Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Joined the ranks of GTE owners on the 2nd January and impressed so far but puzzled by some things about the car. I know I should read the manual more....but have you seen the size of it!

I appreciate that since collection it has be wet cold and miserable (I live in the North West by choice...honest!) but when I charge up overnight my range has not been greater than 22 miles when I start up in the morning and today it was 17 miles. Am I doing something wrong? I have a charging point being fitted on Wednesday. I understand cold affects the battery performance but the range soon drops at a rate that is higher than the miles covered? My car is a pre week 22 car that had 12 miles on the clock when I picked it up so its been sat in a compound somewhere for quite a while. Will this affect the battery performance? The price I paid for the car was fantastic (www.DrivetheDeal.com super saver) so not too concerned about how long its been sat around but I seem to have the worlds noisiest windscreen wipers, front and rear. From experience of similar systems like car net fitted to BMW's I know I wont miss it.

Other than that the car is great and the ride quality eclipses my previous BMW three series and I love that you have to look at the rev counter sometimes to see if the engine is on. Build quality is good but mpg is IMHO poor averaging 44 mpg as most of my miles are long distance (covered 1200 miles in first week!) and the fuel tank is a bit small. It could do with a bit more storage space to hide away things like the charging cables. What mode does everyone favour rather than the default EV from start? Not really used GTE yet as I'm old fashioned and still believe in running cars in before going over 3500 revs ( I know modern engines are different but its an old habit)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
When you get home and before you switch the car off, switch off the heating, rear demist etc. In the morning and after it is fully charged, you should see 30-31 miles indicated before you switch on heating, etc. If not, then something weird is going on. Do you by any chance live at the top of a hill? Some EVs base their range prediction on recent history of driving. Not clear to me that the GTE does, but it's a possibility.

One other thing: do you set departure times in the e-manager? There's a feature there that allows you to cap the charge below 100%. You'd want to make sure that is not set, ie. set to 100%.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Eugene, I will try the all off thing and see if it works. Yes sadly my profile is mainly long distance motorway miles so not ideal. In fairness it's cleaner than diesel and probably only 10mpg worse off....I will console myself with the £200+per month BIK saving over my old tractor.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Last few days I've been leaving work with "full" battery 30/31 miles.

Dark and raining, with heating only on, the car doesn't get me the 9 miles journey on battery alone.

When I first got it in warm august/September was easily able to commute with over 10 miles battery left.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes VW have been very quiet about how cold weather affects the ev range...got enough on their plate I guess...

Is it just me but are the VW dealer's very unknowable about their EV products? When looking to buy a GTE I struggled to find any sales staff that had any ideas about the car. Reading this forum I'm not optimistic that VW customer service's will be any better :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I charge my car in the middle of the night via the "off-peak" electricity rate, by setting a departure time on the head unit in the car ( no e,remote facility ) from September to November I would receive the full 30 miles of range in the morning. I have noticed that this has dropped to between 27 to 28 miles now due to the cold weather I think ?.
Some mornings it show's 30 miles but it does alternate a little the car is parked on the drive so receives no protection from the cold - last night the temp fell to -2 degrees !!!.
The electric range I use falls more quickly now the weather has turned colder, in September the full charge of 30 miles is used much more slowly, bring on the spring I say !!!.
I do agree with Eugene that the concept of the PHEV is that short journeys is how you build up your MPG figure.
Constant motorway driving is NOT going to return the high MPG's that you would expect to receive from the GTE.
My previous Golf was a 1.4 TSI ACT GT and returned a pretty constant 52 - 53 MPG in the summer months.
In the winter this would reduce to between 42 - 45 MPG driving the same journeys !.
The first figure I returned in the GTE in September was:-
820 miles covered over a period of 35 days, using around 36 Litres of petrol. The car recorded an average 107 MPG. The same journeys at the moment are returning between 85 - 90 MPG.
I would charge the car almost every night and run on electric power for short trips, but releasing the "E Button" on sections of road that had a greater speed of 40 MPH, then switch back into electric mode for town driving or if crawling in a traffic jam !!. The heater really does drain the range very quickly. I do try to use the electric mode as much as possible because I am addicted to the instant toque & the silence ride I have to say.
I would NOT go back to a ICE car again, even if the running costs where the same on the GTE ( but there not )
The GTE is the perfect introduction to a part electric car for somebody who is just getting interested in electric cars but just can not make the huge step towards a BEV after owning ICE cars over many years. I have owned about 4 Golfs now and about the same amount of Polo's over the years and I can say the GTE is the best so far by a long way. Never chosen the DSG before but it works so well in the GTE ( not that manual is an option of course here )
My dream car ........ ..esla model S - Before having the GTE I would have not even know what a Tesla was !!!!!.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Last few days I've been leaving work with "full" battery 30/31 miles.

Dark and raining, with heating only on, the car doesn't get me the 9 miles journey on battery alone.

When I first got it in warm august/September was easily able to commute with over 10 miles battery left.
Thinking about it, I only get about 10 miles in e-mode at the moment. My 5 mile commute is mostly on dual carriageways with a speed limit of 60-70. When I get home there is only 1-2 miles left on the range. however, I think it's still cheaper than doing the trip using an ICE.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Try using "e.mode" when you leave home and when you are on the slower A-roads, then when you hit the dual carriage way, lift the "e. button" to bring in the ICE - see if that improves the situation. Remember when in "e-mode" and you have the heater on, the drain on the battery is heavy. By alternating between electric and ICE you are heating the car by the heat from the ICE and not pulling from the battery. Its about finding a balance between electric and ICE together with picking the power output to suit the conditions / type of roads you are on for the journey I find.
At this time of the year ( winter ) and you study the drain on the cold battery, it comes as no surprize.
Situation :- Low outside temp, heater - lights - wipers - heated rear window etc, all running, combinded with motorway / dual carraige way speeds has to be the "kiss of death" towards the drain on the battery.
Different story in the spring, best time for EV use maybe, max range - low drain on the battery.
Summer has a drain on the battrey when using the air-con if you need it !.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your comments much appreciated. I will learn to love ev I'm sure so roll on the spring :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts