whole working day, while the cars would be charged in a few hours.It's not really a sustainable way to use rapid chargers

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
No, don't think so, I was probably going to only use the other station (4 fast charging posts), if leaving all day; would only use rapid if attended.
Plugging into a rapid charger for an 8 hour work day while you've caught the train to work with the car charged in under 45 minutes and then blocking the charger for the rest of the time is definitely a no-no.

Even if there aren't any posted time limits or overstaying fees you will earn the eyre of other EV drivers very, very rapidly as it would be extremely bad etiquette.

Rapid chargers are not for being left unattended significantly beyond the required charging time. A level 2 "fast" charger that's in a long stay car park on the other hand is fair game - as long as there is no signage to state a time limit and you have paid parking if any is applicable, you are free to plug your car in there until you return from work, day after day.

Charging time depending on the car and distance travelled would probably be at least half the time you're away anyway.

Keep in mind that other drivers are also welcome to do the same thing, so a point may be reached in the near future where you arrive at the train station and all the fast chargers are already taken. What is your plan B then ?

You could use the rapid charger for 30 minutes or so on the way home from work - if its not already being used, but that extra delay or possibility that the rapid charger is occupied or broken is not something I would look forward to on the way home!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think this is pretty much exactly what I was saying in my previous post: would only use rapid if I was with the car, and would generally plan for leaving on a fast charging post whilst at work.

Plugging into a rapid charger for an 8 hour work day while you've caught the train to work with the car charged in under 45 minutes and then blocking the charger for the rest of the time is definitely a no-no.

Even if there aren't any posted time limits or overstaying fees you will earn the eyre of other EV drivers very, very rapidly as it would be extremely bad etiquette.

Rapid chargers are not for being left unattended significantly beyond the required charging time. A level 2 "fast" charger that's in a long stay car park on the other hand is fair game - as long as there is no signage to state a time limit and you have paid parking if any is applicable, you are free to plug your car in there until you return from work, day after day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the news on ZapMap 13th July - new charging hub opens in Dundee with 10 charge points but on 3rd July the news was that four 350kW ultra-rapid charge points were opened in Eindhoven in a location that will have 50 charge points.

Dundee population 148,000 - 20 rapid chargers, Portsmouth population 238,000 - zero rapid chargers and in case you were wondering the population of Eindhoven is 223,000.

So Scotland may be well ahead of the rest of the UK but it is still well behind Europe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the news on ZapMap 13th July - new charging hub opens in Dundee with 10 charge points but on 3rd July the news was that four 350kW ultra-rapid charge points were opened in Eindhoven in a location that will have 50 charge points.

Dundee population 148,000 - 20 rapid chargers, Portsmouth population 238,000 - zero rapid chargers and in case you were wondering the population of Eindhoven is 223,000.

So Scotland may be well ahead of the rest of the UK but it is still well behind Europe.
A quick look on Wikipedia: as of the end of 2015 EV by market share about ten times in the Netherlands to what it is in the UK.

Guess it's back to chicken and egg, regarding which come first: ownership or infrastructure.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts