Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Americana – Broadly defined as those cultural bits that we identify ourselves with at various moments in our history. For some, Americana defines us on a personal level.

When my unborn grandchildren study American cultural artifacts from the first half of the 21st century, I believe that they will look at the electric vehicle (EV) quick charger as a piece of Americana. Much like how the drive-in movie theatre defined the post-WWII America six decades ago, CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharger stations will be cultural icons of Generations Y and Z"

http://insideevs.com/ev-scenic-byways-historic-columbia-river-highway-nissan-leaf-driven-729-miles-in-33-hours/

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
fair play, the guy gave his leaf a proper thrashing!

We were making good time, and everything was drama free until pulling onto the I-5 on-ramp after a quick charge in Castle Rock, WA. With an average pack temp of 115 degrees (the highest temp sensor in the battery pack was showing an EV-melting 132.8 degrees), I tried to do a typical torque-loving acceleration onto the freeway. However, I was sent into sensory shock when the LEAF didn’t respond to the pedal to the metal efforts.

Looking at the dashboard display, I could see that the LEAF’s idiot-proofing was in full effect. The car’s computer had restricted power delivery by more than half and brake regeneration by a whopping 75%.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
His average energy economy of 2.4 means he must have been spanking it.

And some people thought we were running the pack hot. Nowhere near it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I've run mine up to the 9th white bar when I did 10 rapid charges in a day but I have no power restriction. Looks like power restriction doesn't kick in until the 10th temp bar (just into the red area).

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've seen seven after 5 RCs. But I was babying the car between stations to guarantee that we'd make it, and it was pretty chilly out.

I wonder how the car would perform after 5 RCs during another 2013-style UK summer (fingers crossed we have the same this year).

·
Banned
558 Posts
Opportunity wasted!
This guy had totally the wrong objectives - here is is in one of the US's great wildernesses - in a car with wife and kids and he is trashing his EV. Simply crazy! This was a place to camp out, have long walks on trails where you see no one - sit out on the deck and admire the sky's stunning complexity where there is absolutely no light pollution!
If I had to do this route, I would want a Harley' and I would take a week!
As for what defines 'Americana' in the 21st century - then I doubt if the EV will feature. in 2014 its very much a W.Coast phenomenon. I've looked into EV potential, in FL, and found there is no infrastructure, no cars and no interest. Cars are dirt cheap comparatively speaking and 'gas' is a bargain. $25 of gas will easily last a week. W.coast citizens are motivated by the environmental issues; however, Federal Govt were to take lead on a 'low carbon economy' - it will become a laughing stock!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Brian... you are in danger of assuming that other people share your likes, dislikes and values. For example... they might not be outdoor people and they might hate camping!

Who's to say his objectives are wrong... or right for that matter! We all do things for our own reasons and it isn't really for us to judge is it :) Whatever his objectives were they are his and shouldn't we respect them?

·
Banned
558 Posts
It's about exchanging ideas - things people do, things people say - you can echo - or you can extrapolate!
Its called 'craic' where i come from and its usually quite entertaining! It great when people chat along giving their take - the 'more the merrier'! Your right everyone doesn't think alike - that what make it interesting!

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay
1 - 8 of 8 Posts