Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start this with the caveat that I've only used ZapMap and the free version of ABRP, and I've only had an EV three weeks so no long journeys or DC charging yet - but for me planning an EV route could be a LOT easier with a bit more help from the apps.

Firstly, if I want to travel from A to B, why can't the app show me ALL of the chargers on or near my route, rather than just the ones where it thinks I need to recharge? If there's a charger 120 miles away with a wonderful restaurant attached, that I'd reach about lunchtime, then I want to know about it, and I want to choose it, rather than the planner dismissing it because I'd still have 40% or whatever charge left.

Which leads me onto, charger facilities. I want to at the very least get a coffee and a toilet break when I charge, and probably a meal as well - so wouldn't it be nice if route planners showed what facilities are available? I really don't want to sit in the car recharging in the dark corner of a car park sucking on a Nuttalls Mintoe my gran dropped down between the seats last week whilst dreaming of Coffee and Doughnuts.

And finally, unless I think of something else, how about using WhatThreeWords for charger locations making them a bit easier to find?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes. Exactly. That is why I still do most of my long distance route planning myself rather than relying on the apps. Because sods law says they'll choose the ones with no facilities or that are unreliable. If it's going to show me a route I absolutely want to know where all the charging options are. WattsUp is pretty good for this with rapids.

ChargePlace Scotland has WhatThreeWords on their website when you go into charger details.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I hope it was a ~wrapped~ Nuttalls Mintoe.. I'm getting the age when I can plan a flask of tea but not the end result, so facilities are important to me. Wonderful restaurants are out though, how can you have a good meal without a glass of wine?

No long trips for me yet either, although I've done some fantasy planning, but like others not based on the apps' recommendations. Crossing France, for example, I'd very much like to avoid Ionity and their frankly laughable prices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts