Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a trip next month from the midlands to Frankfurt in my Ioniq, it looks like I can mostly make the trip using the Ionity network but wondered if anyone had any good network suggestions other than Ionity (along the Calais -> Bruges -> Cologne -> Frankfurt route)

I’m only interested in providers who have at least 2 reliable CCS connectors at each station. I’ve done a search along my route on Chargemap but the UI is pretty poor and takes ages to filter through all the points.

My plan currently takes me to Maidstone, Wetteren Zuid, Bierset, Bad Honnef

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm doing a trip next month from the midlands to Frankfurt in my Ioniq, it looks like I can mostly make the trip using the Ionity network but wondered if anyone had any good network suggestions other than Ionity (along the Calais -> Bruges -> Cologne -> Frankfurt route)

I’m only interested in providers who have at least 2 reliable CCS connectors at each station. I’ve done a search along my route on Chargemap but the UI is pretty poor and takes ages to filter through all the points.

My plan currently takes me to Maidstone, Wetteren Zuid, Bierset, Bad Honnef
I have been looking at charging on the continent for a future trip but mainly in France/Switzerland. ChargeMap is a good and extensive network.

Have you signed up to Shell Recharge/NewMotion? They supply a free card in the UK that you link to a bank account.

I have found that on just about every check of the same charge point accessed through ChargeMap and Shell/NewMotion, the Shell card recharge prices are always slightly cheaper. I find the Shell Recharge app very good as well. Might be worth having both!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove to the Netherlands via Dover. I mostly used the free Lidl fast chargers.

A new motion card (free) is a must as it works nearly everywhere if you get stuck.

abetterrouteplanner website is a must.

I also drove an Ioniq. I was surprised by how much my KWH/mile dropped, as the roads over there are really clear, so you can drive at 80 MPH constantly (the speed limit) which really effected range.

Fon

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hope you will enjoy your trip!
1. You will need PlugShare, Chargemap to find chargers plus at lease NewMotion (Shell Recharge) app. I would also recommend Plugsurfing - just in case.
I would also recommend getting RFID card (eg. Newmotion). Although apps work 95% I have already come across several chargers i couldn't activate via app. Card is way more reliable (and free!).
2. If you need to charge before crossing the channel then IONITY Maidstone is the best by far. Then Ionity just past Gent.
3. You have some free chargers (Lidl, Kaufland). That may not be very reliable option (free = often occupied) but then you can kill some time just doing shopping. Lidl @Bruges is good option and there are others in Belgium / NL. Kaufland in Germany. You can find them in Chargemap. They are not open 24/7 usually.
4. Plan ahead (NewMotion) - some chargers may be quite expensive (especially Belgium). Some (many!) slow chargers are much more expensive than rapids (eg. plugging car overnight in Vienna costs ~100E).
5. Avoid:
  • Q8 Kortijksesteenweg in Gent (same problem as Ecotricity in UK)
  • E40 Drongen service (just past Baarle) - never works (screen broken for last two years and nothing repaired!)
And the last piece of advice: take granny charger and heavy duty schuko plug. Hopefully you will never need it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove to the Netherlands via Dover. I mostly used the free Lidl fast chargers.

A new motion card (free) is a must as it works nearly everywhere if you get stuck.

abetterrouteplanner website is a must.

I also drove an Ioniq. I was surprised by how much my KWH/mile dropped, as the roads over there are really clear, so you can drive at 80 MPH constantly (the speed limit) which really effected range.

Fon
A better route planner has been a revelation - thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you will enjoy your trip!
1. You will need PlugShare, Chargemap to find chargers plus at lease NewMotion (Shell Recharge) app. I would also recommend Plugsurfing - just in case.
I would also recommend getting RFID card (eg. Newmotion). Although apps work 95% I have already come across several chargers i couldn't activate via app. Card is way more reliable (and free!).
2. If you need to charge before crossing the channel then IONITY Maidstone is the best by far. Then Ionity just past Gent.
3. You have some free chargers (Lidl, Kaufland). That may not be very reliable option (free = often occupied) but then you can kill some time just doing shopping. Lidl @Bruges is good option and there are others in Belgium / NL. Kaufland in Germany. You can find them in Chargemap. They are not open 24/7 usually.
4. Plan ahead (NewMotion) - some chargers may be quite expensive (especially Belgium). Some (many!) slow chargers are much more expensive than rapids (eg. plugging car overnight in Vienna costs ~100E).
5. Avoid:
  • Q8 Kortijksesteenweg in Gent (same problem as Ecotricity in UK)
  • E40 Drongen service (just past Baarle) - never works (screen broken for last two years and nothing repaired!)
And the last piece of advice: take granny charger and heavy duty schuko plug. Hopefully you will never need it.
Thanks for all the tips, super useful (y)

With a New Motion card, plugsurfing fob & a better route planner in hand it's almost looking worry free.

Unless I'm mistaken Ionity still seem to be the only multi-stall provider, but at least backups are easier to track down now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, honestly I would rely on Ionity only. It works flawlessly and there is redundancy. And it's also cheap!
The only reason I mentioned supermarkets or malls with rapid charger is that you may be bored after 2 or 3 charge stops at service stations.

Which Ionic do you have?
And when are you planning the trip?

I will be driving again in Europe (UK>BE>NL>DE>PL) for Christmas holidays on 21 December. 850miles so I'm planning about 5 stops on Ionity stations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With a New Motion card, plugsurfing fob & a better route planner in hand it's almost looking worry free.

I saw a video a while back with a UK "reporter" taking an i3 from the UK to the continent, and got stuck because his New Motion card wasn't enabled outside of the UK. Any idea if this is a real issue, or if it's just one of those things that only happens to the press?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Never heard of that.
The whole point of NewMotion is that you can use any charger while roaming. You don't pre-load cash in advance.
You are simply billed to your credit/debit card.

I've done 3K miles Euro trip this summer and I was able to charge even thou my credit card linked to NewMotion account expired couple months earlier. I forgot to update my account so they simply send me 2 invoices for clear via bank transfer.

It looks like total lack of preparation from a "reporter" (was account active at all??) or trying to find a sensational news.

What did happen to me is:
  • charger showing online when there is no charger at all in that location (happened to me 3x in Berlin and 3x in Bruges with slow chargers and 1x rapid charger near Kassel, Germany)
  • unable to start the charge: broken charger, no connection, the charger didn't start from the app but works ok using RFID card or the charger didn't start from NewMotion but started ok from Plugsurfing
  • charger in restricted area / out of hours (some shops)
  • different advertised price and different billing value (NewMotion bills about 2 months after charging)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, honestly I would rely on Ionity only. It works flawlessly and there is redundancy. And it's also cheap!
The only reason I mentioned supermarkets or malls with rapid charger is that you may be bored after 2 or 3 charge stops at service stations.

Which Ionic do you have?
And when are you planning the trip?

I will be driving again in Europe (UK>BE>NL>DE>PL) for Christmas holidays on 21 December. 850miles so I'm planning about 5 stops on Ionity stations.
Thanks, I guess the beauty of the Ioniq is that the stops will only be around 20 mins at Ionity stations.

I've got a 2017 Premium, and going in mid December.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts