Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting an EV, probably a Leaf.

I'm worried by the practicalities. My nearest Nissan dealer is about 30 minutes drive (the same applies to competitors such as Renault). The town I live in has multiple small independent garages, but I doubt any are geared up for fixing EVs. So the easy option is to get another Ford - the dealer is barely 5 minutes' walk, and any garage locally can service it.

I suppose I'm wondering how much bother the distance might be. Presumably my local garage can still do some work.
I get the impression that Leafs (say 2-3 years old) are reasonably reliable.
Are independent garages starting to do EV work? Or am I stuck with main dealers for the foreseeable future?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Main dealer EV servicing is a rip off. It seems to be about the same price as ICE servicing even though there are few consumables and fewer hours.

Trouble is, when I asked a local independent EV garage for the same service, it was more expensive.

·
Registered
Leaf 24kWh
2,406 Posts

I'm worried by the practicalities. My nearest Nissan dealer is about 30 minutes drive (the same applies to competitors such as Renault). The town I live in has multiple small independent garages, but I doubt any are geared up for fixing EVs. So the easy option is to get another Ford - the dealer is barely 5 minutes' walk, and any garage locally can service it.

I suppose I'm wondering how much bother the distance might be. Presumably my local garage can still do some work.
Are independent garages starting to do EV work? Or am I stuck with main dealers for the foreseeable future?
I get my local mechanic to "service" and MOT my old Leaf.
He can happily deal with all the non-HV bits and the HV-bits don't need regular maintenance anyway.

Reactions: Mart C

·
Registered
167 Posts
It depends on your lifestyle. If you rarely need a dealer then 30 minutes doesn't sound very far to me, but depends what else you are doing - whether you need to get to work. Having moved to a rural area both our dealers are at least 60 minutes away, more like 75 at busy times. Last time was a nice day and I took my bike, but then I wasn't working.

If the battery warranty is important to you then you need to use a dealer to get it checked....

·
Registered
108 Posts

Most electric cars are extremely reliable, much more so than any petrol or diesel car (now we all know any car can have issues). I would also consider the leaf one of the most reliable electric cars as it doesn't have battery cooling so is even simpler than most. I've a 2018 leaf and done 100k kms and the only issue was a small ticking in the internal fan when on low speed - most people wouldn't of noticed but in fairness to Nissan they replaced under warranty without any drama. Other than that its been absolutely perfect - in fact checked my brake pads because I thought they would need changing even for an ev shortly, only to find they are not even half used!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts