Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2015 I developed a prototype of a route planner for EVs. It took into account range of the vehicle, type and speed of charger and it used Google Maps to create a route from A to B creating a travel plan with planned stops to charge enroute.

At the time I had other commitments and I moth-balled it on Github and make it free for anyone else to continue the development of it. Unfortunately, no one has taken up the task.

Since then a lot has changed both in my life and in the EV arena and so I am going to see if it is feasible to resurrect the project and to get something working again.

The original project was not a finished app. It was quite raw code and really nothing much more than a proof of concept but it kinda worked. Again, this time, I will continue in that vain and anything I produce will remain work in progress for some time I expect but I would like to think that eventually I can produce something that is reliable enough to make it available to the general public. In the meantime, I will make interim test versions available to members of this forum in the hope that your use will help me knock it into shape!

It will take a while to get it up and running again. Some of the APIs I use will have changed (Open Charge Map, Google Maps etc) and I may change who I use to get the charge point data... for example... is ZapMap an option? I am also going to look into using Open Street Map for mapping and route planning. I have a lot of research to do!!!

In the meantime, watch this space :)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,123 Posts
I thought ZapMap got their database from the National Chargepoint registry

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
If this is a commercial venture, you're surely going to need a USP to compete with the rest, no? Apps like abetterrouteplanner are using real-world acquired mile per kWh and elevation info, so it's going to be hard to out-do that kind of knowledge. What might be really fun is to have a master-app, which runs sub-apps like zap-map, etc etc, in their own hidden VMs, extracting the goodies out of them that you want to present. User could then have their own customisable display, selecting what items they want to see, and if that info is available from 2 sub-apps, then there's a degree of reliability coming in that any single app's unlikely to have. Grabbing the best bits out of each app would be a fantastic result if it's do-able!

I typically run 2 satnavs in my Ampy, the built-in one is a bit newer than my Mio portable one, but refuses to acknowledge the existence of C roads, and hates routing me on a B if there's an A or better still a motorway to be had! If I turn onto a C-road, suddenly it shows up, and suddenly my route's a few miles shorter!! So it's pathetic on trying to find the shortest route, which is frequently the one using the least leccy; otoh it's easy to zoom in & out with, and does a nice job of dual-screening itself at roundabouts/junctions, and does a decent job of rerouting when there's a traffic incident. So a combo of both works better for me that either does on its own.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't researched the other offerings that are available yet and that is something I will have to do before starting. What I do know is that when it was available before people liked it!

I have no aspirations for it to make any money... it is more of a personal project really. But if it is good enough, and people like it and use it enough, then I might need to ask for a small contribution towards costs but to be honest... it wouldn't be much and it would have to be pretty good before I would charge anything and even then it would likely be through a voluntary contribution. The main issue with not charging anything before was that the Google Maps API had a very small limit on free use after which they charged and it wasn't cheap. I don't know if that is still the same but I will make that decision once I look at the details a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts