Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the most recent Top Gear episode, there's been lots of discussion about whether designers have gotten EV styling right. There's a large movement of making EVs look futuristic, modern and pretty unique, but lots of people are saying they're ugly and undesirable.
What do you guys think?
Should EVs have their own, unique styling? Or should they follow design trends of conventional cars that we are all so familiar with?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went for the i3 due to its styling and the way it stands out from other cars.

To me, the i3 looks like an EV and not just another "car"

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,074 Posts
I'll just leave this here...
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
I think they should all look sleek end stunning.

Making them too quirky is definitely a barrier to entry for a lot of people, I have a 40 leaf, but I wouldn’t have dreamt of buying the MK1 even if the battery had been big enough.

Far too froggy and boggly eyed, awful looking thing.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
125 Posts
Aerodynamic equals a soap bar shape.
Hence all those f1 cars looking like lozenges?

Sorry, I don't think you've got that right - the clue is in the word - its the dynamics of air movement - getting air out of the way with minimal turbulance.

Optimum aerodynamics for something carrying people is a wedge, with tuning of the rear end to optimise airflow.

Anyway its academic - only the petrolhead equivalent care about speed - grown ups care about comfort and practicality?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,115 Posts

Sorry, I don't think you've got that right - the clue is in the word - its the dynamics of air movement - getting air out of the way with minimal turbulance.

Optimum aerodynamics for something carrying people is a wedge, with tuning of the rear end to optimise airflow.

Anyway its academic - only the petrolhead equivalent care about speed - grown ups care about comfort and practicality?
Lots of grown ups care about range and that's heavily effected by minimum drag.

High speed aerodynamics for cars is about stability and down force more than minimum drag.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also care about speed as I do lots of long haul motorway and dual carriageway trips. The aerodynamic efficiency at speed is critical to range (as noted by the next poster). The Model 3 seems to be much better than the Polestar 2 for efficiency and aerodynamic performance, which for me is the deciding factor between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,503 Posts

What are your qualifications in this field?

F1 cars aren’t going for efficiency, they’re after downforce.

Completely different problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts