Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does such a thing exist? For example if we bought a type-2 car to accompany our LEAF would there be such a thing to enable us to plug an adapter on the tethered type-1 cable and then have a type-2 or whatever other plug we required on the other end?

Does that even make sense?!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
@Paul I searched for this mythical device before installing the socketted type 2 charger as I already have a type 1 tethered unit.

Advice was conflicting, from it should work to its so illegal you may be publicly birched for using such a thing :)

From what I understand you can do type 2 socket to type 1 plug but not the other way round, so best bet would be install a type 2 socket charger and then you have the option of using a type 2 to type 1 cable or a type 2 to type 2 cable

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
But imagine you didn't have that foresight and had a tethered type-1 on the UK Gov grant scheme, how useful would an adapter be? Very I'd imagine?
Or you could just get a nice electrician to change the Type 1 plug for a Type 2 as and when (and, if you're organised enough to get this done before your new car arrives, ask him to install an external 13-amp socket, too, and just use your EVSE in the meantime. Not that I've thought that far ahead, obviously. Helps that my nephew is said electrician...)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
But then where do I plug in the type-1 car? I'm saying in the situation you start with one, but end up with another as well.
Ah, dammit, missed the "as well" bit.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
But then where do I plug in the type-1 car? I'm saying in the situation you start with one, but end up with another as well.
In this case, I'd make damn sure the new car came with an EVSE and just install an external 13-amp socket. (If your second driver is anything like my wife, then the 2nd car would need charging only occasionally and the 13-amp would be more than sufficient).

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In this case, I'd make damn sure the new car came with an EVSE and just install an external 13-amp socket. (If your second driver is anything like my wife, then the 2nd car would need charging only occasionally and the 13-amp would be more than sufficient).
Well that seems very sensible indeed. :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The data protocol is exactly the same. Which is why you can have a type 2 charge socket on the wall and have a J1772 connector on the other end. There is no reason why you should not have such an adaptor, or change your charge unit for a type2 socketed version and then have the appropriate leads. What make is yours?
Sockets are available to make such a device, but not cheap. The only concern would be in having a really long cable as a result of this, that could be way too small for the cable run. But perfectly OK if you have a 16amp supply and use 32amp cables.
Do not use 13amp sockets, except as a last resort.
Use 16amp if you must. 13amps are not designed for long term high current usage, the L pin gets very hot as the fuse holder introduces extra resistance. I have loads of these I have taken off peoples charge leads where the plastic insulator on the pin shaft has melted. I have also had two from customers where the plug had melted into the socket. Not nice. This is especially a problem if you have waterproof sockets like the MK ones that are so enclsed that the plug has no cooling and so melts even faster. 16amp plugs and sockets are made for heavy industrial usage. I supply a version that screws down on the cable with a silicone seal rather than a feeble PVC gaiter, many of which split. I would always use this type. Not even more expensive either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts