Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote the following in another thread, but I think it is worth its own.

switching out battery instead of charging
We live in Shropshire and travel around Wales a lot (relatives). We can almost always reach our destination without charging and then charge there. But if you live in much of Wales and need a rapid charger it must be difficult.

The Welsh Government announced a strategic network of chargers way back in 2018: Electric charging points on strategic road links in Wales given £2million funding boost | GOV.WALES

A few have been put in (at the Welsh Assembly building in Aberystwyth for example!), but nothing like a network.

It looks like the funding did lead to some pen pushing, with a report being issued in October 2019: https://senedd.wales/laid documents/cr-ld12782/cr-ld12782 -e.pdf. It's frankly hilarious, with 8 recommendations, none of which say that anything should be done. Recommendation 5 recommends not to over promise!

But there is some sign of action. Sell2Wales issued an announcement in January 2020 that there would be a workshop to commence a procurement process for the "Development of rapid Electric Vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure throughout Wales ": View Notice - Sell2Wales.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wrote the following in another thread, but I think it is worth its own.

We live in Shropshire and travel around Wales a lot (relatives). We can almost always reach our destination without charging and then charge there. But if you live in much of Wales and need a rapid charger it must be difficult.

The Welsh Government announced a strategic network of chargers way back in 2018: Electric charging points on strategic road links in Wales given £2million funding boost | GOV.WALES

A few have been put in (at the Welsh Assembly building in Aberystwyth for example!), but nothing like a network.

It looks like the funding did lead to some pen pushing, with a report being issued in October 2019: https://senedd.wales/laid documents/cr-ld12782/cr-ld12782 -e.pdf. It's frankly hilarious, with 8 recommendations, none of which say that anything should be done. Recommendation 5 recommends not to over promise!

But there is some sign of action. Sell2Wales issued an announcement in January 2020 that there would be a workshop to commence a procurement process for the "Development of rapid Electric Vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure throughout Wales ": View Notice - Sell2Wales.
your talking the welsh goverment here, dont hold your breath, as an example, english building regs, updated and ammended 2013.. welsh regs... sorry, we havent had the time to do it ??.. thats why a disabled person in england can flick a tripswitch up from a wheelchair.. but a welshie has to climb over the toilet then use a stick to do the same thing...

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62Kwhr
163 Posts
See Thomas Evans posts in the charging locations thread. He works hard for Carmarthenshire, which makes up for the layabouts in Powys. There's a rapid at the Metropole in Llandrindod Wells, and Thomas has got his area covered. but I gave up trying to get between Oswestry and Milford Haven before these were in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts