Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm committed to EV ownership and have applied for the OLEV grant and charger fitting, via Pod Point, in what I thought was good time. I've put collection back a week already as Pod Point haven't got back to me. This despite me asking them if they could give any priority to a keyworker who not only has to commute outside public transport times but is also on call. They said they could and would.

When I chased them today, they've apologised for not marking my application as promised and then they've reviewed it and got back to me to say its a 'No Go' without Northern Power unlooping the power supply to our home and that this will take circa 6 weeks!

I'm supposed to collect the car tomorrow and thought I'd only have to manage for a few days on a 13 amp plug but am now wondering if I will have to give backward and lose my deposit and the deal. Not only that but it took me some time to find the right car for me.

The M1 isn't too far form home and there are, I think, fast chargers at Wooley. Not ideal but maybe a combination of that and top up via overnight 13 amp may be feasible. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of situation or ideas I might not have thought about? I am a complete newbie and doing my best to gen up but so far EV ownership isn't proving as easy or encouraged as I thought it would be!

Thanks for any feedback etc

Kind regards

Steve AKA Hookster

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Hi,

I'm committed to EV ownership and have applied for the OLEV grant and charger fitting, via Pod Point, in what I thought was good time. I've put collection back a week already as Pod Point haven't got back to me. This despite me asking them if they could give any priority to a keyworker who not only has to commute outside public transport times but is also on call. They said they could and would.

When I chased them today, they've apologised for not marking my application as promised and then they've reviewed it and got back to me to say its a 'No Go' without Northern Power unlooping the power supply to our home and that this will take circa 6 weeks!

I'm supposed to collect the car tomorrow and thought I'd only have to manage for a few days on a 13 amp plug but am now wondering if I will have to give backward and lose my deposit and the deal. Not only that but it took me some time to find the right car for me.

The M1 isn't too far form home and there are, I think, fast chargers at Wooley. Not ideal but maybe a combination of that and top up via overnight 13 amp may be feasible. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of situation or ideas I might not have thought about? I am a complete newbie and doing my best to gen up but so far EV ownership isn't proving as easy or encouraged as I thought it would be!

Thanks for any feedback etc

Kind regards

Steve AKA Hookster
It all depends on your daily mileage and whether you arrive home late and leave early.

What car

How many daily miles

What overnight electrical loads

etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the reply. Its a second hand BMW i3 120ah I works shifts to a very ad hoc pattern and come and go at all hours. We are new to the house and the previous owners had PAYG meters for gas and electric - they were swapped out for PAYG Smart Meters and British Gas say no merit in Economy 7 as will lose out on daytime tariff.

I commute 20 miles round trip and it is 50/50 urban/rural with one significant climb from Durker to Bretton on the A636 but am guessing that cancels out on the downward side (it does with current Hybrid C-HR.

There are no significant loads apart form Washer and Dryer but these can be timed around charging from the 13 Amp socket (and will have to be as they will share the same circuit breaker.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,550 Posts
I would say it's possible depending on how flexible you can be. Have a look at https://www.zap-map.com/live/ for any chargers that are near to home or even work and arrange to charge when you leave work or on the way home, then you are not in a rush to get to work. Also, look at the networks to find out what cards/apps you need. You might prefer to do a wee bit of a detour to save some cost on the charging until you get the home one installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and thanks to all for your help.

I've just got an email from Pod Point to say that we will have to pay for the supply of a new mains cable into our house and next door's (as it is us instigating the work) I can't see that going down well with the neighbours at all and think I will have to give backward on the car and lose the deposit etc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Er what?

If someone can correct me but if you have a looped supply it's up to the DNO to either say you can install on a looped supply (normally with a ct clamp) or they'll in loop you.

I've never heard of the customer been asked to pay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I'm not sure how it works but Pod Point se t the attached file and an application form. I can't see the neighbours tolerating the disruption of their property digging up without it causing ill will etc. I know about Statuary Undertakers and their powers to enter property for works etc but who wants to upset their neighbours like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
I’d your service head is on a outer wall it’s not that much of a distruption tbh.

if it’s a nightmare to do they may let you install on a ct.

looks like podpoint are pushing some of the admin work back to the customer....

·
Registered
40 Leaf
230 Posts
Get a local sparkie to fit you a 16A commando and buy one of these:

If you can overnight charge it should be all you need, you should be able to 80% charge a 120 i3 in about 10 hours on a 16 A charger like this.

No unlooping needed if it’s a fairly easy install fit your electrician should be fairly cheap too.

safer than a granny charger they tend to melt the socket your using sooner or later.

much cheaper than paying to have a new incoming cable installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi! I should be getting my car next week, but my charger install has been delayed for the same reason.

But in my case, the DNO (Electricity Northwest) are doing the unlooping for free in a couple of weeks. Charger install booked in shortly after (not podpoint!). I’d try contacting your DNO directly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My DNO is UK Power Networks and I’m also on a looped supply with my neighbours. (They loop off me.) Each house has a 60A fuse on their cutout. The neighbours are not keen on the disruption, even if it would be at no cost to them and result in both properties getting their own 100A supply. (Plus the fact neighbour has an e-tron he charges at 13A, so a bit rich for him to complain.)

I was told by one installer that I could have a charger but, if nothing was changed, the DNO would require it to be limited to 16A. That lead me to contact my DNO to find out what could be done.

I’ve had several conversations with UK Power Networks and two visits from them. The end result is that - as the neighbours won’t agree to be unlooped - the engineers are going to upgrade my (very old) cutout with a new one that has an 80A fuse. The neighbours will also get a new cutout but with a 60A fuse. (This, I believe, is down to the cables that run in to their property.)

If the neighbours want to get a 30A charger in the future they’ll have to ask to be unlooped and possibly pay. Meanwhile I can get my 30A charger without issue.

Fortunately the time scale for my EV - early next year - isn’t as tight as yours.

One note - if you are the property that is looped on to then you might be able to persuade your neighbours. The engineer who came today explained that the person who is the end of the loop (as it were) would be the one who would have the new supply run in, and that the existing cable would be cut off, with minimum disruption to that person’s house.

I may be wrong but I believe UK Power Networks policy is that if it is the person who is looped off from who requests the unlooping it’s done at no cost to either house. If it’s the person who is the looper (as it were) then they have to pay. Could be wrong in that though

Either way I suggest a chat with your DNO directly. UK Power Networks have been very helpful to me so far, and if the neighbours had agreed to be unlooped there wouldn’t have been any charge.

Hope you can get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
355 Posts
contact your regional electricity network (DNO). Northern Powergrid in my case. I have a looped supply and the usual 60A fuse. I’ve called to ask them about it and they’re sending someone out to take a look. I’ll get an upgrade to 80A breaker at no cost. If they have to do work to enable that, they will, but I get the impression they’ll just stick a bigger fuse in there. I’ve never heard of anyone having to pay for this, though I can see those days may come.

Pod-Point are probably over cautious.

granny charger runs at up to 10amps. Probably about 8mph, so you can work out what range you’ll add in the time you have. Reckon you’d be fine.
It worth making sure the socket you plan to use is decent, if unsure, replace it. Dirt cheap but avoids risk of an old, worn socket getting hot. If you need an extension I can recommend Toughleads. I’m currently charging my Niro with the supplied granny charger at the end of a 20m toughleads extension. All is fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Due to the layout of the cables, there's actually only going too be minimal disruption to both us and our neighbours. But they were fine about it anyway (and means they can get an EV charger more easily in future too).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you can overnight charge it should be all you need, you should be able to 80% charge a 120 i3 in about 10 hours on a 16 A charger like this.

No unlooping needed if it’s a fairly easy install fit your electrician should be fairly cheap too.

safer than a granny charger they tend to melt the socket your using sooner or later.

This could be a good compromise as building works are planned that will necessitate the consumer unit and meter being moved in or around February. I’ll check with BMW if it’s ok for the guarantee.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
13 Amp charging off a three pin will be fine.

If you have no at home charging until the Podpoint is installed, you can probably just about live with it.

If you have no at home charging at all ever, save yourself the pain and buy a Prius.

Reactions: Hookster

·
Registered
40 Leaf
230 Posts
I’ll check with BMW if it’s ok for the guarantee.
This will not affect your BMW warranty, all charging protocols and connectors are standard.

That charger is good quality, I charged my BMW 225xe with one of those for 14 months.

I upgraded to its 32a bigger brother when I brought my leaf.

I still charge my leaf on the old 16a at my shop sometimes.

I can vouch for its quality and reliability.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi! I should be getting my car next week, but my charger install has been delayed for the same reason.

But in my case, the DNO (Electricity Northwest) are doing the unlooping for free in a couple of weeks. Charger install booked in shortly after (not podpoint!). I’d try contacting your DNO directly.
On with that this morning and its Northern Powergrid so hopefully some progress can be made.

Good luck with yours!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts