Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Wednesday night our Soul EV refused to accept a charge from either the brick or our Chargemaster tethered charger. It comes up in the car with "Charger Error." The blue lights don't come on but you can her the relay on the wall box/brick click on and then eventually give up and click off. This has happened once before about 2-3 months ago. It took a few days but was diagnosed as the On Board Charger and this was replaced under warranty. Apparently looking at the worldwide forums its common. The car has done 12,000 miles and is about 15 months old.

My local dealer Stoneacre of Lincoln told us they were too busy to take the car in until the 7th of February (5 days away!) It had enough miles on it so I took it there the next morning anyway in case they had a chance to look at it or a cancellation. I also rang Kia to see if any other dealers could look at the car earlier. They said no. The 7th was the earliest. They also told me in no uncertain terms that they were not "legally obliged to provide me with a courtesy car." I'm sure this is true but I'm also sure I would not point that out so forcefully to a customer that I'm supposed to be helping.

As of today the car is still broken. Stoneacre don't know whats wrong with it and we have been without a car for 8 days. A loan car has been requested but nobody can tell me when/if we will get it.

I would urge anyone to be very careful if buying/leasing a Kia. In my opinion their customer service is awful. When we were considering the car we were lent one direct from Kia withing 2-3 days for a week. Now that we have one it's strange that this is now not possible.

Sorry rant over. Just a word of warning. Its a great car but when it goes wrong....

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I think they need a lesson in consumer rights. I'd contact Consumer Direct in the first instance. Any breaches of consumer law will then get passed onto Trading Standards. Denying someone their consumer rights is a criminal offence.

Is there a fuse thingy you can unplug and plug back in? That might make it forget it had an issue then you can try charging again. If there are any rapid chargers handy I'd try one of those as it might just give a kick in the pants.

There's nothing worse than a car manufacturer that refuse to standby their product. Kia have a 7 year warranty so I expect decent service when it is needed.

Where did you buy/lease the car from?

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they need a lesson in consumer rights. I'd contact Consumer Direct in the first instance. Any breaches of consumer law will then get passed onto Trading Standards. Denying someone their consumer rights is a criminal offence.

Is there a fuse thingy you can unplug and plug back in? That might make it forget it had an issue then you can try charging again. If there are any rapid chargers handy I'd try one of those as it might just give a kick in the pants.

There's nothing worse than a car manufacturer that refuse to standby their product. Kia have a 7 year warranty so I expect decent service when it is needed.

Where did you buy/lease the car from?
Thanks srichards. Can you tell me which bits are in breach of my consumer rights? I will then make the call.
The Car was leased through Fleetdrive who are also trying to push Kia. I have no problem with them. I'm presuming my contract is actually with them though rather than Kia?

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
As it's leased then it's less straight forward. Also if you bought before October 2015 it's slightly different again.

I'm not an expert really so you really need to talk to Consumer Direct or check to see if you have legal cover/helpline with your home insurance as they would know how it all works.

You are paying for a working car so someone either has to fix the car with minimal inconvenience and compensate you for your losses eg reasonable alternative transport or provide you with a working car. Whether that is fleetdrive or the supplying car dealer I do not know.

As the same fault has re-occurred, when you bought it could be critical as after October 2015 could mean you could reject the car entirely.

It's not straight forward and I'm not an expert. I've just learnt bits from having to deal with a few faulty items.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I understand. After your message I was googling things but trying to get things to fit with my exact circumstances i.e. contract hire etc is never easy. I too read about being able to reject the car but I doubt very much that a once recurred fault and an 8 day wait would entitle me to do so yet. If it gets serious I will just pass it to our company Solicitor. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply.

On the positive side Kia have just confirmed I will be getting a loan car tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had the same problem, recovered to Kia and I've been told I can keep the hire car for as long as it takes.

Did it get fixed eventually?

Chris

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.. Car was returned to us Wednesday. It was indeed the On Board Charger again! My biggest complaint is the time from breakdown to actually looking at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rang the nearest service centre, who confirmed they could deal with the Smurf but not until the following week & no courtesy car. Mine's on a lease through Fleetdrive so rang the recovery line and they were straight on it, asked where I wanted the car taking so told them the local service centre. They rang me later to confirm the car had arrived safely but they realised they had no one trained to deal with it so it was being sent somewhere else and I could keep the hire car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update - on board charger failed. To quote "We've been in touch with Kia UK and this has never happened before to a Soul EV so they don't stock the part. It'll be a week or two before they ship it out." Think I should send them a link to this thread? At least they've said I can keep the hire car as long as it's needed, it's quite a nice car as ICEs go, now where do I get a refund on the petrol ;o)

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update - on board charger failed. To quote "We've been in touch with Kia UK and this has never happened before to a Soul EV so they don't stock the part. It'll be a week or two before they ship it out." Think I should send them a link to this thread? At least they've said I can keep the hire car as long as it's needed, it's quite a nice car as ICEs go, now where do I get a refund on the petrol ;o)
You definitely should. This is utter BS. Mines had two! If you want a copy of my correspondence from Kia for proof.....

BTW mine was authorised and then received by the dealer the next day on both occasions. Fitting must be easy as it was ready on the same day. There was of course the whole "we need to charge it to full before you can have it back" debacle but turned out they'd got my charging lead stuck in their machine and couldn't release it!

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
At least Kia have designed something that could break to be easily replaceable.

The rate of charger/motor failures seems to be higher than the usual engine failures you see in ICE cars. I'd be interested to know the actual stats.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least Kia have designed something that could break to be easily replaceable.

The rate of charger/motor failures seems to be higher than the usual engine failures you see in ICE cars. I'd be interested to know the actual stats.
It's the first one... Nothing to see here....

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Just wondering if theres an issue with charging speed. Have affected owners been charging at 16 or 32amp at home?
If its 32amp charging it could be the chargers on board cant regularly cope with 32amp and fail.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is a 16A one from the old leaf days so doubt it. I use the brick at least half the one too to benefit from the solar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Soul EV will now only intermittently charge from the Chargemaster socket at home, but will charge every time on Chademo at our nearest public charging point (CYC ) and this is about 1 mile from home!
Car is booked in for service at the end of the month, and they say they will look into the charging fault!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Rule out your Lead that came with the car. PLug in the granny lead and check that it is charging at normal rates. My type 2 lead had water ingress and was very intermittent. A lot of the time it would show the car needing 15 hrs too charge from 80%. and after 5 mins would cut the car off. I got a new lead under warranty this week. and all is well again..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts