Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm a Geography Undergraduate at the University of Sheffield and I am currently conducting research into the transition which will eventually be made from a regular fuel to an alternative fuel society. In order to do so I need to collect data from a range of target groups, including those who own electric vehicles (this is where you guys come in!).

If you could be kind enough to complete the questionnaire linked below, it will only take 5 minutes. The questions are based around how you interact with your vehicle and how you understand the transition from a regular fuel based society to take place.

Transition from Regular Fuel to Alternative Fuel Vehicles

If you have any questions please let me know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,568 Posts
I have completed your survey. I do wonder how you are going to make sense of the answers. Sorry I did not attempt to define 'sustainability'. You can probably find several threads on here already disputing that one!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I didn’t go to university so I wonder how the undergraduate system works. Are you given a list of topics to do the research on and you choose one from that?
It’s just that there are a few of these questionnaires that come up on the forum every year with similar questions and similar misunderstandings or omissions about the technology, social, and economic realities of alternatively fuelled vehicles.
I always imagined university research being more along the lines of investigating something new rather than multiple people doing the same thing over and over, year after year, and never feeding their results back into the system to improve it.

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
I always imagined university research being more along the lines of investigating something new rather than multiple people doing the same thing over and over, year after year, and never feeding their results back into the system to improve it.

Third year projects help undergraduate students develop the skills needed for research. They might well be doing the same or similar thing as previous years.

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
In a good module, students will go through all the steps including design, research ethics, collecting data, perform analysis and write up the results. They should be guided by an instructor at each step. This is a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hello from Sheffield :)

Filled it in - anything else EV related that comes up, just shout. So long as it's not hydrogen fuel cell related, because they're not worth my - or anyone's - time.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Filled it in. Some of my answers dont match your questions but hopefully guide you to better ones next time.
(for example, why do SO MANY of these surveys ask if you know where your nearest public charger is when that's an irrelevance to most current EV drivers?)
And why focus on "sustainability" which is a woollier concept than Brexit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have completed your survey. I do wonder how you are going to make sense of the answers. Sorry I did not attempt to define 'sustainability'. You can probably find several threads on here already disputing that one!

Good Luck!
Thanks a lot Tom! I am going to be using mainly qualitative analysis of the answers which are open questions, this is where I will be able to gain data which engages with the opinions on the transition and how individual's interact with electric vehicles (or in the survey alternative fuel!). For the closed questions, these are mostly for demographic defining which will be useful to understand the societal structures which might influence opinion. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn’t go to university so I wonder how the undergraduate system works. Are you given a list of topics to do the research on and you choose one from that?
It’s just that there are a few of these questionnaires that come up on the forum every year with similar questions and similar misunderstandings or omissions about the technology, social, and economic realities of alternatively fuelled vehicles.
Thanks for you comments! As I am in my 3rd year I am conducting a research project which is unique in its format and aims, however as you can probably imagine due to the sheer amount of research out there and resources available until you get to Masters/PHD level it is difficult to conduct research into a topic which has not yet been covered. The idea is then that from this study I would go on and take a more defined position within the field of study and this is likely where the research conducted would be researching something new. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Filled it in. Some of my answers dont match your questions but hopefully guide you to better ones next time.
(for example, why do SO MANY of these surveys ask if you know where your nearest public charger is when that's an irrelevance to most current EV drivers?)
And why focus on "sustainability" which is a woollier concept than Brexit.
Hi Joe, thanks a lot! It is always useful to get some pointers!
The reason I want to look into public charging is because this project also looks at regular car owners and those who don't own cars. It is likely that infrastructure available will influence people's decision to invest in EV now and in the future, so understanding current accessibility will be useful for the study's aims. I am sorry I should have perhaps made this clearer in the survey!
The reason behind the having sustainability as a backing theme is becauseI believe it will be useful to understand how an individual's understanding and definition of sustainability coincides with their engagement with vehicles (both EV and regular fuel). I know it is a tricky question to answer because it is very broad!
Hope this helps!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,250 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm a Geography Undergraduate at the University of Sheffield and I am currently conducting research into the transition which will eventually be made from a regular fuel to an alternative fuel society. In order to do so I need to collect data from a range of target groups, including those who own electric vehicles (this is where you guys come in!).

If you could be kind enough to complete the questionnaire linked below, it will only take 5 minutes. The questions are based around how you interact with your vehicle and how you understand the transition from a regular fuel based society to take place.

Transition from Regular Fuel to Alternative Fuel Vehicles

If you have any questions please let me know!

Thanks!
I'm sorry but I can't take the questionnaire because it appears to be based on a fundamental bias, which I will explain.

You have asked "What was the reason(s) for your decision to invest in an alternative fuel vehicle?" as if the vehicle's 'alternativeness' was a feature of why I took one.

There is a principle-bias here in which the survey is founded on the assumption that people consider the 'fuel-alternativeness' in their choice, when it might have had nothing to do with it. As a result you are going to discover from the survey that people pick cars based on their 'fuel-alternativeness' and this will be a conclusion you draw, but you draw it because you asked it.

I'll give you another example by analogy; you have gone to a University where the vice-chancellors like to live it up on expenses. I ask this survey question; "What was your reason for choosing from universities where vice-chancellors abuse their expenses?" and the results of this survey will be that students want their vice-chancellors to abuse their expenses, because that is a feature of their university choice.

I am sure enough people won't find the protocol semantics troubling to them, and you'll get the responses you are after, but remember to ask open questions not leading questions, else you'll get the answer that your questions are leading towards.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,495 Posts
Filled in the questionnaire as well.. the questions could do with a rethought though.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thanks for you comments! As I am in my 3rd year I am conducting a research project which is unique in its format and aims, however as you can probably imagine due to the sheer amount of research out there and resources available until you get to Masters/PHD level it is difficult to conduct research into a topic which has not yet been covered. The idea is then that from this study I would go on and take a more defined position within the field of study and this is likely where the research conducted would be researching something new. Hope this helps!
It does indeed. All the very best with your studies and here’s to the future when you put it into practice to help us all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry but I can't take the questionnaire because it appears to be based on a fundamental bias, which I will explain.

You have asked "What was the reason(s) for your decision to invest in an alternative fuel vehicle?" as if the vehicle's 'alternativeness' was a feature of why I took one.

There is a principle-bias here in which the survey is founded on the assumption that people consider the 'fuel-alternativeness' in their choice, when it might have had nothing to do with it. As a result you are going to discover from the survey that people pick cars based on their 'fuel-alternativeness' and this will be a conclusion you draw, but you draw it because you asked it.

I'll give you another example by analogy; you have gone to a University where the vice-chancellors like to live it up on expenses. I ask this survey question; "What was your reason for choosing from universities where vice-chancellors abuse their expenses?" and the results of this survey will be that students want their vice-chancellors to abuse their expenses, because that is a feature of their university choice.

I am sure enough people won't find the protocol semantics troubling to them, and you'll get the responses you are after, but remember to ask open questions not leading questions, else you'll get the answer that your questions are leading towards.
Hi Donald and thanks for your comments. Not a problem that you feel you can't complete the survey!

It may have come across that there is a researcher bias within the study. I can confirm that the consideration of 'fuel alternativeness' when purchasing a vehicle is not one of my main research aims.

The aim of this study is to understand how the public (which is split into various target groups, with EV owners being one of those) perceive the transition from a vehicle society which is currently powered predominately by regular fuel to an alternative fuel society. I am interested in the objective opinions of the target audiences and I did not intend to apply any bias within the questions. I have ensured that any aims or personal objectives have been isolated from my questioning and this has been constructed alongside field experts who would also pick up on this if I tried to do so!

Upon analysis if I do find that the data has been skewed i any form, I will produce another survey. Thanks a lot for you comments, it is always useful to get feedback!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Filled in the questionnaire as well.. the questions could do with a rethought though.
Hi Dave, thanks a lot for completing the questionnaire!

I would be really interested to hear you comments regarding the questions, would you be happy to pass these onto me via a message? Thanks!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,250 Posts
Hi Donald and thanks for your comments. Not a problem that you feel you can't complete the survey!

It may have come across that there is a researcher bias within the study. I can confirm that the consideration of 'fuel alternativeness' when purchasing a vehicle is not one of my main research aims.

The aim of this study is to understand how the public (which is split into various target groups, with EV owners being one of those) perceive the transition from a vehicle society which is currently powered predominately by regular fuel to an alternative fuel society. I am interested in the objective opinions of the target audiences and I did not intend to apply any bias within the questions. I have ensured that any aims or personal objectives have been isolated from my questioning and this has been constructed alongside field experts who would also pick up on this if I tried to do so!

Upon analysis if I do find that the data has been skewed i any form, I will produce another survey. Thanks a lot for you comments, it is always useful to get feedback!
Based on your reassurance, I have therefore completed the questionnaire so you get enough category data to practically work with.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hi Joe, thanks a lot! It is always useful to get some pointers!
The reason I want to look into public charging is because this project also looks at regular car owners and those who don't own cars. It is likely that infrastructure available will influence people's decision to invest in EV now and in the future, so understanding current accessibility will be useful for the study's aims. I am sorry I should have perhaps made this clearer in the survey!
The reason behind the having sustainability as a backing theme is becauseI believe it will be useful to understand how an individual's understanding and definition of sustainability coincides with their engagement with vehicles (both EV and regular fuel). I know it is a tricky question to answer because it is very broad!
Hope this helps!
I'm still not seeing your reasoning. Public charger availability near where you live is extremely unlikely to be a factor for anyone other than the very small minority of EV owners who dont have home charging. On your main travel routes, especially longer travels, yes that is a key concern.

The infrastructure available that is of use to you is the infrastructure that is nowhere near your house, because if its near your house you dont need it!

Reactions: donald

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
Public charger availability near where you live is extremely unlikel
Yes. Current EVs disrupt the "petrol station" model. We charge our cars at home and rarely need charging infrastructure near where we live.

It is a bit depressing to see chargers go in where they aren't going to be used. Electric cars don't mesh well with the "Petrol station" model where the owner refills the car once a week.

A 20 or 30 minute rapid charge is acceptable during an en-route break. Example: Drive 120 miles, stop to eat lunch and rapid charge. Drive another 120 miles arriving at the final destination

A weekly 30 minute local rapid charge is not. Example: Drive 2 miles to the local Shell station. Queue for 30 minutes until the charger is available. Charge for 30 minutes. Time wasted: 1 hour.

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
7kW destination at the local supermarket is not helpful. Example: Drive 5 miles to Tesco super store. Charge 30 minutes while shopping. Drive 5 miles home. Car has 2 miles more range than when you set out to go shopping.

Sure people will plug in if it is free to use. It it useful? No.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts